dCS modification.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fmak said:

You will need to trace the circuit to the output plugs. I don't know about the Verdi but if it is balanced there needs to be 4 caps.

The Verdi is supposed to soung 'thinner' than the 954/Elgar because of the 'somplified ' circuit and should be 'improved'

:confused: Verdi is a transport....
If you mean 'Delius', the DAC the original poster wants to experiment on: like all dCS boxes it is balanced. I count 6 of those caps you detest on attached picture of the output board:)

Could you elaborate on 'somplified' circuit? And how to 'improve'?

Attachments

• delius dac.jpg
    delius dac.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 611
fmak probably just typed Verdi by a mistake.

It is those 6 caps I'm planning on replacing. I have to check the sizes to be sure i get the hood back on.

How would you describe the diference in sound between the FK and N series from BG? I was originally thinking of going with the N series, but if I get more dynamics from the FK, i might go that way instead.

Dynamics is the only drawback with dCS equipment imo. It can sound a bit to polite in some settings. However i dont want to sacrifice its superb resolution.

Best Regards

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
timcatn said:

It is those 6 caps I'm planning on replacing. I have to check the sizes to be sure i get the hood back on.

How would you describe the diference in sound between the FK and N series from BG? I was originally thinking of going with the N series, but if I get more dynamics from the FK, i might go that way instead.

Dynamics is the only drawback with dCS equipment imo. It can sound a bit to polite in some settings. However i dont want to sacrifice its superb resolution.

Best Regards

Looking at the pic I would guess that those caps are NOT coupling caps but supply bypasses. Pointless to swap them out, unless you just like to tinker with equipment.

Jan Didden

timcatn said:

Best Regards

FKs are expensive, more so than Ns. They are used for coupling in polarised applications. They sound less grainy than Ns which to me have some residual 'grain'.

The six caps you showed in the picture may not be the output section and is very different from my 954. This has 4 or more (from memory) output transistors all tied in parallel to give a very robust output stage. But it must be relatively easy to trace back to the output sockets. There should be some relays close by.

Yes I typed Verdi not Delius by mistake. The picture shown by the last poster liooks like the digital ringdac section. I see no output stage unless they have gone over to ICs. Even if they have, you can always identify the opamps as opposed to the many digital chips in the dac/receiver sections.

I also changed my analog and digital sockets to better ones.

what's all the fuss about anyway?

fmak said:
The six caps you showed in the picture may not be the output section and is very different from my 954. This has 4 or more (from memory) output transistors all tied in parallel to give a very robust output stage. But it must be relatively easy to trace back to the output sockets. There should be some relays close by.
(...) The picture shown by the last poster liooks like the digital ringdac section. I see no output stage unless they have gone over to ICs.(...)

The black connector on the left feeds the XLR-outputs directly; the one on the right: the RCA's.
Looks like you are jumping to conclusions from memories of a completely different output section:bigeyes:

fmak.

Remember that the 954 you are familiar with is equivalent to the Elgar. The Delius wich i have is a simpler, cheaper design. So its probably many differences inside.

Lourens.

Yes the connectors go directly to the analog outputs. I will use the rca's for the time beeing since i dont have any XLR cables of decent quality. I might try some studio XLR's.

I don´t think that your DAC have any coupling caps at analog stage or anywhere in the signal path.

Stages are probably servo controled with transistor uotput stage(output buffer). Separate stage for rca and XLR outs.

Don´t touch anything in that DAC. It is a type off component where is everything tuned to sounds most neutral.

I like to tweak everything I see or hear but threre are machines that are just done right , like my Studer CDP , and your DAC.

Gasho said:
(...)
Don´t touch anything in that DAC. It is a type off component where is everything tuned to sounds most neutral.

I like to tweak everything I see or hear but threre are machines that are just done right , like my Studer CDP , and your DAC.

I completely agree!

BTW I use a modified Studer A727 as a transport, WCLK-slaved to the Delius, but save another one untouched:D

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gasho said:
[snip]Don´t touch anything in that DAC. It is a type off component where is everything tuned to sounds most neutral.

Fully agree. Let me put it this way: If I ran dCS, and my engineer had designed a great DAC that would change it sound by just swapping a couple of cap brands, that design engineer would be looking for another job real fast!

Jan Didden

fmak said:

FKs are expensive, more so than Ns. They are used for coupling in polarised applications. They sound less grainy than Ns which to me have some residual 'grain'.

Comparable FKs are about 50% the price of N type caps. When properly applied, N type are the best sounding caps in BG line.

Gasho said:

There is no problem whatsoever with touching such legendary equipment. Just install sockets and swap the caps. Listen for a while and choose the ones you like the most.

If I didn't change few caps in my ML37 tansport i would have sold it long ago. Now, after modifications, this is the best transport I ever had.

Re: Re: Re: Good Clock?

Elso Kwak said:
OK and what clock is that?
:confused:

Branded 'Golledge'. Look at the picture on the left, two of those peaking underneath the upper board. More I don't know. I could post a more detailed picture of them if you wish (will take time to trim them).
Only once my Delius was opened, about a year ago (hence these pictures), not by me of course(too much respect...) but by a trusted guru in Eindhoven, and only to verify things were ok :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Clock?

Lourens said:
Branded 'Golledge'. Look at the picture on the left, two of those peaking underneath the upper board. More I don't know. I could post a more detailed picture of them if you wish (will take time to trim them).
Only once my Delius was opened, about a year ago (hence these pictures), not by me of course(too much respect...) but by a trusted guru in Eindhoven, and only to verify things were ok :)
Thanks a lot Lourens!

:)

Peter Daniel said:
There is no problem whatsoever with touching such legendary equipment. Just install sockets and swap the caps. Listen for a while and choose the ones you like the most.

If I didn't change few caps in my ML37 tansport i would have sold it long ago. Now, after modifications, this is the best transport I ever had.

Generally speaking you may be right. But don't compare ML to dCS. I used a 37-360S combo for several weeks, but the Studer-Delius combo is (at least to my ears) far superior. I know it\s not completely fair to compare, because the 37 slaves your DAC, and as we all know this is not the best way to go. So I'm not surprised modifying this beautiful ML-transport is quite rewarding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.