Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
tinitus said:
Yes thanks, I see them - but it was the MJL21193/94 I didnt find, but I have 8 matched pairs so no concern of mine, just wonder if something have changed at ELFA

Yes, thought maybe was MJL21193/94.
I wish elfa could have them.
Maybe we should 'make an attack' in their FORUM
... asking for more and better Audio Power transistors.
Why not MJL3281A/1302A, too

I am in sorrow such useful as MJL21193 MJL21194 can not be found in my country ( SE )

===================================00

My guess is:
- if somebody started a webshop
with Transistors for AUDIO
and provided them to a fair price
It would be a good success!

The backbone could be:
BC550/560
BD139/140
MJE15030/31
2SK170
IRF610/9610
+ most used
Power BJT
Power MOSFET

then add to this some op-amps:
LM3975
LM3886
OPA2134
NE5534
AD797
AD825
OPA627
etc.

and some regulators:
LM317T
LM337T

No need to provide everything, in such a webshop.
Just semiconductors and IC that are most used at www.diyaudio.com

What costs money, is to have a large STORE, in STOCK.
So we keep it small, by only provide and sell most used items.

Regards
lineup

Mail received Tinitus

You have a very famous friend Tinitus.

He makes nice amplifiers, and as you told...sound good.

I never had constructed his Myrand A amplifiers, as i think they are a little bit complicated to my taste..too much parts...i prefer simple ones.

congratulations.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• famous friend.jpg
    famous friend.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,761
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Yes Carlos, I agrree - and you would think, like others, too much, overdone, cant sound very good - but it really does sound very good

Actually Sonny changed boards with Hugh(Aksa), but we never heard more of this

But it is VERY complicated with lots of sms and fragile 4-layer board - I would think he never sold much and all delivered as assembled boards, in hand
At some time he tried to get them machine assembled, but maybe a bit expencive with big orders
I have talked with him some time ago, and he said he would tell when ready again - and nothing has happened since
Talk of being an enemy of your own skills, or whatever

My hope was maybe that you could find some small but important hidden secrets, but I guess its not that simple either :D

Carlos, may I ask... is those small paralel 100n caps really absolutely important - you see, like you I like it simple, which means only one single component in each place - and preferably no coil nor RC on output.... I know Sonny has done this limiting elsewhere somehow - but I know we live in real world

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Lineup, nice but from what I have read just now there is a major problem with fakes MJL21193/94 - maybe thats the problem OnSemi has to deal with....also Sonny mentioned something about MarkLevinson with those transistors

I have seen a Hafler mod firm recommend stronger an rugged transistors to be able to take the beating;)

BTW, Lineup ..I have 8 pairs new originals with pro outputboards with sms emitter and screw terminals I would sell you, but how to contact ... well you might get my email from dear Carlos in private

Well folks...i have discovered a hidden researcher...a scientist, humble and silent

Creating new ways to construct speaker and constructing amplifiers with pretty wood finishment...acabamento...details.....pretty amplifiers.

Tinitus is the man.... will turn this thread more rich that it was before his appearance.

Take a look in his image...no..no...no...not the image quality...not the pixels and megapixels and focus...watch the ligth, the dark in corntrast with ligth..see the image ballance...imagine as a ship..this one will not sink..weigth is ballanced both sides...image composition...an artist between us

Wilkommen Tinitus.

BTW, his name is Lars.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• image ballance.jpg
    image ballance.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,802
Honorable Doktor Graham Maynard simulated this amplifier...ahahahah.

Was APROVED!...by Graham Maynard...yessssss!...i am happy with that, because my respect related this man.

He told that i could remove the output inductor, that i can listen a better effect around 12 Kilohertz....listening to FM interstation hiss.

Also i have checked and i perceive that listening...nothing happenes when i have removed my rails 104 capacitors...hehe.

Better not to construct my amplifier...it is loosing fat... i am removing so many parts that maybe will finish with the input plug...and concluding that my headphone output sound the same...following the philosophie to remove excesses...than whole amplifier can be removed..ahahahahah!

I did not made Graham suggestion testings...but for sure it will work...i will remove if i perceive increasing in quality...or even in level, in this case in the upper audible spectrum.

He told me:

- "you will kick to outside earth that small transistor sound you have, just removing that coil you have in the output"

"small transistor sound" means that already remains that transistorized sound...the problem following Graham or Hugh Dean is that the amplifier will finish the same as they have designed..with their own faces printed on the board...aahhahaha..this will not be so good to mine proper own design!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• grah on it.jpg
    grah on it.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,583
Graham told that simulating graphics were pretty clean, showing very good qualities.

Well..i have made those simulations by myself...and they appeared almost perfect...very low distortion, very flat amplifier.

I could not believe that...and i have asked Graham to check.

It is not a very good sounding amplifier..it can make Instrumentor Watcher Audiophiles happy too.

hehe...this is nice..that's why many boering bricks did not appeared here till today...ahahahaha.

I had not that visit:

- "why are you telling that your amplifier sounds good when it was distorting 0.5213456789 when reproducing 80 Kilohertz?"

- " I could see some ringing in the twenty sixth harmonic!"

- "your standards of quality are too low..your amplifier has not holes to screws."

Bat defenders!...not to disturb bat and other small animals...rats and others that can listen 80 Kilohertz!...hehe

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• mine checked grah.jpg
    mine checked grah.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,616
I do not want, anymore, people constructing my beloved amplifier..it is only mine!

Publicity, Advertising., Propaganda

Dx amplifier is pretty
Sounds very good
It is cheap
Easy to construct
Produce nice intermodulation distortion
Also can turn you happy watching harmonics in instruments
Dx amplifier is sexy…it is long, not squared board..loooog.
Also it has two bottoms, those upper big transistors that has
A beautifull screw pointed to sky..hummm nice!
When clipping, Dx amplifier will show you perfect square waves
You may be happy searching for noises if your scope is good enougth
Your distortion meter will show you some..finally something to use it!
It costs almost nothing, has no copyright, also you can tweak a little
And put your name over it.
It will smash some other amplifiers…but you may not be too much sad,
As you did it by yourself..it belongs to you the same the smashed one.
It is able to play all kind of musics, and the speaker will move a lot,
producing a nice show to your friends.
Dx amplifier is alike a gun to produce a good revenge to a noisy neighbor
You can also visit that proud friend that told his speaker is huge,
not so huge as he was thinking.

Also you can exercise your freedom…Destroyer x do not want you to
construct his amplifier…he turns selfish and you cannot do…. So, as you
are free, .you can do it despite what Dx wants or not.

As you will not accept orders…maybe you will do something that will
surprise you..…200 percent satisfaction guaranteed.

This amplifier you have now…have you ordered special parts from distant
places?

Have those expensive parts?

Hummm…. Better not to make simple Dx amplifier, ..also do not try to listen.

But I was thinking…if you have so good amplifier as Dx have, you will
Listen claps as claps…rain as rain… will not confuse those things anymore,
will turn completely satisfied and will finish your search for good amplifiers.
as I did…no more search!

And this will be bad to our community…please, do not construct it!

Regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• do you believe.jpg
    do you believe.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,350
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Carlos,

I have Sanken 2SC2922-2SA1216 and BD139-140

They are from broken amps - can I test them with a multimeter ???

I have always build kits, so to hopefully learn a little more my plan is to hardwire on a plate
To me it would give more sense to follow schematic, rather than wire accordingly to printlayout

I guess I am be able to find some factory information to tell me how to place base-collector-emitter

I may look like a fool, but if you could show correct schematic marked with letters fore transistor leg configuration

Another easier way is to understand transistor as having two diodes

connected this way inside.... if diodes are good...the measurement is very obvious.

Transistors can be opened related conduction, can be shorted, having short circuit between leads...also can show a reduced resistance..called leakage.

As in one condition the measurement will show low resistance..in the digital one will show three digits...500 or much more...and inverting you will measure infinite resistance.. measurement of resistance not possible....incredible high....tenths of Megaohms.

Of course, damaged transistor will show some resistance....but the more common is dead short between leads.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• other way.gif
    other way.gif
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,488
Hi Carlos,

You know I have followed this thread, and I have e-mailed that your's is likely to be a good sounding amplifier, especially if the choke is removed, my reason for saying this being that output stage damping of loudspeaker system back-EMF is then quite phase linear at all frequencies.

Also there is not so much gain in this circuit that problems can arise relating to a need for stabilisation components which might then reduce the open loop bandwidth - which can alter reproduction when the loop is closed and louspeakers generate back-EMF.

The use of resistors around the differential stage keep the open loop response reasonably flat and well controlled, whereas with other CCS and mirror circuits etc, where gain is optimised to maximise NFB and thus minimise THD, necessary stabilising components often compromise the open loop gain bandwith with the result that reproduction suffers.

You ears have heard the proof, and yet others might still crave low thd figures, but to what end ?

I thank you for the amusement within this thread, for it has has been a fun read.

Re: You FTP is a very unstable thing...it is blocked once more

lineup said:

In every deck of card there is a ....
In every place is good to have a ....

lineup
destroyer X said:

This image is a clown in my culture...
hummm..very offensive, but as you do not know....
i will forget and will point my cannons to other place.

regards,

Carlos
Greg Erskine said:

It's not a clown but a joker or jester,
not quite the same as a clown.

Jester's have that funny hat, but in a deck of cards he is called a joker.

Jesters were very important characters in royal courts of days gone by.

offensive ....hummmm
... not in my world
In fact it would for me be a great compliment
if somebody would call me 'The Joker of www.diyaudio.com '

The Anglosaxian and western culture is a little, but only litttle,
bit different than the latin american culture.
True!

GregErskine got me right!
And good, Carlos, you did point 'your cannon to other'.
No need to be suspicious with your friends .. it is quite enough to spend that extra energy at Enemies.

Finally.
John Lennon has written An All Time Classics:
'Come Together'
... if somebody have not listened to that Rock song,
Pleeeeeease Do!!!!!!!!! :cool:

:) :)
Here come
old flattop he come
grooving up slowly He got
joo-joo eyeball he one
holy roller He got
hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker
he just do what he please

Come Together .... Come Together ... Right now ... Over Me

:) :)

Graham, Nando and Lineup....i am following the thread and reading you all

And my agreement with all you said is guaranteed.

Thanks by the cooperation.

For sure, all Doctor Graham sugestions, if not already checked, or tested trying to perceive differences, will be done as soon as possible.

Graham words, in my understanding, are alike text book, something to trust and something you can "see"...."listen" in real life...not empty words....the guy is filled with real knowledge.

I am a little busy at the moment, and will be for a couple of days more.... but "I'll be back"

regards,

Carlos

Hi Tinitus,

I'm sure Carlos won't mind me chipping in here.
I have used this base+collector method of testing bipolar transistors for decades, and it is possible to get a close match of small signal transistors for low voltage applications by doing so.

See attachment.

Hi Nando,

Those who go on to use top flight (expensive) tweeters prefer to minimise all inductance between an amplifier's output node and their driven element. Often they seek to build a chokeless output stage behind the tweeter thus having minimum length loudspeaker interconnects.
Whilst an output choke can protect against load induced amplifier oscillation, not all amplifiers need one - it depends upon NFB loop enclosed signal path gain and phase shift.

Attachments

• bipolartest.gif
    bipolartest.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,445
I had visit the dictionaire...was hard to understand that "chipping" term

You are welcome to chipping me here Graham.

What a difficult thing to understand...English language is very different from mine...as i have, at least one word for each meaning...normally many words to the same meaning, many different expressions, ways to express....and in English the opposite...one word and many meanings....this may create confusion...as sometimes those double meanings may create problems.

No problems to have a piece of this cake (marketing on me, on the thread i have read...was the meaning in dictionaire...or to have a piece, a part of something)...sit and have a coffee also..you are an old and very good friend.

You can chip whatever you want related the threads i use to make, or post.

In the reality...you are honoring me with your presence.

But you have difficult expressions...you have readed too much books, your language is not common...i use to search for dictionaires when reading you...and i can do it without dictionaire reading other folks.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• imagem.jpg
    imagem.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Status
Not open for further replies.