Design: Horn High Sensitivity Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jack,
He said no eq was used at the time of those curves. No boost on the compression driver.

Exactly, and this is the big clue. Also you say no boost on the compression driver. But it is bi amped, not passive. And there are two compression drivers. So to me there is a boost on the high frequency compression driver compared to the mid frequency compression driver.

Normally one would have quite a boost to keep the upper limits (20K) in line with the rest of the HF, 5K. The fact that 20K is higher in level than the 3k to 6k octave, and the fact that 7K is higher than 5K by about 10db says that he has the relative gain of the HF spectrum to mids. If it were a crossover point problem it would be much more narrow band, as Art hedged in his first response.

To my way of looking at it, if the highs were 10 db lower, then it would be fairly flat from 3K to 10K, and start rolling of there. And need the CD boost to bring 20K back up. To have a high point in the 2K area (broad band) that needs taming is quite in line with my experience of this driver.

You are all seeing a dip in the 3-6k range, I am seeing a boost in the 1.5-3K range that needs to come down, and a relative gain in the highs to the mids.

If I understand what is going on here at all it appears that there is only one compression driver that has a two section diaphragm and a single voicecoil driving the device. So how are you using a separate amplifier to drive both sections of the same voicecoil, I am missing something here?

If I understand what is going on here at all it appears that there is only one compression driver that has a two section diaphragm and a single voicecoil driving the device. So how are you using a separate amplifier to drive both sections of the same voicecoil, I am missing something here?

The BMS 4590 is a dual concentric compression driver. It has a mid and high diaphragm. 3.5" VC for the mids, and 1.75" VC for the highs. 500hz to 6,3 on the mids, and 6,3 on up on the highs.

Hi Guys,
Last night I had some technnical issues with the MiniDSP and the woofer amp. I changed the computer GUI from Mac to Windows and it wasn't working well, so I need a few days make that work again and improve it.
I need to buy a longer microphone cable, to have a propper measurement setup to do this well, so I can repeat measurements faster.
I will be back as soon as I have a better setup, better measurements and more info...

Hi Kindhorman, The driver has two voice coils too. It's justdrivers in one, with a common 2in output:
http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/155588_datasheet.pdf

Best!

Last edited:
Charly,
Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to do and that this was your first experience with a horn loaded system. I was wondering why you decided to go with an open backed bass enclosure and a horn loaded section above that? I am having trouble with the two opposed polar patterns.

I would go with a 15" speaker or even smaller if need be to cross over into the horn mid section better. The truth is that you can always add a larger driver for the bottom octave if you want that bass impact that you get so easy from an 18" speaker.

I guess it was the statement of the mids and highs right under the chart that I looked at to fast and thought was two separate horns.......

Have fun learning, you will learn much if you keep at it. I am sure this will only be the beginning of your horn experience.
No worries, I am glad we understood each other.

a>
Here is a photo of the HF diaphragm, and a cutaway of a driver. (Note: this is a 4592 driver, not a 4590. The main difference is that the 4590 is a ceramic magnet, and this is a neo magnet. There are some other differences, as this is a later model, but the main working physics is the same.)
The sound from the mid diaphragm goes off the back side of the diaphragm and goes through slots that are behind it. The sound goes through tubes, and into the center, where you can see the tubes terminate as fins where they meet the pole piece. In the photo that is more straight on, you can see the ring in the very back behind the fins for the mid range tubes. That is the exit for the HF, the sound from this diaphragm merges with the sound from the MF diaphragm near the pole piece where the slots meet the pole piece. The HF diaphragm is set back slightly, so that the HF and MF are time aligned.

Attachments

• P1020184.jpg
    P1020184.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1020187.jpg
    P1020187.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1020185.jpg
    P1020185.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 71
OK guys. I improve the measuring setup. This allows me to measure and listen in a more agile way so I plan to go on with more measurements.

1) First of all, I discovered why I had a big dip in the 5khz-7khz zone. It was because the HF driver has less sensitivity than the the MF driver. The first time I try to setup somthing, I just increased HF driver volume, HF sounded very clear, but this produced the big dip.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2) Blue is the sum of the 3 drivers with equal volume level (woofer is an exception because it uses a 10W amplifier).
3) Green is the same response with an increase of 15db in the volume (i did this just to confirm what was going on in my original measurement).

4) Please be aware that I am already filtering bands (arbitrary) for each driver based on BMS specificacion of his crossover ( LowPass 12db/oct & HighPass 18db/oct). I guess I should relax those even more to have a better idea of how they behave in the crossover region, but I am a bit shy about stressing drivers and broking something.

Now, this his the full response (blue, including woofer) versus the responses of the Mid & High drivers:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
1) So the question is now, what would be a better and more natural way to correct this.
2) also, why at higher frecuency spl decreases. Is it something about biradial horns?
3) Again: Please be aware that I am already filtering bands (arbitrary) for each driver based on BMS specificacion of his crossover ( LowPass 12db/oct & HighPass 18db/oct). I guess I should relax those even more to have a better idea of how they behave in the crossover region, but I am a bit shy about stressing drivers and broking something.

p.s. I am measuring at arround 4 meters away from the horn (kind of in axis).
p.p.s. Now I am going to check what EQ methods are available in the Minidsp to see if one is suitable for this...

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Charly,

This is much better, but there is still work to be done.

Note the word "gating" in your first graph on the frequency axis. That is the frequency below which everything is garbage. Only the graph to the right of the marker is realistic.

You can play with this gate in the impulse window. As you slide the slider to the right after the first impulse, more and more reflections come in. You can see the reflections as spikes in your impulse response.

In Holm, for the particular measurement, there is a button called "Options". Inside, you can choose how to view the measurement. You can choose frequency domain smoothing. Input 3.0 as your smoothing. Now this view is valid for the entire frequency range, i.e., 20 Hz to 20 kHz. You can see where your bass level is compared to the mid. But remember, you have now asked Holm to take the impulse response for all time and smooth the response in frequency domain. So, it will include all the reflections. So, you will likely see some peaks and dips, but some of them will go away because of the 1/3rd octave smoothing. You can lessen the smoothing by inputting 6.0, 9.0, 24.0, 48.0.

It looks like your phase is reversed. Try reversing the leads of the supertweeter on the BMS coax, i.e., connect your amp positive to tweeter negative or vice versa. Then measure again and see if the dip in the HF has gone away.

A word about MiniDSP. I use it too, and it is wonderful. Superb. You don't want to boost anything in MiniDSP. it is a poor preamp, and it will run out of dynamic range very fast. A better thing to do is to cut. So, for the above post, you can say filter type is 'low shelf', gain -16. It should produce the same filter, but now, you are cutting the lows instead of boosting the highs.

Last edited:
2) also, why at higher frecuency spl decreases. Is it something about biradial horns?
3) Again: Please be aware that I am already filtering bands (arbitrary) for each driver based on BMS specificacion of his crossover ( LowPass 12db/oct & HighPass 18db/oct). I guess I should relax those even more to have a better idea of how they behave in the crossover region, but I am a bit shy about stressing drivers and broking something.

p.s. I am measuring at arround 4 meters away from the horn (kind of in axis).

2) Yes, horns that are not exponential will experience this. (Exponential horns will have a flatter response, but only on axis. Tom Danley explains this very well, you can find it almost everywhere he writes about horn response.)

3) Try measuring the midrange only, with no crossover on the high end. (High frequencies will not stress the mid diaphragm.)

4) Measure one horn only, about 1M from the horn.

PS, I do not see it in the graph right now, but if you are doing 12db/octave one way, and 18 db/octave the other way, you are probably out of polarity as RA7 says. and you should try it both ways.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Based in advice I equalized the 3-10khz area reducing the signal.
Green is original, Red was with equalization, and green was with equalization but also inverting tweeter polarity.

Here is the detail of the response with the equalization and tweeter inversion. Signal was smothed by 1/3oct.

and here I attenuated Mid and High at the level of the woofer.
I look at it and I think it could be done better, I am thinking about giving it another try, but I am going to listen to it first....

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So much better. Good job. Keep working. It should sound much better than previous iterations.

That dip near 300-400 hz might be floor bounce cancellation. How does it sound? Do the vocals lack firmness? If yes, then it's a real dip. What's your low mid crossover?

Thanks Ra7,
To be honest I am not very happy, It sounds more correct, more like a wall with all frecuencies there, but not sure, something missing, like it sucked life? sorry, not sure about how to describe it in technical terms since I am not sure what is going on. Could be too many things, so the only option is keep experimenting.
1) I am presumming that maybe I just like highs higher, so I can fell all the micro detail and bronzes, even if it's not flat...
2) other posibility is that I am equalizing too aggresively, since I am applying tons of dB EQ here and there. So I want to review all I have done and see If I can apply less EQ. I am thinking that maybe, move from a 10W amp to a 100W amp for the woofer may put the woofer beside the horn, so there will be less necesity to attenuate the horn. Also want to do as much attenuation as possible in analog.... I felt like, maybe, dynamics suffered a bit... but I am only GUESSING at this point. more work to do...

3) Pending is the work with the woofer, and it's crossover point is now at 500hz. This horn/driver is suppoused to go far lower so I expect to be measuring again and doing some comparisons.

4) I think I need to think and listen a lot about what is going on here...

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes... your thinking about it in the right way. Listen. Adjust. Measure. Listen.

Life sucked out likely means fundamentals are missing. This is the 200 to 400 Hz range. If it is lower than the rest of the spectrum, it just sounds bad. You should be as flat as possible from about 200 Hz, all the way up to 5000 Hz. Of course, what you measure is not always going to tell you how it sounds. For example, the floor bounce cancellation may be some part of the 400 Hz dip. You bring it up too much and it sounds congested. Getting the 200 Hz to 500 Hz range right in relation to bass and highs is very very important for music.

Don't worry about how low the compression driver 'should' go. I'd say that the woofer will outperform the CD below 500 Hz. Just my thought.

Look at this post:
Altec VOTT Reborn!!

The "after" is the balance you should be shooting for in the listening position. But it's very hard to get a clean measurement below 500 Hz. What I do is take about 10 measurements (left 8", center, right 8", 25" high, 36" high, 45" high) around the listening spot, then take a power average. You can do that in ARTA. This will average out the floor bounce and room response in the region below 500 Hz. You can then compare this with the target.

But before getting the overall balance right, focus on the crossover from the mid to low.

Regarding dynamics, if you are cutting the lows in EQ, and using only 10W, it will not have good dynamics.

Thanks Ra7,
To be honest I am not very happy, It sounds more correct, more like a wall with all frecuencies there, but not sure, something missing, like it sucked life? Also want to do as much attenuation as possible in analog.... I felt like, maybe, dynamics suffered a bit... but I am only GUESSING at this point. more work to do...
Carlos,

One thing to consider in your gain structure is the basic nature of DSP, if you reduce level too much, there is less "information" to retrieve, resulting in less detail, more "grainy" sound.

Ideally, it is best to run the DSP as close to clipping on peaks as possible, and reduce level after, preferably at the amplifier's input gain stage.

As well as sounding better, this will also improve the signal to noise ratio.

Also, since you "acclimatized" your hearing to listening with the mid/highs sounding twice as loud (+10 dB) as the lows, it will take a similar interval of time before a flat response again sounds "normal" to your hearing.

That said, 10 watts per side in the bass department limits your LF peaks to under 110 dB clean at the listening position, while the mid/highs are capable of 120+ dB, adding 10 dB headroom (going to 100 watt amps) would be a good idea if you like dynamic realism and low distortion.

Art

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.