DC phono

Hello,

With a friend of mine we planed to build Thorsen RIAA. We will use two valve : Amprex 7025 and Phillips miniwatt ecc88. We were brainstorming on High Voltage PSU, when i ask an another friend of maine about a schematic, i configure and simulated this under one :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The +250V output voltage present a 107db 100hz PSSR. What did you think about this regulation and do we need other capa (what amount) after regulation?

Marc

Konnichiwa,

Idefixes said:
The +250V output voltage present a 107db 100hz PSSR. What did you think about this regulation and do we need other capa (what amount) after regulation?

I am not sure if the transistors have sufficient voltage ratings. Also, circuits like this one tend to be instable without load capacitance. Past that I suspect a "boosted LM317" circuit would probably provide superior objective performance, but by all means build as you like. Be aware that most new designs do not quite work the way simulations predict and need debugging.

Sayonara

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

I am not sure if the transistors have sufficient voltage ratings. Also, circuits like this one tend to be instable without load capacitance. Past that I suspect a "boosted LM317" circuit would probably provide superior objective performance, but by all means build as you like. Be aware that most new designs do not quite work the way simulations predict and need debugging.

Sayonara

Hello thorsen, my friend is not a HT afficionados. I was unable to find a schem relative to your bossted LM317 that why i ask him about un regulated PSU. He said me : "it runs under simulation but i don't know in reality what it will give". Have you a schem from your one?

Thanks. Marc

Here's Thorsens Schema under eagle:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As you advise i separate the GND in 2 stars connected through through external Cu wiring

And the Pcb interpretation

What do you think about it?

Marc

more gain

I built this circuit a few months ago. I used S&BTx103's before it and S&B TX102's after it then into my power amp.
I've now decided that I want to try the Behringer dcx2496 digital crossover but, as this is a pro audio piece of kit, I believe I'll need more signal to drive it properly.

I've no intention of giving up this phono pre it's a superb sounding amp, but I would like some complementary gain stage that I can build into the chassis after the TVC, possibly using the B+ and heater supplies.
Will anyone (Thorsten?) recommend a suitable circuit :)

Thanks
Kev

Re: more gain

Konnichiwa,

KevinTams said:
I've now decided that I want to try the Behringer dcx2496 digital crossover but, as this is a pro audio piece of kit, I believe I'll need more signal to drive it properly.

I've no intention of giving up this phono pre it's a superb sounding amp, but I would like some complementary gain stage that I can build into the chassis after the TVC, possibly using the B+ and heater supplies.
Will anyone (Thorsten?) recommend a suitable circuit :)

First, the easiest methode may actually be to modify the input circuit of the DCX2496 to have a more apropriate "full scale" level (one resistor per channel changed), from +22dbu to +12dbu, a switch that is present on the DEQ2496 and works fine and makes the DEQ quite compatible with consumer gear.

That failing, I would suggest to place the Amplification stage BEFORE, not after the TX102 and drive the DCX directly from the TX102. The Active stage should be applied to both digital sources and to the phonostage output.

A good idea might be a 2A3, choke loaded, which will give a little over 10db gain, very linear and will provide around 1KOhm drive impedance to the TX-102.

Otherwise, using a 6S45 and a 4:1 stepdown transformer (if using parallel feed S&B do have a suitable anode load choke and the TX101 Line transformer - with battery bias and a TX-102 that would be in effect the final version of the Euridice covered on Brian Cherry's AA board) will give around 20db gain after the TX-102, this circuit has been build previously largely like that and sounds excellent as linestage....

I am sure other options exist, if you do not get frightened by using NFB, elsewhere a simple 6SN7 (5687 also usable) linestage with a feedback loop is presented, which could be used before or after the TX-102.

Sayonara

Re: Re: more gain

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

First, the easiest methode may actually be to modify the input circuit of the DCX2496 to have a more apropriate "full scale" level (one resistor per channel changed), from +22dbu to +12dbu, a switch that is present on the DEQ2496 and works fine and makes the DEQ quite compatible with consumer gear.

I wouldn't want to modify this yet as it's brand new and still under warranty and if it doesn't perform as I hope then I'll sell it on.

That failing, I would suggest to place the Amplification stage BEFORE, not after the TX102 and drive the DCX directly from the TX102. The Active stage should be applied to both digital sources and to the phonostage output. [/B]

OK no problems here.

A good idea might be a 2A3, choke loaded, which will give a little over 10db gain, very linear and will provide around 1KOhm drive impedance to the TX-102. [/B]

This will need a separate B+ supply from the phono stage and I guess to fit it onto the chassis I'll have to move the psu's onto a separate chassis, but looks interesting.

Otherwise, using a 6S45 and a 4:1 stepdown transformer (if using parallel feed S&B do have a suitable anode load choke and the TX101 Line transformer - with battery bias and a TX-102 that would be in effect the final version of the Euridice covered on Brian Cherry's AA board) will give around 20db gain after the TX-102, this circuit has been build previously largely like that and sounds excellent as linestage.... [/B]

This looks very expensive.

I am sure other options exist, if you do not get frightened by using NFB, elsewhere a simple 6SN7 (5687 also usable) linestage with a feedback loop is presented, which could be used before or after the TX-102.

Sayonara [/B]

NFB doesn't bother me, sound quality and not too expensive are the main factors.

Would you go for the 2A3 in preference to a 6SN7, 5687?

thanks

Kev

Re: Re: Re: more gain

Konnichiwa,

KevinTams said:
I wouldn't want to modify this yet as it's brand new and still under warranty and if it doesn't perform as I hope then I'll sell it on.

Your call,considering the cost I'd not bat an eyelid....

KevinTams said:
This will need a separate B+ supply from the phono stage and I guess to fit it onto the chassis I'll have to move the psu's onto a separate chassis, but looks interesting.

Or you could build a seperate linestage... ;-)

KevinTams said:
This looks very expensive.

Not THAT BAD, but yes.

KevinTams said:
Would you go for the 2A3 in preference to a 6SN7, 5687?

If cheap & servicable is the key the 6SN7 (but for my taste fitted with 5687's) Linestage from here would be good:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=353015#post353015

I'd stick the 102 behind it, manipulate the feedback resistor value for the right amount of gain (not too much though), BTW ignore the whole nay saying in the thread by some technocrates, it works fine, actually the design is based on one by Jim Fosgate, I din't feel like namedropping at the time.

Sayonara