Dayton RS100-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Iain McNeill said:

I like the TB's and for the price, you can try them out without breaking the bank. I bought a pair, liked them so much I bought another 6. You could even start with two and put them in a pair of cabs with room to upgrade to 4 later on. They won't compare too favorably to some of the other full range designs presented here though.

This wouldn't be for me. It's for my friend who isn't an audiophile. He listens to music on occasion but mostly listens to the sound of whatever is on the TV screen.:D

italynstylion said:
This wouldn't be for me. It's for my friend who isn't an audiophile. He listens to music on occasion but mostly listens to the sound of whatever is on the TV screen.:D

You should also consider the Mark Audio CHR-70. They're priced the same as the TB with the same sensitivity but twice the power handling and a much lower Fs. Also, the MA specs have been proven to be accurate (believable).

http://www.markaudio.com/
http://www.alpair-usa.com/

HareBrained said:

You should also consider the Mark Audio CHR-70. They're priced the same as the TB with the same sensitivity but twice the power handling and a much lower Fs. Also, the MA specs have been proven to be accurate (believable).

http://www.markaudio.com/
http://www.alpair-usa.com/

Wow...I didn't even know those existed. Those really look very nice and, if the graph is accurate, could be used a little lower than 100hz if I build the right BR for them.

Thanks for suggesting them.

italynstylion said:

Wow...I didn't even know those existed. Those really look very nice and, if the graph is accurate, could be used a little lower than 100hz if I build the right BR for them.

Thanks for suggesting them.

You're welcome. MA has a couple of recommended BR designs. I have a pair coming in the mail. I'm going to build a dual-chamber reflex with total volume of 7.5L. This type of enclosure helps control excursion allowing for a deeper tuning and better power handling. Method can be found on diysubwoofers.org.

HareBrained said:

You're welcome. MA has a couple of recommended BR designs. I have a pair coming in the mail. I'm going to build a dual-chamber reflex with total volume of 7.5L. This type of enclosure helps control excursion allowing for a deeper tuning and better power handling. Method can be found on diysubwoofers.org.

A dual BR setup (wired in series for an 8ohm final) was what I was looking to do. I found Mark's plans for a simple BR enclosure for one and it said 6.4L tuned to 58 was optimal. If I was going to use a pair of these in each cabinet would I just double the volume to 12.8?

PS: these are the plans he posted http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1775027&stamp=1237159249

italynstylion said:
A dual BR setup (wired in series for an 8ohm final) was what I was looking to do. I found Mark's plans for a simple BR enclosure for one and it said 6.4L tuned to 58 was optimal. If I was going to use a pair of these in each cabinet would I just double the volume to 12.8?

... and a second port of the same dimensions, 40mm(d) x 144mm(l), assuming you're looking at a dual DRIVER configuration and not the dual chamber

A sim of this enclosure yields a fairly robust ripple of 2.5db at 95Hz, ramping up from 500Hz. You could consider this baffle step compensation if they're going to be used free standing. If you don't want that, you could lower the tuning (lengthening the ports) or increase the enclosure volume. By lengthening to 200mm (50Hz tuning), the ripple is 1.5db. By going to 17L (keeping the ports the same size), the ripple is also 1.5db (and final tuning is coincidentally 50Hz). But increasing the volume will improve the quality of the response below 100Hz at the cost of a little power handling.

italynstylion said:

You're right. My Unibox program must be broken. I don't know why it was giving me 3.7". Thanks for the correction.

You're not the first person, in this thread, to have this happen. The DB get corrupted. You could try to export the DB and get a new copy of the spreadsheet. Or you'll just have to start over entirely. On one occasion, I just deleted one offending entry, save, reentered, and everything was fine. I guess that's where you should start.

HareBrained said:

You're not the first person, in this thread, to have this happen. The DB get corrupted. You could try to export the DB and get a new copy of the spreadsheet. Or you'll just have to start over entirely. On one occasion, I just deleted one offending entry, save, reentered, and everything was fine. I guess that's where you should start.

Thanks, I gave it a shot and I'm getting much better port length suggestions now. With the database set for a port with one flared end it's giving me 25.22cm for the desired 50hz tuning frequency.

WOW!

I know that this is an old thread, but I just installed some of these RS100-4's in my car's ported door speaker enclosures.

All I can say is WOW! The heavens practically opened up... well not quite but you get the idea ;)

For some reason, the bass they produced was a bit boomy until I hooked up a balanced minidsp and added two titanium dome tweeters to my DIN pocket. With a gradual high pass filter at 30hz, much of the "boom" was removed. It was either the acoustics of my cabin or the fact that I tuned the 3l enclosure ports a little too high. The tweeters are currently crossed at 4500hz with a 2nd order L-R crossover and are delayed by 1.5ms.

Now, I can hear all of the individual notes played by a bass guitarist and the low notes of a piano. I estimate that I have good extension down to about 60hz. I will need to run some sweeps with my testing microphone before confirming. I don't even know if I will need a small subwoofer in the back.

I'm so excited because I have had to live with horrible coaxial car drivers dropped into untuned bass-reflex enclosures for years. Measured bass extension barely reached 120hz. Until I found Diyaudio, I never realized how badly I was ripped off by the "audio expert" who installed them. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.