Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

@ttan98,
If you have a spare empty SATA drive, replace the Win 8.1 HDD, download Daphile, burn to CD and install. It works seamlessly and can be controlled by your phone, including volume if you don't need to hear things that don't exist. I use Squeezer on a real phone (not a kiddy iPhone).

Oops, read last paragraph properly. With a spare PC, you are only 10 minutes away from testing Daphile.

If your hardware will work with Linux, there is a 99.9% chance it will work with Daphile.

The attraction of Daphile is its ease and simplicity of use. It loads faster than Windows then JRiver, is configurable, and a no hassle option.

You can test / trial daphile on any PC without overwriting the core system provided you have an appropriate CPU, 1gb or more of ram and 2gb USB stick. I think you will notice a much cleaner sound using daohile compared to windows / jriver. Also it's free and almost zero cost of ownership compared to windows constant upgrades and configuration tweeks.

And it has a full set of xMOS drivers pre installed which work first time and every time. With windows I found the drivers to be an unstable mess, especially when running foobar.

The comment was directed to ttan98; you answered the question and there is no impediment to him trying Daphile.

Maybe I should have mentioned Daphile instead of Linux. From my point of view, Daphile is Linux. XMOS is supported on Linux and so is Daphile. I recommend XMOS users to try Daphile. It's a very nice music server OS.

BTW, I notice the latest version supports HDCD. I have few HDCD albums, but I don't know if the player is doing HDCD decoding. How do I know if HDCD is playing?

Poting

I am very pleased with daphile and like to think the new releases do in fact make an improvement in the sq. I am always recommending daphile to others as a simpler yet effective alternative to hqplayer and roon, foobar, jriver and jplay. I would however be interested in the opinion of others as to whether they believe the latest daphile releases are indeed an improvement other than just technology.

New Daphile user here. Running 17.05 with realtime kernel.

I've got it loaded on a fairly new Dell/Wyse thin client and mated with a Teac UD-301.

Almost everything seems to be working great, but I cannot set the audio to send Native DSD to the Teac. The only settings are Convert to PCM or DoP. The Native setting is grayed out. The UD-301 is supposed to be able to handle Native DSD. I can't seem to find any help through google searches.

Any ideas?

Here is a screenshot of my audio device settings.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Native DSD requires negotiation between Host and playback device, as it is not part of USB UAC specification. Native DSD devices expose an additional setting in the code, thus a specific driver is needed for each device separately.

I doubt Daphile can recognise native DSD capability correctly for all playback devices. Some maybe, but not all.

I am very pleased with daphile and like to think the new releases do in fact make an improvement in the sq. I am always recommending daphile to others as a simpler yet effective alternative to hqplayer and roon, foobar, jriver and jplay. I would however be interested in the opinion of others as to whether they believe the latest daphile releases are indeed an improvement other than just technology.

Indeed you are 100% right on above and daphile IS sure improvement with each new version I hear. Hearing is believing...:) Cheers!

Are you sure?
Well, maybe Teac is blowing smoke, but they say:
"Capable of 5.6MHz DSD native playback"
I guess they consider DoP to be 'Native"

According to the manufacturer that DAC supports DoP UD-301 | TEAC . Here is a code listing all currently supported native DSD DACs known to latest alsa source code https://github.com/tiwai/sound/blob/master/sound/usb/quirks.c#L1326 - only teac 5XX listed to support native 32bit DSD format.

Anyway, DoP is bit perfect, will feed identical samples to the DAC chip. Nice description of the DSD formats supported by linux alsa https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/dsd.html

Thanks, I guess that explains it. I did find good quality sound with the DoP setting last night and it made the 5.6Mhz DSD light light up.

I guess that is good enough for me.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
192.168.128.0 is the wireless hotspot address.
Not all adapters support the hotspot connection.

You either did not type in the wifi password correctly or the daphile server is too far from your wireless access point.

To be sure things are working correctly, you may want to connect directly to your router/modem/switch to pickup a network ip, go in daphile and look at the wireless network settings.

192.168.128.0 is the wireless hotspot address.
Not all adapters support the hotspot connection.

You either did not type in the wifi password correctly or the daphile server is too far from your wireless access point.

To be sure things are working correctly, you may want to connect directly to your router/modem/switch to pickup a network ip, go in daphile and look at the wireless network settings.

this time I connect directly to my router and I get 192.168.1.16, I still cannot reach the Daphile site any other suggestions?