Destroyer x Amplifier...Dx amp...my amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those "perfect amplifiers"...are terrible...very stérile...sound is inside a jail!

The sound wants to go out and cannot...blocked...impeached!

Those current limiters are a hell!

CCS is a scandall..... exception was GEM (i cannot believe till today)

This one have a lot of features Graham.

Well..... i am already watching you laughing on me...telling:

- I told you...do not loose time with those things.

regards,

Carlos

I laugh at your words Carlos, but not at the time you spent making that last amplifier.

You made genuine effort to give that circuit a chance, and yet again you were disappointed.

Using a CCS, a mirror or extra stages to idealise gain does reduce THD, but it won't sound as good if an internal phase shift develops which degrades both crossover distortion suppression and loudspeaker damping control at AF frequencies.

I turned the pcb round to read the circuit from your construction, and I could see the theoretical optimisation of linearity, but the circuit was too 'feeble and floaty' to maintain a grip of audio definition.
Also, as you say - current limits are awful. I think it better to have good sound with fuse protection, than indestructable ultra reliability but prematurely clipping garble.

Cheers ........ Graham

Re: The one i was trying was a Nakamichi schematic from 1980.

destroyer X said:

A very expensive equipment...and famous too.

Sounded not good enought to be compared with my beloved Dx amplifier..... i do not want to talk too much...but Dx had smashed it.

The amplifier sounded fine...very normal..very standard...very mufled...very bad in dinamics....very high power...very bad voices..very strange amplifier.

It has an automatic off set control and another circuit to control over current...those things killed the sonics.

I will not more try famous equipments.

I will construct only units people say sounded better than Dx amplifiier or sounded better than Symassym , or sounded better than Aksa or sounded better than GEM.

It is very deceptive.

Of course i have checked...all Vbe correct.....everything working fine...voltages correct...no transistor hot...off set very small (controled by the ballancing circuit included into the schematic)....and despite all features..... bah!

Here is the image.... the one is going to the grave yard to be buried (will be transfomed in parts...dismounted)

regards,

Carlos

Hello Carlos

I was sure that the Dx amp would eat that poor Nakamichi, now it need a nice burial ceremony with music from a Dx amp... :)

Sniff sniff, poooorrrr Nakamichi, they should still made cassette and cd players only, like that Nakamichi model 7 cassette player.

Gaetan

Destroyer X Amplifier

Perhaps this is why you don't see much of the Nakamichi name anymore ?
Carlos, I didn't notice any manufacturer's markings on the BC556B transistors. Did I miss seeing the markings ? I see that you have similar smog problems to Sydney. Luckily, Greg and myself are further north and above most of it.
You have a very attractive second pair of ears. You are obviously very proud of her.

Kind Regards
SandyK

Yes dear friends... i am proud of my dear daugther

She is very good friend i have...always with me.... behaves like a dog watching me and sniffing me all time long...delicious young girl.... yes...sniffing..she likes my natural smell.... My daugther was in the video i sent to many friends, having Nakamichi detailed pictures and my daughter too...reason why my comments here.

Gaetan has received and also Hugh Dean and Sandy...i have sent to many other folks but i do not know if they have received.

I found a capacitor into the audio patch.... a wrong one!..... i made the error there.

Because of that i will have to construct the unit once more...i was dismounting when i perceived my error.

Being in the signal patch, exactly into the pair produces the voltage amplification...well.... this error can kill every amplifier.....

I will give another chance to our friend Nakamichi tomorrow morning.

I will construct it entirely once more...to test it once more.

Sorry folks....in the place the capacitor is installed...hehe.... i could have killed all treble and quality, as also controls impedance and phase there.

I was surprised also...Nakamichi was a very good brand...and played very bad.... because that capacitor maybe.

We will see that soon.

regards,

Carlos

Hi,
Nakamichi never learned how to design and make amplifiers.
They were one of the best at making cassette recorders.
My Nak never had a PCB looking as bad as that example shown by Carlos. All the PCBs are perfect looking.

Carlos,
are you sure of the origin of that PCB?
It is difficult to believe any reputable manufacturer would build like that and certainly not Nakamichi, on the little evidence I have seen.

Mr Andrew T is in my ignore list...the only one at the moment

I am not sorry, his comments are not good ...do not brings pleasure to me.

The guy seems to be more a computer than a man.... more clever than a computer.

I am not reading his mails Sparkle, so, not needed to answer in my place, unless you want it ...of course.

I am saying....if trying to help me....i do not mind what he wrotes, it seems a text book talking...criticise too much and construct nothing...i prefer humans that expose themselves in the place to be hide behind a text book

Also Mr AndrewT do not construct things..so..he is not a DIY...he is a speaking book... i do not know if he will succeed reading those codified numbers and letters we find when we subscribe to new providers, sites or web groups.

Sorry folks.... i am human, not perfect...i do not like this guy.

Forum has thousands of guys.... i like them all, this one is exception.

regards,

Carlos

Re: In this thread, some people has head, face and family

destroyer X said:

Usernamex has a nice family..... pretty people from Rumania.

Here is the family being present to forum folks.

People in the thread has faces too.... also has names....his name is Adrian.

regards,

Carlos

I don't mind being confused with UsernameX. But I mind having my family presented as his :whazzat:

So, I'm Adrian, username charlie_fd, and the little one in the picture (Daria) is mine for sure! :cool:

Returning to DX amp: 10 pcbs are ready and will be delivered on monday for the assembly. After hearing what it can do, friend of mine and friends of our coleague UsernameX made us promise we will also build DX for them.

Will keep you all informed.

Regards,
Adrian

Boys, i have re-constructed the Nakamichi 620

Dx amplifier is better in treble, voices are the same and lost in bass.

Nakamichi bass is very nice..controled, do not distort...the over current protection was adjusted to before the clipping level is reached...so...no distortion into the bass....if you increase volume sound turns compressed.... treble increases and bass remains the same.

You have this effect in the Marantz 2270 also.... but Marantz melt your speaker if you insist for more than 4 seconds.

The treble came alive.... clear after the remotion of the "bad capacitor" i have installed...wrong capacitor...10 times bigger...my mistake.

I like the amplifier, and i think it is a very good idea to bass reproduction...related other frequencies i think that exist better options, as Dx and many others.

The input signal was controled in level, also the gain was adjusted...so...no overdriven happened....worked smoth with a nice smothsonics.

The Auto off set control worked fine...off set was keep low with amplifier cold and hot.

Drivers operate hot in this amplifier, need to be mounted into the heatsink.

Here is one image.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• assemble once more.jpg
    assemble once more.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 401
Was measured and listened for 1 hours continuously.

I like it.... but there are a lot of parts to produce the same work others do with less components.

I would elect it for bass...but there's a resistance to be adjusted to your personal sittuation (speaker power and supply voltage)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• was listened.jpg
    was listened.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 362
I perceive the Dx amplifier qualities listening this one

Treble was not really clear... was behind some cloth.... not really free.

The overall audio reproduction seems compressed... not so bad as FM radio ...but we can perceive that differences in volume were reduced.

Had not powerfull reproduction into 10 hertz....in this frequency the Dx amplifier produces clean 85 watts rms.

Voices were fair...natural..good voices.

The bass was perfect.... nothing to criticize...one of the best basses i have listened....remember Marantz bass (some models...old ones!)

Enjoy Dx amplifier...and producing multi channels, this one can be a nice bass amplifier....more than 200 watts is easy with this unit.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• was measured.jpg
    was measured.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 347
Those square condensers turns the board more interesting to see

I believe you know what you are doing related the transistor lead position, as you already have constructed and adjusted the first Dx without problems...so.... was proved that you know how to do.

But.....it is never late to observe this transistor leads, maybe inverted related BD139 or another model is being used.

BD139, normally looks this way.... watching this image, from left to rigth you have Base, Colector and emitter.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• look this way.jpg
    look this way.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 261
Dx smashed the home made Nakamichi 620

Maybe the factory model can produce some magic...but i have my doubts about.

Dx sounded better...during comparison this was clear.

There are some small advantage to Nakamichi related the bass.... i think because of the overcurrent protection, because i cut it out and sounded even worst than DX.

Final chapter.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• yesterday.jpg
    yesterday.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 207
Dx unit was waiting with patient and confidence that his place was guaranteed

at my side...near my bed.... producing good music and nice dreams listening it's clear sound.

I think more than 80 percent of the amplifier you try to compare, will loose for DX.... i could know only 5 units...and 2 of those belongs to the same factory.

I am proud...not more humble...it will not loose easy...will be alike horses neck with neck...head by head...difference will be milimeters.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx waiting.jpg
    dx waiting.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 201
See the mountain or parts that result from Naka disassemble

Too much parts for a good sound only....not very good, not excelent.

Too expensive to produce at home.

Transistors have to be hardly matched.

Listen Dx amplifier...it will make you happy.

Now, you can find, assembled by a Dx constructor, around the world!

I will repeat my belief once again.... 46 years trying amplifiers....more than 4000 units constructed and listened.

" Normally, complicated circuits, with a lot of sub circuits, mirrors, current sinks, CCS, different VAS arrangements, fully symetrical units, double differential in the input, triple darlington in the output, chip in the differential place...well....modern ones...they normally will loose for simple designs alike Dx amplifier, Aksa amplifier and the Standard GEM, class AB, 50 watts"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx amplifier deserves some respect.jpg
    dx amplifier deserves some respect.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.