Not open for further replies.
Heatsink for driver...

!? It should be good enough for both...

Attachments

• cimg1081.jpg
    cimg1081.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 330
No problems...keep the big ones!

Will work cool this way...... less bias drift..... will help you to work stable.

Keep them in place.

regards,

Carlos

.........................................................................................................

Nordic

He is using the big one because have not tools to cut the metal.

Bigger is better than smaller..... your size is perfect Nordic.....but having bigger will not produce problems.

You output transistor, for example, are working warm...they will last for ever..... your grandson will be listening Dx amplifier.... as working cold, only electrolitic condensers will need replacement in 50 years more.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Yes dear Microp...you will bother people living near you.

destroyer X said:

For safety reasons...please, do this test:

Produce a short circuit into the input... alive shorted to ground... so..no signal at the input....now install your speaker or keep it installed if already made.... hold your multimeter and turn it to read AC volts.... 20 volts is fine position...now measure the output... any AC voltage can be present there... having voltage you will be having oscilations that are heating your unit...check it.

Carlos

On output multimeter shows nothing... zero

A very good idea to check bias and offset once more.

Zero is correct.... no oscilations.... perfect.

And after you finish...let the amplifier running into some resistive load.....do not need to be full power as you will have problems with the resistance heat....but force it to warm a little.

You can use a hair drier to heat it up too.

Then check you bias once more..... do not re-adjust.... as when turn cold it will return to the stand by point once more.

Will be a good experience to see the thermal drift.

Are you using VBE multiplier?

regards,

Carlos

Reduce your bias to 600 milivolts over 10 ohms resistance

This way you will have it cool.

The temperature will be hard to feel touching.

Those drivers current are limited by the 180 ohms resistance that is installed "floating" between drivers emitters.

You can increase a little if you need.... till 270 ohms will work fine.

Increasing you will perceive more treble.... decreasing the effect will go to bass.

You will have around 4 to 4.5 watts of heat during stand by mode...without signal.... this heat will be perceived when the heatsink is too much small.

Tweaking this resistance you will need to readjust your amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Be carefull Microp.... when we tweak amplifier we use to produce accidental

shorts.

Not to loose parts.... avoiding sadness and frustrations.... install fuses into your rails.... 5 amperes if you will use 4 ohms...and 2.5 to 3 amperes if you will use 8 ohms only.

Also install an output fuse.... 3 amperes will be fine using 8 ohms.

Solder a thin wire in parallel with the fuse... another small fuse over the glass fuse...this is to guarantee very low resistance..as some fuses create problems because of internal resistances.

No problems to the fuse work.... the very small wire soldered outside will melt too if you have overcharges.

regards,

Carlos

Cheap multimeters...

In home page... step... 16... Re-adjust your DC offset to a voltage lower than 3 millivolts.

The voltage there must be stable, not fluctuating.

As I am using cheap multimeters my output voltage is fluctating from 0,2 to 1mV.... is it right... the problem is in multimeter?

regards,

microp

Enjoy and send me pictures.

Directly to my mail box:

panzertoo@yahoo.com

Electronics, home, appliances, ventilators, floor, ceiling, wall paper, people around, people in the street, building, sky, street, automobile, television screen with a local program..radio sets, computer, family, daugther, wife, landscapes, dust, ant, mosquito, microbios, viruses...everything is interesting to me.

Remember...i am in South America...we do not use too much wood inside home..we do not use wood in the floor (ceramics we use...weather is hot here) we do not use wall paper, we have exterminated ants, not too much birds we have... the ones hawks have not eated..well..everything different here.

You are in the Old Soviet Block...your things..the old radio...all those things interesting to the Dx Corporation Chairman culture (me!..ahahaha)

Also, inform you family name.... you are one of those rare folks that are not shy... also Usernamex posted his head (not the face) you have a face..others do not have faces.... only me and you.

regards,

Carlos

Hi microp,

When you watch the output voltage of an AF amplifer with a sensitive voltmeter, you will observe LF flutter noise about its nominal set potential.
Digital and analogue meters would probably give different readings of this, and so it would take a scope with long timebase period to capture it accurately.

This is inaudible and quite normal.

Cheers ........ Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.