Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Hi, I just updated my hyper-v virtual machine to the new version and now it doesn't boot...anyone else experiencing this problem? The release notes say this new version is updated for vmware...maybe something broke along the way for hyper-v?

Thanks!
Why do you want to run it In VM? The whole point is to run it in barebone computer with only DAC connected. That way you avoid all interferense from multitasking environment to main function - play music (which is a real time application).

Why do you want to run it In VM? The whole point is to run it in barebone computer with only DAC connected. That way you avoid all interferense from multitasking environment to main function - play music (which is a real time application).

I run the "server" portion of daphile as a vm and dedicated pc's connected to usb dacs for the player portion. This keeps the players at a minimum load and I can keep all my music at a central location that is continuously backup. Works well.

But, I am still having issues with the latest version of daphile. I can boot it fine with a vm using the iso image, but after I install it on a virtual disk, it does not boot....any thoughts?

Not really a hard real-time application, as the I/O processor will handle the actual low-level transmission, and all the main CPU needs to do is deliver a bufferful of data before the previous one runs out.
Yes, not hard real time. But it still has to deliver over 10 Mbps stream without interruptions. Some DACs are sensitive to any delay - they have very small buffer of 10 mS or less. So any activity that holds processor for that long will cause interruption. That is why it is recommended to have dedicated player system.

I run the "server" portion of daphile as a vm and dedicated pc's connected to usb dacs for the player portion. This keeps the players at a minimum load and I can keep all my music at a central location that is continuously backup. Works well.

But, I am still having issues with the latest version of daphile. I can boot it fine with a vm using the iso image, but after I install it on a virtual disk, it does not boot....any thoughts?
Server portion is LMS - a.k.a. Logitech Media Server. You do not need Dafile image for that. Just use any Linux installation and install LMS as an application. Installation packages are available for Ubuntu, Redhat, SuSe and other Linux flavors. I believe there are versions for Windows and OSX too.

But it still has to deliver over 10 Mbps stream without interruptions.

That is nothing for computers younger than 15 yrs.

Some DACs are sensitive to any delay - they have very small buffer of 10 mS or less.

PCI(-e) cards offer up to several seconds of buffering.

USB cards use double buffering - the actual RAM read by the USB controller is filled by a high-priority kernel thread.

User-space player can communicate with the driver in much larger chunks - tens/hundreds of ms. And keeping 10ms is no deal for modern kernel.

So any activity that holds processor for that long will cause interruption.

Unless there is a bug in a kernel driver, stalling the whole kernel, kernel will not allow for such long CPU allocation.

That is why it is recommended to have dedicated player system.

It is recommended mostly by people who have no idea how the audio playback in their PC actually works.

Of course the risk of xruns raises with large loads (compiling kernel in several threads, running firefox with the unsatiable flashplugin) but running a Squeezeserver on any recent PC will not cause any problems. Audio playback is a very little CPU-demanding job.

Random "Static" Pop During Playback

Hi,

I am getting a random static pop when playing music. I also hear some steady static on low volume passages almost like LP record static. I had posted about this earlier but then it seemed isolated to when songs changed - especially when going from high to low bitrate music or visa versa. For that I tweaked the sample rate and thought it helped a bit. Also now using Squeezelite. Note: Same music played on iphone by using iPeng to access Daphile is flawless.

So system is a PC running Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz. If I recall correctly, it has 4GB ram and a > 60GB SSD. This is connected to the V-Link via a USB cable (not a high quality one), then to my RAKDAK via a good quality RCA cable.

I have swapped audio equipment around but this did not help. Think it is now isolated to my Musical Fidelity V-Link.

Question is: Could this be the cheap USB cable? It was new but came with a printer or some other computer equipment. Wanted to find out others experience before investing in expensive USB cable.

The static noise upon changing samplerate can be caused by the driver/HW. The random audible pops later on could be the xruns - buffer underruns. Had daphile remote ssh or local console access, it would be trivial to find out - xruns are reported in the /proc interface. Unfortunately this distro is a black box, no way to troubleshoot (apart of the inefficient trial/error).

The static noise upon changing samplerate can be caused by the driver/HW. The random audible pops later on could be the xruns - buffer underruns. Had daphile remote ssh or local console access, it would be trivial to find out - xruns are reported in the /proc interface. Unfortunately this distro is a black box, no way to troubleshoot (apart of the inefficient trial/error).

I'm one of those who has reported static on changing samplerate. Music plays fine for 4-5 seconds, then fairly loud hashy static that gradually settles over the next minute or so, then fine again. This is with Amanero-Acko SO3-Buffalo IIISE.

I agree that the quality of the cable is not important, but what if connector have interruptions..

Friend just had such a problem.. CD rips played well, problem appeared only when play hires files.. the last thing we checked was the USB cable, one connector was broken..

Well, yes... I guess that if the D+ pullup is missing, the cable can make the device look like a low speed one, restricting speed to 1.5 Mbit/s - marginally enough for 44.1/16.