Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Aussies are great!....no exception.... i love that people!

Greg Erskine work is wonderfull....the perfection in details....the care he had with each trace.

Congratulations dear Greg!

I am very proud to deserve your friendship.

I am also learning, a lot, because of you.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx today.jpg
    dx today.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 542
One more image...... just this one more

I cannot dennie that i am happy as a morning bird.

It is pretty...and made with junk parts, old parts sanded to fit inside small modern holes ..... they are smaller in diameter.

And the image is performing fine in big close ups....hummmm....nice!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• waterproof.jpg
    waterproof.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 485
Zobel wire and VBe wires soldered under the board.

Also the off set control can be seen in the attached image.

The orange wire is connected to ground...it comes from the zobel filter.

Red and brown wires are VBE multiplier wires...the red one is colector and the brown one is emitter.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• zobel and vbe wires.jpg
    zobel and vbe wires.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 437
Oh!...no one is able to make Greeks and Trojans satisfied.

Yeah!....someone had complained that VBe multiplier is complicated to be outside the board.

The transistors must be outside to work fine...at least under the board to some difficult crazy construction.....or some wire will have to travel from the board to the transistor that have to touch heatsink or output transistors!

The remotion was the base to colector and base to emitter resistances only...and can be installed hidden, without wires travelling over the board (sorry, but it is not pretty those wires travelling over).

Big fat Charlie is addicted to make "everybody happy"...but it is an enormous challenge.... Greeks, Trojans and some Spartans wants different things.

Grumpf.....grrrrr.....Nah!

regards,

Carlos:( :bawling: :hot: :dead:

Attachments

• vbe multiplier connection.jpg
    vbe multiplier connection.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 455
Thank you Sparkle...we are working hard

And now, many folks have already constructed, tested, and aproved.

Nordic is shacking his bonds today...poor Nordic...he will face dental sourgery tomorrow.

I hope everything runs fine with him...and also related your enterprises too.

Graham congratulated me yesterday too.....well.... congratulations returned to him also...as he gave technical and psychological support.

Also you used to help me a lot...thank you Sparkle.

regards,

Carlos

Congratulations on the arrival of your pcb's, Carlos !
Greg did a lovely job designing them :)
They sure took their time to cross the ocean, these things remind us how big the world is.
Sometimes talking on the internet makes us think the world is a small village,
delivery by mail sometimes shows us how big it really is.

I like the look of your pcb's, they look much less cluttered using more normal-sized caps.
Compared to yours the ones i'm using look like refrigerator-sized !
Also soldering the vbe-multiplier on the copper-side of the pcb is very smart,
you can simply attach the small pcb to any conducting surface.

I haven't done much to the DX lately, being happy with it the way it is.
I tried changing the small mkt input-caps to big Mundorf mkp (8.2 uF), i must say the difference i perceived is very, very small.
Some very slight improvement in bass and highs, but the difference is really too small to be sure.

The modification of the resistors in the powersupply-rails will be next on my list, i'm curious about what this will bring.

Best regards,

Klaas

I have had so little sleep these last two nights, they wont even need anaesthetics, they can just play soft music, and I'll go to sleep...

Thanks for the positive thoughts.... today is my birthday, and I can't even have cake because of the surgery tommorrow.... :bawling:

Hold thumbs for me, I'll probably come and type some stuff on drugs if I survive the surgery...

Happy birthday anyway Nordic :birthday:
(since you can't have the real thing)

:xfingers: keeping my fingers crossed for you tomorrow.

Remember Carlos' advice of taking the pain-killers BEFORE the pain. It really works !

Try to think of "two weeks from now, it will be a memory ", not about tomorrow.

Best regards,

Klaas

Thank you Klaas...good to have my pioneer back again.

I know you are busy with your work that is in the peak of production those days.

But i miss you presence, as you have already nice things to show and good comments here.....this thread value is supported by people alike you; Nordic, Greg and others that have constructed.

You thougths, during testings and modifications, are interesting to us...i will love to listen your conclusions during experiences with capacitors, values, and other modifications alike output transistors.

regards,

Carlos.

................................................................................................................

Happy birthday dear Nordic.

I hope you will feel yourself happy because you are advancing related a lot of things you intended to make.... many amplifiers made, as i could see many things published in our forum.

Also you have courage to face the dentist...and i will be with you in my mind since early morning, as we have difference in time.... i will be with you... sending positive energies...sending courage and calm to you.

Relax...everything will gonna be all rigth Nordic.

regards,

Carlos

I had a wisdom tooth removal in March, one week after the extraction I've tried a chewing gum and bang - my lower jaw bone broke.... but after all that, I have to say that my allergy causes much more pain than that isse with my teethes. Just remember that tiramisu is very delicious! cheers :D Markus

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Carlos,

I was just looking at your PCB picture and noticed that the feedback cap was physically larger than the bootstrap cap. This is usually not the case. Are you using funny voltage ratings? Of course you are. :D

Hi Nordic,

Good luck with the tooth. And I have noticed the relay board and will talk to you off line.

regards

Re: Oh!...no one is able to make Greeks and Trojans satisfied.

destroyer X said:

Big fat Charlie is addicted to make "everybody happy"...but it is an enormous challenge.... Greeks, Trojans and some Spartans wants different things.

Grumpf.....grrrrr.....Nah!

regards,

Carlos:( :bawling: :hot: :dead:

First of all, it needs a significant elucidation about the name of Greece. The original name is not Greece, it is Hellas. The name Greece – in ancient Latin “Graeci” from the verb “graecari” that means in English “have fun” - it exists at the duration of Roman Empire for the region of ancient Greece after she first had been shaped in kingdom from Philippe B’ the king of Macedonians and father of Alexander the Great. Actually the word “graekos” is used for first time by Aristotle who named such the Dorians – race of which they comes the Spartans and the Macedonians – that lived in the region of Dodoni in north-western Greece. Also she is known the English phrase “that's Greek to me” which means incomprehensible words. In the Spanish the stranger that spoke an incomprehensible language was named “griego”. From Conquistadores the word “griego” came up to Latin America and was paraphrased in the Mexican word “gringo”!
The ancient Greeks they come of 4 races: 1.Achaeans, 2.Dorians, 3.Ionians and 4.Aeolians. The Ionians lived mainly in Athens, in islands and in the west region of today Turkey. Ôherefore some historian and archaeologist (between them is included also Herodotus) suppose that Trojans they was Ionians also. The Achaeans are also reported with the name Danaos. The Achaeans (Danaos) and the Spartans (Lacedaemonians) they lived in the Peloponnesus in northern Greece. The war of Troy terminated with the victory of Greeks (which of leaders were the Achaeans and the Spartans) thanks to the Trojan horse which invented the cunning Greek king of Ithaca Odysseus.
Trojans before they put the wooden horse in their city, were asked the wise Aenias which said to them the known phrase: “Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes”. This is translated in English:
“FEAR THE GREEKS EVEN WHEN THE OFFER GIFTS”!!!
A sta la vista Carlos
Fotios

Thank you fótios, nice lesson of history....and you made to the correct one

I love ancient history and i had fun reading your text.

It was printed to read once more.

Very good... a pitty that i had not asked you something about it before.

Also i would be happy to know something about those 300 of Sparta...but maybe a direct mail will be more adequate, as this is not really "audio electronics"...... but, even not beeing electronics, i love those things....very nice...thanks twice.

Go directly to tell me some about Spartans...also Termópilas...please;

panzertoo@yahoo.com

by the way, to pay your kindness to explain me those things, i will be happy to tell you that Hasta la vista.....or Asta la vista is Spanish language..... in Brasil (we use "S") we speak Portuguese...and the correct message in my language is

Até a vista.... or...até mais ver....or....até logo..... but usually we use tchau, that came from Italian imigrants we receive 200 years ago.... the root of that is the ciao they use...funny is that the idea was inverted here in my place..... ciao in Italian means hello!....we use tchau as good by.

Also, Brasil and the other charming country, Argentine, are different countries.... there in Argentine they speak spanish, their capital is Buenos Aires, and here in Brasil, the capital is Brasília.

Stranger people use to confuse those things.

regards,

Carlos

..............................................................................................................

Thank you Bogdan.

A simple design...the one i could make...my first design after 46 years constructing things...inspired in good sonics units we had and we still have around.

In the eighties....and even earlier....that kind of bootstrapped schematics were made by almost all famous manufacturers, also professional ones, guitar amplifiers and home systems have used this topologie....invented by Sony or Philips (almost the same time down the seventies) and copied by everyone.

There's nothing extraordinary with Dx amplifier, it is only simple, cheap and have nice sonics...can loose for modern ones..but difference may not pay the increasing of price to construct or buy obtain the more modern ones.

regards,

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.