DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

okay i got it working detailed but not so musical
caps out-5670 cathode follower-tripath...sounding a bit thin but should improve greatly with burn in.

That's how i would describe mine at first switch on.
I've had it on continuous for four days and it's now quite laid back and the bass seems to be getting stronger.

I have had no problems with taking the output straight from the DAC into a tube stage. Not much help i'm afraid.
Can you try something else through the cathode follower?

yeah and im using jan 5670w which is very thin but detailed hahah
and it works really well with other sources.
i'll probably try 12au7 anode follower with a bit of gain before cathode follower-to get it more smooth and dynamic..but thats not the main problem, i just noticed noise issue and i cant believe it, its grounded properly,yet it's almost unlistenable :(
but i dont get it...could regulators be so noisy? highly unlikely...its battery powered so PSU isnt a issue here...
also4.3uF ASC cap works really well with this dac(details impress the most, and i havent even bypassed it yet with PIO or MKT1837)
this gets me thinking to get an passive eq/tone control :(
so, once again music is less interesting and unforgiving of poor mastering.
p,s. dac seems to shine with 96KHZ upsampling - tried it with foobar and bass increased ridiculously and so did highs :)

Hot Running

On my DAC kit .. a non-assembled version.. it says

" MINI2496: Just use a dual-AC13-15V power supply and a set of AC9-15V single power supply. Can also short the PCB on the back of the two pads, so a dual-AC13-15V power supply can work. Reduces power requirements. Transformer can be greater than 10 watts." (This is an exact copy of the translated material.

I am wondering if there is any relationship between overheating and dropping the 9V input in favor of the dual AC13-15V? I can see the simplicity gained but perhaps the voltage drop is causing:confused: the overheating. Can anyone comment on their experiences with both forms of power connection?
Also, the wattage rating for the transformers supplied for the assembled kits is 30VA. This seems pretty safe considering that 10VA or more is suggested.

George

okay so, my conclusion is this dac is a stellar performer, such focus, power and speed with incredible details has to be heard....for 40$ :D
okay so i've got single 12V battery, mix of oscons(for supply) and tantalums(filter especially),one FC,siemens(epcos) sikorel, silmic for analog supplies and direct cap out mode and currently developing pcb for crc -lm317-c-7812-C(all bypassed with ceramic or mkt/mkp) with a total of 10 000uF directly to lm1117s...lm317 has mighty PSRR for 50hz and upto khz and 7812 deals better with higher harmonics :)

Component numbering

Clave, just wondering where the component numbers in your BOM come from?

My board (i got the kit) doesn't have numbers (C22, C23 etc...). I can probably figure things out but it's going to be much easier matching up your numbers with components on the board.

Did anyone else get the kit from zoe_tsang without any screw terminals supplied??