Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I found myself asking if the AK4399 DAC is working on daphile?

Assembled AK4399+PCM2706+WM8805+OPA627AU Audio DAC Boad (include USB card) | eBay

Thanks!

The main USB interface chip there is PCM2706.

I would be shocked if the Linux kernel does not have support for PCM2706. That's all that matters. Linux doesn't care what happens to the signal after that.

By the way, if you plan to use that board through the USB interface, your max sampling rate will be limited to 48K buy the PCM2706 (regardless what DAC chip comes later in the chain).

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm2706

You would be better to buy an AK4399 DAC board with I2S input and then a separate USB-SPDIF-I2S board (XMOS or CM6631A). Then connect them together via I2S. You can buy both these boards on ebay for about the same price as the one you linked to.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok, thanks for the hint. Do you have any further recommendations? :)

I am using this for USB-to-I2S: CM6631A 24bit 192kHz USB TO Coaxial AND Optical Fiber Spdif AND I2S BY LJM NEW | eBay

Daphile likes it.

Regarding DAC boards, there are many at different price points. If you are interested in AK4399, you could try this one: AK4399 I2S Decode Board Operational AMP NE5532 Encoder Board FOR Amplifier DIY | eBay

There are several other that are almost identical but with different opamps. Most of the opamps are probably fake. I have a selection of opamp "samples" direct from the manufacturers that I can try in various boards.

If you want to try ES9023, here is one that I have just ordered: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/24Bit-192KHz...Ultra-Low-Noise-Regulator-24192-/331188401465 Time will tell if it is any good.

The sky is the limit. Once you have USB-to-i2s, you can just get more DAC cards with i2s input and keep trying them. It is very important to provide all these boards with a good clean supply of power, of course.

Last edited:
Daphile on USB Stick
Can somebody explain me exactly how can I manage to get an installation on a USB-Flash which is possible to update via Web UI?
Regards
Sigi

Hi Siginitz,
the USB stick where you want to permanently install Daphile needs to be completely empty. Meaning not even formatted!

You can completely erase a USB stick in Computerverwaltung / Laufwerke under Windows. Afterwards the USB stick is listed in Daphile as installable device.
Just did it a few days ago.
PM me if you have problems if you want ;)

BR

Mark

Hello joelha, I'm not an expert but I will try and direct you in the right direction in case you haven't got it working yet.

1. open Synology Assistant and it will show the i.p. address, note it down.
2. in Daphile Network Drive setup, you select nfs. and enter your i.p address followed by colon slash and the root directory your music is in. (example - 192.168.0.9:/media) The identification area I have 'music'.

My music is on a Netgear NAS, main directory is 'media' with 'music' directory inside.

I am attaching a screenshot of my setup... Dave
View attachment 470362

Dave,

Sorry for the very long delay in replying.

For some reason, I'm not getting notified of new messages on this thread even though I keep subscribing.

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm up and running now.

Joel

Hi Siginitz,
the USB stick where you want to permanently install Daphile needs to be completely empty. Meaning not even formatted!

You can completely erase a USB stick in Computerverwaltung / Laufwerke under Windows. Afterwards the USB stick is listed in Daphile as installable device.
Just did it a few days ago.
PM me if you have problems if you want ;)

BR

Mark

Hi, thanks a lot! I managed it, I used diskpart from win 7 ( it is hidden in win 7) to make an unformatted USB-Stick. Then used win 32 disk imager for installation on another stick. worked fine!
Question: do you know of an Wifi-USB Stick compatible with daphile
Regards
Sigi

Joined 2011
Paid Member
For the first time in many, many months, I am considering going back to a default Mint installation and using Clementine (with Android remote app). Why? Well, I often find myself frustrated with some things in Daphile. Lack of availability of plugins is one of them. Then there is the fact that Daphile relies so heavily on tags. If something is not correctly tagged, it simply doesn't show up in the list. There is a file/folder browser mode, but it is slow and cumbersome.

I really like many aspects of Daphile, but I think I need to switch things up to remind me why I deal with these frustrating things.

Hello Sigi,
Do you have Daphile installed in the WiFi USB stick?
Thanks
Felipe

Certainly not! Sorry if my post gave place to missinterpretation. I just wanted to share my experience for those who want to connect to Daphile through a wireless adapter or an access point. I have tried many WiFi USB adapters without success, therefore my post.
Cheers
Sigi

working usb nic on daphile

I have found from my experience, not that it is extensive, but at least 3 usb wireless dongles are recognised and work with Daphile. They are;

(a) D-Link DWA-123 version A1; I think. Note that this is not the current model.

(b) Aztech WL552USB

(c) Aztech WL562USB

I have found from my experience, not that it is extensive, but at least 3 usb wireless dongles are recognised and work with Daphile. They are;

(a) D-Link DWA-123 version A1; I think. Note that this is not the current model.

(b) Aztech WL552USB

(c) Aztech WL562USB

Hi,
I couldn't find a shop that sells them. It seems that at least in germany they are outdated.
Cheers
Sigi

For the first time in many, many months, I am considering going back to a default Mint installation and using Clementine (with Android remote app). Why? Well, I often find myself frustrated with some things in Daphile. Lack of availability of plugins is one of them. Then there is the fact that Daphile relies so heavily on tags. If something is not correctly tagged, it simply doesn't show up in the list. There is a file/folder browser mode, but it is slow and cumbersome.

I really like many aspects of Daphile, but I think I need to switch things up to remind me why I deal with these frustrating things.

Why not using a tagger? I normally do this kind of manutention with Picard.