Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah!..very good ideas Graham.

Juan's supply is 63 Volts, simetrical, and when 10 amperes are going to the load, the output goes down to 54 Volts DC.

The supply output will loose 1.5 volts when drained to 10 amperes (5 percent error).... the difference of voltage over the rail transistors is 18,5 volts...having 10 amps...the power dissipation, maximum and per rail, will be 185

Even two darlington units can be used..but not safe enougth.

The Beta factor will make the 2200uF condenser be multiplied by the darlington gain..this will appear in the output..this way we can reduce the output condenser to reduce cost....the capacitance that will reach the darlington base, of course, as we have 1800 ohms from the electrolitic condenser to the base will be "felt", as reduced.

Also you can use 220uf directly into the base too....and reduce the 2200uf to 220uf if needed...reducing costs.

The supply is adjustable, from less than 20 volts to 63 Volts....and will be stable (under 5 percent) from 20 to 57 volts each rail.

The output must be fused, as shorts in the output may burn the series pass darlington transistors.... 10 amperes each rail fuse.

Yes..you can include 100n capacitors in parallell with the condensers, also include some snubber or whatever you think that will be good.

The heatsink needed, to each rail..in the case you decide to use two heatsinks, the size will be, for instance; 25 by 20 centimeters having 12 fins, each one 5 centimeters high (5 x 25cm).

If you prefer area exposed to the air... 3600 squared centimeters of aluminium exposed, to each rail, may be needed to hold full output power....2 channels of DX amplifier over 4 ohms and driven by continuous signal.. not the real music , will produce a big consumption..so...some hard sittuation ,not usually present in day by day use, will not be a problem using this suggested heatsink size...dimensioned to face abuse.

Juan is from Police...he cannot give us forum identification or personal picture.

BTW...to Mr. Graham Maynard....my dear Klaas, my pioneer constructor, that is almost finishing his cooperation here in this thread, beeing very important and precious to me, told his interest to construct GEM amplifiers, i hope you will give him the nice support you gave me in the past, during your amplifier construction i have made.... he will be busy here ,during the next week...i think he has intention to start something related GEM in 2 monthes maximum... well..not absolutelly sure....he will tell you some....i will give him your personal mail adress.

Take care of this great guy.... i am not jellows...not too much...Grrrrrrr!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• juan heatsink.jpg
    juan heatsink.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 556
Hi Carlos,

Your amp is simple, so folks can learn much from the Dx and be sure to be satisfied.
However, the GEM needs careful construction by experienced hands to keep it from being a disaster. It's not cheap either.

Constructors could probably build 4 Dx for the cost of one GEM, and you know, if I could at the moment, I would build a Dx just for the fun of it. The 'be Happy' amplifier.

Cheers ......... Graham.

They will not compete, they will not figth, we will have a marriage.

Ground plane and Star decided to married to join their passion into electronics and to produce a lot of copper dots in the future.

Many, many small boards will born to proof you that love is ethernal...and that is the best solution to everything.

regards,

Carlos

.......................................................................................................

Graham....lovely words...thank you Graham....those things when said by you, beeing the important designer you are, means a golden medal over me.

thank you,

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• happy dx.jpg
    happy dx.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 540
It's not the acne i'm worried about Nordic, it's the huge amount of hair that seems to grow out of it's ears :D

Yes, the GEM is next on my to-do list,
after i finished building the DX-amplifier.
(is an amplifier ever finished ?)

Building this amplifier has teached me a lot,
thanks to helpfull people in this thread, especially Carlos.
As a human, he is a GEM himself.
He provides excellent help and MORE.

If you want to learn about solid-state,
this amplifier is the way to go.
Highly motivating sound and very good backup
by Carlos and lots of other good people in this thread.

Don't worry, be happy :)

Klaas

Thank you Klaas.... i am feeling very confortable reading your texts..friendly words

My friend Daniel is also starting to design his own..he wanted to construct Dx, but i told him he could do his own....maybe we gonna have a Dx cousin in the future.

I think this is great...any variations, any differences will be extremelly apreciated, also will show more options to forum friends...not exposing other designers circuit secrets, beeing different, i will feel happy.

I am having fun with dear Daniel, calling him "looser" in advance, as i have tested all options, Vas mirrored, ccs and other circuit practices..i know this simple one is nice.

I have tried that supply in the past Hugh, as it is a Ampex Videotape (open reel) broadcasting supply circuit....not mine....many times i have tested with other amplifiers..maybe 6, and i remember once i have used your Aksa 55, two years ago, for those testing purposes.

Result confuses me Hugh.... i am still in doubts about the advantage of those supplies....i have to listen more to conclude.

Of course, technically, no doubts the amplifier will run better powered with a stabilized supply...but i really do not know about sonics.... tests i made were not conclusive to me...maybe i am blocked to accept that advantage because turn the amplifier enormous, having heat from those other heatsinks to reduce the voltage...i use to react against complications...my problem is this.

But some loss of voltage may turn some bass tones decay interesting too...as real life bass sound has big decay...and longer time than recordings using electronic bass or sinthetizers..those things turns me confused Hugh.

Well...that supply can be arranged to the voltage people wants...i will be happy to arrange values and parts to fit constructor needs.

regards,

Carlos

Those discrete ones have not error amplifier Nordic.

This turns the supply unable to correct voltages in an efficient way.

The one using chip may be good...the discrete ones are worst than the Ampex one i have shown.

The Ampex supply was used by professional Broadcasting Equipment....those things are safe, are reliable Nordic...it is another history.

Also were used by decades...i also used 8 supplies with that schematic into audio equipments, and more than 20 were made to Radio Amateus, for SSB transmitter purposes.... having 20 amperes of current and that current jumped from 1 to 20 amperes in a matter of microseconds...and the schematic could face that and correct the voltage not to have losses.

The real good supplies, there are hundreds, are the ones able to read the voltage losses in the output, and fast reduce the series pass transistor resistance to compensate..without that error detection, supply is not good enougth.

regards,

Carlos

Nordic said:
http://www.pedjarogic.com/gc/supplies.htm

Ever seen the supply shown at the bottom of that page....?

I have PCB files for it, but I guess it would need some upgradeing in the transistor area (which I know too little of yet), to cope with the dx

It is a discrete regulator without global feedback

I don't know enough to comment on Carlos's reservations about this as a regulator for the full Dx, but if you leave out the final transistor and just use the BD 139/140 darlington, it could make a nice supply for the front end of the amp. I've used it for some pre-amp and crossover circuits.

Sheldon

Thank you Ostry...nice and better board.

Related Sheldon.

The use you gave was perfect, as those construction, at least the ones that have not and error amplifier, sensing the output voltage....some transistor with the base sensing the output and feeding back the voltage losses into the serial pass regulator, will not hold current...will not be able to control power.

If power is used, the voltage will be reduced..this is my point.

To use to low consumption circuits, pré amplifiers, power amplifier input circuitry or other uses it will be excelent.....not to Dx amplifier....voltage will go down when some bass puch will be "processed" inside the power amplifier.

I have to clarify, as published into this amplifier thread, may create the fake idea that is something to be used together Dx amplifier, and this will result very bad.

That's the point..not that the regulators are not good., they are fine and hardly used for decades..but not not adequated to heavy duty job.

regards,

Carlos

Hey, I laid out a PCB as well for the PSU useing foil caps and stargrounding... It is a little diffirent in the sense that it caters for a little better thermal stability by useing larger rated/more resistors etc... I am still very occopied with the information I learned yesterday about how thermal responces induce distortion, and reconned a bit more mass won't hurt anyone...

Attachments

• dxpsu.gif
    dxpsu.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 606
A very pretty work Nordic...Dx supply by Nordic.....fine!

I was searching for the coil....the one in series....over R7 and R8....well..i think despite not shown it is there....the supply will work nice with the coil in the circuit.

Well....what about your transformers.... i think today is the dead line time to receive.

Have they told you something about your transformers arrival?

Have you started some work related the case?

Will you assemble in a piece of wood and them to install that wood inside a case?

Tell us some about your ideas related the enclosure to the amplifier...what is boiling inside your head?

regards,

Carlos

Hey charlie, the inductors must be wound around the square resistors.... :)

I think the transformers will only be here Wednesday or so, I kept very busy today, as I have to see a dermatologist tomorrow to remove a small wart on my upper arm, and I'm just short of phobic of the medical profession by now... to rephrase that I'm crap scared.... :bigeyes:

I cant realy plan the design much further than the basic concepts I posted before as I don't know how big the transformers will be, scored alot of wood from the old door I took off.... :devilr: I might line the wood case non metal sides with thin case plates, avoiding more metalwork....

I finish my Dentist treatment.... a hell remotion of a nerve.

And some other small things to fix...i am free of doctors..i hope i will be very distant from them for some years long.

Sorry for you....as you will visit a doctor.... problem is that they do not feel pain when doing job into us.... we are mobile meat to be cutted for some butchers.

Your interest to produce the PSU board was very kind.... fully apreciated that.

Good wooden doors can turn nice cases....hummmmm i am watching a gate left in an abandoned piece of land in my neigthborhood now...hummmmm.

Must be wound over the squared resistance?...aahahhaha...i think i have already readed that.

regards,

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.