desktop speaker with Markaudio Alpair5

I found the attached image on another forum. Stuff the bottom 3/4?

Attachments

• 86D381C7-6B3B-48A3-A996-061D582BE4C2.jpeg
    86D381C7-6B3B-48A3-A996-061D582BE4C2.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 335
I found the attached image on another forum. Stuff the bottom 3/4?

yes, but as Planet10 says, it should not be dense.
that photo is from me, you cannot see it on the photo, but especially the stuffing in the open/narrow end near the port is only a minimal amount (like 2 or 3 gram), properly teased. This is where you want to tune to your set-up by ear, a little too much here will delete most of the bass.

The stuffing in the closed/wide end can be somewhat denser, but don't stuff it. in total I used approx 45 gram there.

The dark stuff behind the driver is felt, 8mm thick I used.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I too like to add felt (12mm recycled cotton felt) near teh driver to reduce reflections back thru the cone.

dave

Aside: we did build this Henkjen’s box, i gave it ot a very helpful co-worker and he loves them. If you get the bass right the new A5 should be even better, top does not have the Jordan like HF issues (which all the 1st gen MA had, but to a lesser extent)

Yes indeed Henkjan. Thanks for the advice. I’ve found some recycled textile underlay felt that’s claimed 2/3 natural ~30%wool, 30%cotton, balance synthetic, that appears ok. The same upholstery supplier has loose polyester stuffing that appears similar to acoustistuff also.

Wow. What a great intro to the world of full range drivers. These things sound great. I’m converted! Sorry don’t know why the pics load sideways..

Attachments

• D77A9FAF-14FF-46EA-9203-0931F331BD44.jpeg
    D77A9FAF-14FF-46EA-9203-0931F331BD44.jpeg
    192 KB · Views: 276
  • 874BA76E-FD28-4C6E-B2E4-C79C5F60E752.jpeg
    874BA76E-FD28-4C6E-B2E4-C79C5F60E752.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Hello!
Sorry for unearthing old threads but I am very interested in building these speakers. I already built 2 pairs of Zaph Hi-Vi B3S for my daughters and loved the process and result. I would like to build PC Speakers for my tiny desk and your design seems very interesting.
I have one question though. Do you think it is possible to reduce the size without affecting sound too much? They are a bit deep and high for my tiny desk :)
I don't mind loosing a bit of bass.
Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge!

Hello!
Sorry for unearthing old threads but I am very interested in building these speakers. I already built 2 pairs of Zaph Hi-Vi B3S for my daughters and loved the process and result. I would like to build PC Speakers for my tiny desk and your design seems very interesting.
I have one question though. Do you think it is possible to reduce the size without affecting sound too much? They are a bit deep and high for my tiny desk :)
I don't mind loosing a bit of bass.
Thanks for your time and for sharing your knowledge!

With this kind of speakers you can't do that, the size is crucial in the response. If you want something smaller, you need to rework them from start.

@waxx
Thanks for the answer. I was expecting and answer like that but hey, you never know! I still really like the look of this speaker and from what I have read it seems to sound really good as well.

@nandappe
Interesting alternative! Did you design it yourself? In such a speaker, is it possible to "push" the woofer in a little bit to have a flush mount? Also, in general, is it possible to do a small roundover on the edges without modifying the sound too much?
Thanks for the youtube link too!