DAC Kit recommendation please -- I need to upgrade my Fiio D3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I flipped the DIP switches on the SMSL P1 linear regulated power supply to 12V, tested it and it was putting out the 12V volts. Added the extra ferrite magnet thingy in series as you suggested at the end that plugs into the DAC itself.

Did some A/B testing with Mac OS X (no foobar2000 or any way to change any settings on the DAC) versus my FIIO D3 V1 (with linear regulated power supply).

I am still liking the FIIO better. It's mids seem fuller and there is more air(?) around vocals. It seems with the FIIO I feel the mood of the vocals better in for instance Beck's "Already Dead" song (on Sea Change album). I just don't get the same effect from the SMSL M8 & P1. I don't know what it is. Things might sound a bit more "clear" with the M8 but missing something else -- I don't know if it's just a difference in the inherent EQ of the DAC's. The FIIO seems a bit more "grainier" than the M8 .. the M8 appeals to me better in that respect.

If it is some settings that I need to do on my Mac, I have no clue how to set them because I don't run Windows so I can't use the foobar2000 program.

I have two more weeks before I can return this SMSL M8. I'll get these XL-S Encore speakers done ASAP to see how the M8 sounds with them vs. the FIIO.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I am still liking the FIIO better. It's mids seem fuller and there is more air(?) around vocals. It seems with the FIIO I feel the mood of the vocals better in for instance Beck's "Already Dead" song (on Sea Change album). I just don't get the same effect from the SMSL M8 & P1. I don't know what it is. Things might sound a bit more "clear" with the M8 but missing something else -- I don't know if it's just a difference in the inherent EQ of the DAC's. The FIIO seems a bit more "grainier" than the M8 .. the M8 appeals to me better in that respect.

Easily explainable by the "theory of everything" I've yet to seen proven wrong: different strokes for different folks. :) Plenty of times I've preferred component B over A, when it seems like everyone else prefers the opposite. If there was universal agreement on what sounded best, there'd be significantly fewer interesting discussions.

I have two more weeks before I can return this SMSL M8. I'll get these XL-S Encore speakers done ASAP to see how the M8 sounds with them vs. the FIIO.

Assuming you send the M8 back but are still looking for a change, I have two suggestions:

(1) I can't recall if it was already mentioned in this thread, but I'll throw it out anyway: tda1387 x8 DAC. Here's a summary I wrote on AudioCircle (though it's not a bit dated and needs some updates). And there's also the wiki. Out of the box it's kind of mediocre, but with some fairly simple mods it starts sounding quite impressive IMO. For under $200 you can have it completely tricked out.

(2) If you're willing to spend a bit more, the Soekris dam1021 is another good candidate. Here's another AudioCircle post I did on this DAC. You can probably get going with the Soekris for under $300, so comparable to the M8, though if you want a little fancier build, you'll likely spend a bit more.

If you're not familiar with DAC technology, you can read up on "delta sigma versus NOS" to get started; also, I touched on this in the AC post about the tda1387 x8 DAC. But the SMSL M8 and presumably your FIIO use the more commonplace delta sigma technology. As always, it's a matter of different strokes for different folks, meaning there's no shortage of folks arguing which is better. I'd just say it's probably worth your time to try to listen to a decent non-sigma delta amp just to see if you find the sound to be "magical" or not. The tda1387 x8 with mods is a good way to dip your toes in without breaking the bank.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.