Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francois and Carlos,
Thank you so much for this! It is very helpful. I think I will order the rest of the caps today. I was waiting for a supplier to check his supply but it has now been 8 days and I think I will have to EBAY again. Its okay though.
Thanks Carlos so much. Its 8ohms I am using. Will be driving some Fostex speakers. I think in Mileva or Dimitri enclosure.
Uriah

The majority of fostexes ae going to be well fried by the time it reaches 70V... :)

All I can say is it is going to be loud!!!!!!!.

Be prepared to adjust your zeners too... you will notice a voltage drop with the amp connected to the PSU... it is good to measure this voltage as the starting point and then calculate the voltage from that point. obviously you need some zeners installed to test this voltage first.. thats why I say adjust....

Ok, uncle I've got it!
uncle, if you look carefully. in right amp have a small heatsink from copper. i bend it.

Maybe, i will make a pair again. for my dad.
he is BASS lover.
I like the bass, but I more precise bass, like on DX HRII.
it just about taste, uncle.

(DX amp = small in size, BIG in Sound).

Hi Uriah the parcels with protection modules are going out last as they invlove more parts etc to be sorted.
(Last ones should be mailed out by Tuesday or so at the current rate).

No, they do not provide overdrive protection, there is a diagram on the japanese datasheet but it seemed like using this feature is sure to impact on sonics... there is a nice clipping detector project on Rod Elliot's site, or you could just use your ears...

They mainly provide a small power on delay to reach stable DC point, while checking output for DC, driving the relay if DC is under triger level...
It also monitors the AC supply side of the rectifier to check for power down to disconnect the speaker...

Okay, So if I am going to hook these up to Fostex (also have been considering Audio Nirvana but specs are similar) then I just need to be sure to not turn them up to high where clipping would occur, but it seems to me that at 97db SPL I should never have to approach the point at which they would clip before I get to a volume I like.
Also, Nordic Once you drop it at the post office how long to get here?

Uriah

ps Carlos I am doing some reading for you :) And for me to of course. I really want to understand better what I am doing. I am reading "Solid State Power Amplifier Supply" Parts 1-3 from www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ssps1_e.html I find it easy to read and I like the way he describes how each piece interacts with the other. Plus it is nice to have this stuff printed out so I can highlight and go back to read again some part to understand better. If that made sense :xeye:
I am keeping an eye out on ebay for some high value caps at a low price. Hopefully this is not unobtanium :)

USA, is about 10 work days...

Luckily you allready have a highly sofisticated anti clipping protection, your ear, brain and hand....

You can clearly hear when speakers start to distort... stay away from that zone... I have no doubt that the HRII can blow even my speakers rated at 140W peak if I throw the right material at it for long enough...It realy puts perspective on how strong a 50W class amp can sound.

What is unobtanium in in SA and Brazil, could be garden varieties in the states... life is very relative...

I'm glad you enjoyed that article... I keep on commig back to it occasionaly for a refresher...

PS made some progress on my guitar amp today, sourced all the valves, the sockets, and a nice 100VA 200V transformer with 12V taps for the filaments all for under $40... add to that the low cost of half a DX and a driver of $35 to $120 and I should have a killer rig.

Attachments

• guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 330

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Nordic said:
PS made some progress on my guitar amp today, sourced all the valves, the sockets, and a nice 100VA 200V transformer with 12V taps for the filaments all for under $40... add to that the low cost of half a DX and a driver of $35 to $120 and I should have a killer rig.

You should start a new thread for this (if you haven't already). I want to hear a MP3 of it in action when you're done. Particularly the tube overdrive section.

..Todd

Greg's DXamp web page?

Hello Carlos

Few days ago I started to build my first ever amp and I choose DXamp classic (probably because of propaganda:) )after reading almost 200pages.
Greg's web page was very helpfull because it was everything at one place. I just finished PSU and started with amp but it seems that there is some problem with page.
Do you have any infos about that?

Thank you spectator, good to know that "Propaganda" still works.

When advertising, or propaganda in my language (maybe your language too) talks real things turns more strong.... reason why we have almost hundred folks that have built.

In Brazil it is going very well, alike flu viruses contaminating all the country, there are several guys building and a lot already made... all them happy.... this is very good to my personal feelings...i feel good to contribute, to help and to be someone that started the whole thing to make them happy for long precious minutes while listening good music reproduction.

Greg Web page helps a lot, and i also found it "out from the air"... maybe some service, some maintenance or problems with the TPG Australian provider..... Greg told me nothing, so, he may not know this is happening and i will inform him.

The informations are all into the long thread... and i have those files saved into my HD too... if you need something, as emergency, tell me and i will post it once again to you...naturally the quality will be under the forum image limits (100K).

Welcome to the crew man, and needing something that i can be helpfull, please, write an E mail to my personal adress and i will help you gladly.

panzertoo@yahoo.com

Carlos.

OK, thanks Carlos on your support

Well, it's up again.

Probably some maintenance by Greg's provider, so it was just false alarm:D
I also have a lot of stuff saved on my hard drive, not only for dx amp, but this page is compact and very helpful.
And I will probably ask you some questions if i stuck but only after a lot of reading (once more whole dx amp thread:nod: ) before i ask you.
Greetings

It is big Spectator, the thread is big, but you could see that there are a lot of

social conversations too.... also, huge colection of interesting informations about this amplifiers and audio amplifiers stuff.

Maybe a little bit boring to read all stuff, but some dinamic reading, beeing fast and jumping over non interesting subjects based on your subjective and personal needs, will be helpfull, i am sure it will be.

You said have readed once, the whole Dx thread...thank you very much by your preference, confidence and patience... and you sai that maybe will take another look.... very good... thank you again, this time in advance, by your preference and kindness.

I hope you will appreciate something there, there are funny things and very happy moments too.

I have readed the Solid State forum completelly, was last year and 2 years before i did it too..... this was a little bit boring, because many subjects are not from my interest, but i have learned a lot...i think i am 70% of forum knowledge...have learned here, and 30 percent of life experience burning my fingers, studying by myself and working with electronics.....but forum gave me huge know how...it is an Enciclopedia of audio.

The good guys dominates the forum, bad folks enters and soon they do not feel confortable and the more often that happens is that they use to return to the hell.

A very nice place we have here....i do love this forum.

There are many folks MUCH BETTER into audio electronics than i am.... a comparison will be 80 points to them and 65 to me.... but many have not time, others have not will to help people, others are selfish and too much competitive, some of them wants knowledge only to themselves, and others do not know how to teach things or have not patience to do that...... the better moments we have is when proud people decide to figth one against the other..then the one wants to show know how, starts to explain interesting things to reinforce their own arguments... in this moments, when they exercise vain, they forget to keep their secrets, and during their emotional moments we can learn a lot.

Attention with every word written by the "King of audio"... Doctor Hugh Dean.... he teach us a lot, he is a monster into practical audio knowledge, also he is excelent to design special sounding amplifiers...one of the best we have, and you will have a lot of advantages following his posts.... because he has the will, the need to help, to cooperate, he is not a lyer, he tell truth.

Carlos

Another DX amp up and running:D

Just to inform you Carlos that i finished dx amp, built only one channel, and second will wait for some cash to come:D

Output units are bd243c/bd244c, drivers bd139c/bd140, and everything else is just like in BOM on Greg's site.
Well transformer is a bit small, it's 30W:D with secondaries of 2*23VAC, scraped from old satellite receiver, but despite that amp plays pretty loud and it is rock solid . Don' t worry I am gonna buy a bigger one:) .

Only one thing made me some problems and that is Vbias. I couldn't set it to 800-1000mV no matter what. Turning trimmer in any direction didn't result with lowering or raising voltage. It was around 160mV all the time. But with Dc offset there wasn't such problems and I easily set it around 3mV. Don't know, could it maybe be because of this small transformer or what?
But never mind it works very well, and it is maybe better not to touch anything:D (don't fix it if ain't broken;) :smash: )

It works perfectly using 23 plus 23 volts, and the bias adjustment also runs

very well...increasing and decreasing the bias.

Something my be wrong into the VBE multiplier....maybe base inverted related the emitter....heheheheh... this happens

Well, i hope you are happy with it.... sounds nice.

Thank you to inform one more to the Dx Crew.... a happy welcome to you, and if possible, try to post some picture...needing help with images send them to:

panzertoo@yahoo.com

And i will be happy to make them fit into our forum specifications.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• parts.gif
    parts.gif
    88.3 KB · Views: 433
halo uncle.

if i will use pot for a volume control,can i use 100K?
because i can find very good pot for 100K only.
(sorry, because i live in jungle) so i can't find something i want easier like in your town uncle.hahhahahh

try this very cheap DIYamps and sound very GOOOOD!.
i build a pair of vanilla amp just cost <$20 bucks include heatsink. hahahahha:D
not including power supply.

La Ode

Status
Not open for further replies.