• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

DAC-END R (ES9018) full assembled board - version 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you mean rPi USB output --> Amanero USB decoder --> ES9018,
then yes. All you need is a music player application on the rPi which can output DSD-over-PCM (DoP). The Amanero detects incoming DoP, then "unwraps" the DoP signal and presents it to the ES9018 as DSD I2S.

But if you mean rPi I2S output --> ES9018
then no, not yet. The most important requirement is an I2S audio driver which can pass true DSD instead of PCM. The only such driver is presently being developed for the Beaglebone Black by forum member miero. It's feasible that his driver source code will compile for the rPi, we will need to wait and see.
If it hasn't been mentioned before, the BBB I2S project (being discussed elsewhere on the forum) is technically superior to any rPi I2S solution.

Question: But which sound device does the Es9018 then present to computer, if any? When i plug the amanero to the rPi there the amanero is the sound card. But what is, when i have no "card" between the rPi and the DAC?

I'm a little afraid of connecting because of destroying the DAC.

Thanks
Juergen
EDIT: I didn't understand your question at first. When you connect the rpi by means of I2S to your DAC than the rpi will become the soundcard. But since the pri has no 44.1K (and family) clock, it must use fractional clock dividers get the right frequency. This effects the sound quality in a bad way. So i'll stick with my comment here below. :)

Installl the Amanero drivers on your computer and plug it directly to your DAC. Than the computer will see the DAC (Amanero) as a soundcard. I use Foobar with some ASIO drivers to bypass the windows sound sh*t. For DSD I use the super adio cd decoder plugin for Foobar.
You'll be amased how good the DAC sounds with this setup. No need to worry about noise comming from your computer, because the Amanero is isolated from the DAC circuit.

Last edited:
Sorry to ask a newbie question.

What is rPi ?

I can't wait for the third batch so I bought a MUSOUND LKS (with dual ESS9018) which also use Amanero.

I install the Amanero driver on my XP computer, Foobar, ASIO Support component, then super audio cd decoder component (for XP), configure DSD on ASIO and I am set.

Is there any alternate path or additional setting for the Foobar and the Amanero ? please let me know.

The LKS DAC use opamp as the output. (Use OPA1612 for both the IV and the buffer afterwards) sound quite stiff to me. Maybe all the component are still branch new and need some break in time.

I experience music drop out from time to time when I play DSD128 files through the Amanero. I then go to the Foobar preference - playback - output. I increase the buffer size (some random select amount). The drop out goes away.

I hope to try out Quanghao DAC with transformer soon.

If you mean rPi USB output --> Amanero USB decoder --> ES9018,
then yes. All you need is a music player application on the rPi which can output DSD-over-PCM (DoP). The Amanero detects incoming DoP, then "unwraps" the DoP signal and presents it to the ES9018 as DSD I2S.

But if you mean rPi I2S output --> ES9018
then no, not yet. The most important requirement is an I2S audio driver which can pass true DSD instead of PCM. The only such driver is presently being developed for the Beaglebone Black by forum member miero. It's feasible that his driver source code will compile for the rPi, we will need to wait and see.
If it hasn't been mentioned before, the BBB I2S project (being discussed elsewhere on the forum) is technically superior to any rPi I2S solution.

Thanks
I knew he was working on a BBB version, just wanted to make sure there was not rPi version.
I have ordered both the BBB and rPi, but the BBB will probably wait until Russ/Twisted Pear offer their BBB card, to fix the 44.1k clocking issue.

Randy

Hi Quanghao,

Over a month ago I entered a post (#711) asking you to calculate my final payment (including shipping) so I could send it to you and you would be able to send my order. I also sent you a PM. You have not responded to me. When you be able to respond?

Sincerely,

Mitchell Saywitz (msaywitz

Hi all,

@ Corpius: my first question was not correct. But i corrected it a few posts later.
The problem is that the rPi is not fast enough to provide output over usb even in 44kHz. There are many dropouts. This i do not understand because to other usb soundcards all is good until 96kHz.

In the meanwhile i ordered a hifiberry digi which does the conversion from rPi i2s to s/pdif. I just haven't got it. I will try.
But in the future it would be nice not to do this further conversion.

In my previus install I have the hifiberry soundcard over i2s and all is perfect. So i hope that it is possible to get a connection the same way to the es9018. I do not use DSD.

But i want to correct you. Not the rPi is the soundcard. The Amanero or all other usb soundcards or i2s soundcards are the soundcard for the computer.

@linuxfan: I think therefore the correct driver modules loaded, the DAC-end R es9018 chip should come up as sound device.
Do you know the modules?

I do not use sh*t Windows to play.

greets
Juergen

linuxfan: I think therefore the correct driver modules loaded, the DAC-end R es9018 chip should come up as sound device.
Not exactly. Corpius is correct, but let me elaborate: there's no "logic handshake" between rPi and ES9018, the rPi is just sending out I2S. It cannot detect what's at the receiving end.
The audio hardware that the rPi "sees" is its own Broadcom SoC's I2S internals. Thus the relevant drivers relate to this ... which leads to your next question -

Do you know the modules?
As explained by Russ White here -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/250583-building-open-embedded-audio-applicance.html#post3806457

snd_soc_bcm2708
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd-soc-pcm1794a
snd_soc_rpi_dac

The snd-soc-pcm1794a module relates to the associated DAC, ostensibly a PCM1794A, but Russ is feeding I2S to his Buffalo ES9018. It's clear that this module is somewhat generic, and can probably be substituted with alternative DAC-related I2S modules, such as snd_soc_pcm5102a or snd_soc_hifiberry_dac.

In post 781 I was referring to DSD I2S. Conventional PCM I2S works fine with existing drivers. Several forum members are using rPi direct (PCM) I2S to DAC right now.

What is the point of having Amanero if I2S can be provided without it?
It's simply a question of which hardware is state-of-the-art at any given point in time. Direct I2S is the current "cutting edge", and is very new. Prior to this, high quality asynchronous USB audio decoders were state of the art. Prior to that, high quality PCI sound cards were state of the art.

I wouldn't discount the Amanero altogether, especially with ver 2 of DAC-END-R, since this includes full electronic isolation from USB to DAC.

I wouldn't discount the Amanero altogether, especially with ver 2 of DAC-END-R, since this includes full electronic isolation from USB to DAC.
I Agree. We've done several test where we compared the rpi with the Amanero and the UDOO. The Amanero definitely performs best. The UDOO wth I2s out is also very good with some simple modifications. The rpi in with I2S out just doesn't sound right to us, no matter what we tried. This is, in our opinion, most probably due to the fact that it has no 44.1K (and family) clock. The rpi in with USB out has lots of potential if it wasn't for the dropouts. We've not compared to the bbb yet.

EDIT: Please note that we did not use the DAC-END v2 with the tests, but a ES9018 based DAC designed by an acquaintance of mine. His DAC is currently still under development and will be aimed at the recording studio business.

Last edited:
Folks,

Can I make a polite request? Would it be possible to create a new thread for interfacing this DAC with Linux/rPI/BBB etc?

The reason I ask is it's going to become tough for the folks who are purchasing/figuring out the logistics/waiting for the DACs to follow if this thread forks into a how to hook up so and so thread and it adds another 200 posts.

Keep it under Quanghao Audio Design and even reference this new DAC in the title so it's easy to find. Perhaps the mods could move the hook up related posts over to the new thread.

Not trying to discourage, just trying to keep things clean so those of use who are purchasing can keep track of status.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

One thing we should have done for the original buy, but never did, was to make a separate build/support thread.
Yes, good idea.

Would it be possible to create a new thread for interfacing this DAC with Linux/rPI/BBB etc?
There's already such a thread on this forum -
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/250583-building-open-embedded-audio-applicance.html
This is where the inititiative started, and I think credit should be given where credit is due.
Although some of the discussion is focussed on a competing product, the basics of direct I2S output from an embedded computer are common to all DACs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.