• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Design of transformers for valve amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole premise seems odd, so let's step back a bit and see what you and/or Juan are saying - are you basically suggesting that the transformers designed with "old" knowledge do not work well? And the new equations can help to address their shortcomings? But isn't it common knowledge that well designed old transformers are the ones most sought after? And many diy'ers lament that the OPTs "are not made like they used to...", no? :cheeky:

I do not claim to have discovered gunpowder, but, if you read, there are only a few equations, which still I have not seen anywhere else, which does not mean that them not exist from a long ago.

Isn't the presentation here a re-hash of other threads by Juan? If not, then perhaps I jump the gun a bit, your points are certainly valid rwt to new core material, special needs for SMPS designs, etc. But we are after all talking about designing/winding audio fequency transformers using well known materials, or are the cores/wires no longer available like the old days? Curious that's all... :)

Of course is a rehash, a big one. ;)

If you have any criticism is welcome, if you find any error I will thank you, if you have some new equations to add, much better. :)

But if you're going to criticize my style, or my previous threads or my Tarzan-English, I'm lost. :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
No critism intended, just wondering what's really new - clearly I have not read all the posts, too lazy... My question is why can't we just use the existing equations/methodologies or just with Yves' program to design and wind the OPTs, i.e., why re-invent the wheel? Or am I missing out on something otherwise?

. . .My question is why can't we just use the existing equations/methodologies or just with Yves' program to design and wind the OPTs, i.e., why re-invent the wheel? Or am I missing out on something otherwise?
I want to add that my program DOES NOT GARANTEE any thing, it just applies equations (wich may be a bit different than popilin's one) and shows you some results.
YOU must analyze this results and apply adjustments (core size, induction, gap size, copper wire section, interleaving, inter layer and inter winding thickness and material, etc...) until YOU meet YOUR specifications.

Must I add that this almost always finishes with some "compromises" ?

Yves.

I want to add that my program DOES NOT GARANTEE any thing, it just applies equations (wich may be a bit different than popilin's one) and shows you some results.
YOU must analyze this results and apply adjustments (core size, induction, gap size, copper wire section, interleaving, inter layer and inter winding thickness and material, etc...) until YOU meet YOUR specifications.

Must I add that this almost always finishes with some "compromises" ?

Yves.

WHAT program? Do you have some kind of transformer design software?

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• OPT_da test.jpg
    OPT_da test.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Design a transformer with such a tool is interesant, but keep in mind that all audio transformers are only and simply, transformers. A bunch of formulae governs the the transformer design.

The real critical point is the physical implementation. An excellent design (Made by software or paper and pencil) becomes a disaster if bad wiring techniques used and or bad wire and isolation characteristics and or bad core selection.

The last point is where I have no doubt, Juan is pointing in this thread. Be patient.

Unfortunately, all here (in my country, Argentina) is difficult. I'm currently waiting for 8 compactron tubes purchased in january 6 from Ebay, and payed with paypal. Also waiting for the Teman book, 1 month ago. Currently I had no expectation they came to me, in an usable form (Not a glass puree) Do you imagine the time needed to write a book wasted in an bureau office? Nahhh.

Osvaldo,
I'm travelling to Buenos Aires in October. Let me know what valves you need and I can bring them with me
Cheers
Ale

Are there any really great SPICE models for audio transformers? I use Tina, and it does have a long list of parameters I can specify, but I don't have a clue about almost all of them. Does it appear that enough parameters are included in the Tina spice model of a transformer?

Attachments

• Tina xfr.JPG
    Tina xfr.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 191
Status
Not open for further replies.