dac I/V convertion with very low distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I stumbled upon something really strange. I don't understand this circuit, but it seems to perform very well. It's similar to the Leach moving coil head amp, but the capacitors that grounded the bases have been removed. I don't think I can call this a grounded base amplifier any more. The whole thing floats. I set the current generator to -6.2mA output and what happens is that the power supply just shifts without disturbing the current flows in the transistors. What's really weird is that distortion is extremely low. It's something like five or six zeros, then a number. S/N is about -130dB or more. Go figure, I don't understand it. So, this circuit doesn't seem to care about the DC offset from the current generator.

Attachments

• 2SA970 IV simple.JPG
    2SA970 IV simple.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
I seems to work without grounding the emitters of the bias transistors. I think you could get a noise advantage when you put an elctrolytic between the bases of the bias transistors.

OK, I just now tried that. S/N is the same: -140dB. Distortion is the same too. I don't think I need it. I'm still amazed! wow.

Attachments

• 2SA970 IV capacitor.JPG
    2SA970 IV capacitor.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 336
I have now put the Santos I/U into my system as phono MC pre-pre. Noise is very low and gain is good. As MM stage i use my House RIAA, i called it that way because it should never leave the house as other stages do.
Impressions are very favorable. I have heard and made many transimpedance stages like the Nobrainer, Rosi, The Grail, Aquox and even a balanced version that was the MPP2010.
Usually they major in what is known as "PRAT factor", that is power, rhythm, attack.
They can sound a little over damped and not as fluid as a Fet or tube stage though.
This Santos I/U is different from all transimpedance stages i heard, no, make that from all stages i heard. At first it struck me that the sound was not harsh or sharp at all but still very transparent and open. That comes with a lot of air and liquidity. It resolves tiny details but does not give an analytic impression. The sound stage has an enormous size. The most iintriquing ability is to sound tonally correct but also light and fast on the feet. Tonal colors are fleshed out but do not give the impression to be from " material".
It is rather a see through quality that lets the tone exist without any obvious encavement and without boundary. Lighter then air, more like light but curiously not slim or threadbare. I would say it sounds simply very natural. We can expect some surprises.

Attachments

• Santos I:U in system.jpg
    Santos I:U in system.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 331
This Santos I/U is different from all transimpedance stages i heard, no, make that from all stages i heard. At first it struck me that the sound was not harsh or sharp at all but still very transparent and open. That comes with a lot of air and liquidity. It resolves tiny details but does not give an analytic impression. The sound stage has an enormous size. The most iintriquing ability is to sound tonally correct but also light and fast on the feet. Tonal colors are fleshed out but do not give the impression to be from " material".
It is rather a see through quality that lets the tone exist without any obvious encavement and without boundary. Lighter then air, more like light but curiously not slim or threadbare. I would say it sounds simply very natural. We can expect some surprises.

Ok. now you make me with more desire to construct my one. :)
But i have so many circuits that i dont know were to start.
I think im going to try first my original circuit.

Last edited:
I have now put the Santos I/U into my system as phono MC pre-pre. Noise is very low and gain is good. As MM stage i use my House RIAA, i called it that way because it should never leave the house as other stages do.
Impressions are very favorable. I have heard and made many transimpedance stages like the Nobrainer, Rosi, The Grail, Aquox and even a balanced version that was the MPP2010.
Usually they major in what is known as "PRAT factor", that is power, rhythm, attack.
They can sound a little over damped and not as fluid as a Fet or tube stage though.

Joachim, which version did you build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.