• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My "build" - unbalanced direct out. I am planninng on replacing the toroid with an r-core transformer. The DAC seems to be very sensitive to power line influences. When I switch the bathroom lights the DAC looses the lock for a second. USB only so far.

The sound is an improvement compared to the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II which I was listening with for a year now. A very noticeable improvement in bass.

I have never lost lock due to switching lights.
I do have a power conditioner (one of those Monster Cable types) and all the wiring in the house is 3-wire with earth.

I see you have an EMI filter, so the lines are already decoupled to ground.

My "build" - unbalanced direct out. I am planninng on replacing the toroid with an r-core transformer. The DAC seems to be very sensitive to power line influences. When I switch the bathroom lights the DAC looses the lock for a second. USB only so far.

I never lose lock, usb only (knock on wood). House is relatively new as houses go, around 40 years old, so I think my power lines inside are reasonable.

I am using two 6.3v split bobbin transformers (I had them around), and each one is connected to a "felix", which consists of a set of x caps, a common mode choke and another set of x caps. I plug this into another power conditioner, so my power should be pretty clean.

I'm pretty sure you torroid is big enough ;)
How many VA is that thing?

BTW, what are you using for an output stage?
Did you change your output to single ended?

I installed a pair of LL1684's a few days ago, they sound pretty nice, pretty sure they are going to stay.

Randy

Hi quanghao,

I received DAC thank you.There isn't any cosmetic problem .

But i couldn't see opamps and any Input and output connectors ??

Amanero unassembled.

I paid extra 180$ for them am i wrong?

Thank you

Hi quanghao said to me extra 180 $ is not include opamps,connectors,assambling .He said 180 dolar just for fedex :

"Hi,
You have to register to buy the following items:
- Kit DAC: 01
- Kit IV: 01
- Chassis: 01
- Tranformer: 01
- USB: 01
Total amount of goods: 750USD
Shipping by Fedex: $180

You have to pay me respectively:
- Paid 1: 375 usd (on 03/15/2013)
- Paid 2: 375 usd (on 05/06/2013)
- Paid 3: 150 usd (on 06/17/2013)
- Paid 4: 30usd (on 06/20/2013)

I think maybe we have a complete misunderstanding of the DAC."

So other buyers must be careful about this issue.

Last edited:
I never lose lock, usb only (knock on wood). House is relatively new as houses go, around 40 years old, so I think my power lines inside are reasonable.

I am using two 6.3v split bobbin transformers (I had them around), and each one is connected to a "felix", which consists of a set of x caps, a common mode choke and another set of x caps. I plug this into another power conditioner, so my power should be pretty clean.

I'm pretty sure you torroid is big enough ;)
How many VA is that thing?

BTW, what are you using for an output stage?
Did you change your output to single ended?

I installed a pair of LL1684's a few days ago, they sound pretty nice, pretty sure they are going to stay.

Randy

The toroid is specified with 50VA - 2x6.0V/4.17A.

Yes, I am using the single ended output configuration now. Set output to unbalanced with the remote and removed the jumpers J5,J8,J7,J6. Shorted the DAC+ and DAC-. No tear down resistor (10R) yet - I will try that today.

I plan to build the Sen V18 as I/V stage. The FETs are on their way.

Felix? What are x caps?

SEN IV V18

x caps are capacitors that are used to put between the live and neutral of the mains AC, in case of failure they don't short.

Where can I find some more information about the Sen V18 as I/V stage?

Regards,
Danny

Thanks.

The above mentioned thread is the place to look. V18 refers to the version of the SEN designed for the ES9018.

The original article from Linear Audio http://www.linearaudio.net/images/onlinearticlesPDF/didden-la -vol2euvl.pdf

Attached the schematics of the V18 version that I have found.

The group buy thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/196585-sen-cen-all-jfet-iv-converter-evaluation-pack.html

Attachments

• 272480-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-sen-iv-es9018-schematics.jpg
    272480-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-sen-iv-es9018-schematics.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 394
  • 272694d1332159173-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-es9018-sen-iv.png
    272694d1332159173-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-es9018-sen-iv.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 272695-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-sen-iv-v18-schematics.png
    272695-zen-cen-sen-evolution-minimalistic-iv-converter-sen-iv-v18-schematics.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 330
- You can only remove the jumper "3.3USB" on the board. The Amanero will not be powered longer when the DAC is turned on.

My question was perhaps misleading.

I want to move the Amanero module away from the DAC. So I will have to wire the connection instead of using the plug. Now I am wondering which pins will have to be wired between the DAC and the Amanero. I do power the Amanero from the DAC supply so GND and 3.3V are known.

Hi randytsuch,

Were you using USB only?
Mine also OK 44.1kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz and DSD with JRiver on Win7 via USB but no luck via coaxial anything above 48kHz.

Ever get this working?

I am asking because I just added optical input to my DACEND, and it works at 96kHz for me, I haven't tried anything higher yet, but 96 sounds good.

Source is still a macbook running jriver for mac.

Randy

I am asking because I just added optical input to my DACEND, and it works at 96kHz for me, I haven't tried anything higher yet, but 96 sounds good.Randy

Source : CD transport, Inputs : Coax. or Opt. or AES/EBU.
44.1 : OK

Source : SqueezeBox Touch, Inputs : Coax. or Opt. or AES/EBU.
48.0 : KO :mad:
88.2 : KO :mad:
96.0 : KO :mad:
192.0 : KO :mad:

Source : Aston Wamba tuner, Inputs : Coax. or AES/EBU.

Source USB : Not yet try but it seems that there is a problem because this input is very noisy without signal. :mad:

Volume control : impossible to shut down completely, at 1% level remains at demonstration stage. :mad:

No muting on I/V outputs when turning On/Off : Could be dangerous for loudspeakers... :mad:

I am quite disapointed by this "Reference DAC"... :eek:

Last edited:
Source : CD transport, Inputs : Coax. or Opt. or AES/EBU.

Source : SqueezeBox Touch, Inputs : Coax. or Opt. or AES/EBU.
88.2 : KO :mad:
96.0 : KO :mad:
192.0 : KO :mad:

Source : Aston Wamba tuner, Inputs : Coax. or AES/EBU.

Source USB : Not yet try but it seems that there is a problem because this input is very noisy without signal. :mad:

Volume control : impossible to shut down completely, at 1% level remains at demonstration stage. :mad:

I am quite disapointed by this "Reference DAC"... :eek:

Are you sure that SqueezeBox Touch have a spdif working at 96 and 192KHz ?

Are you sure to enable spdif at 48KHz on Aston Wamba tuner ?

Try USB input

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.