DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I tried Nichicon FW (which I like better in analog circuits [but could be wrong in this instance -perhaps I should have tried KZ??]) in the location of C32 and C33. Sadly it was a very bad sound -flat lifeless and slow (sorry!!:scratch:).

Not strange at all, FWs are a good stepup from standard elcos but nothing special in absolute terms.

FWs are pretty good if very high value and voltage rating.

I then tried Oscon 47uf in C32 and C33, and it was too bright, not enough bass and a bit normal and boring sounding.

I then went back to 470uF oscon SEPC and found the very nice sound again.

Exactly what I've experienced with SCs/SAs, it could be that SEPC are better.

If they were still in production BlackGates woudl be perfect, probably; Cerafines are good substitutes.

C32 (Analog supply) and C33 (VRef) are different, probably C33 can be as low as 10uF-47uF but C32 should be bigger, i thought 47-100uF would be enough but probably 100-220uF is better.

Also for C33 noise performance is critical, C32 gives 'tone' so better audiograde.

I have not yet tried changing the Vref capacitor. Because, to be honest 470uF sounds very good.
I can try a 47uf or 33uf oscon here. I don't have any 10uf oscons.

Do you mean VCom?

Here I would try a Cerafine.

I might just add that I also bypass this 470uf Oscon with 220nf PPS capacitor.
Bypassing makes all the difference with much smoother HF and a more rich sounding midrange.

Too me this sounds as a audiograde cap is needed...

Btw for now all these could be speculations... I will report when dac arrives.

Attached are three shoots from my SACD player: before, tried Oscons, after (only Vref Oscons survived)

Attachments

• IMGP2875.JPG
    IMGP2875.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 2,910
  • IMGP2952.JPG
    IMGP2952.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,856
  • IMGP3295.JPG
    IMGP3295.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,783
Last edited:
I bought one of these a while ago, I've had it for a couple of days and it's built.

The build was very straightforward, I used the included components, because of the numbers tallying with the spaces on the board there was little likelihood of a mistake. I liked the fact that there was a socket provided for the opamp, although I have no particular complaint with the NE5532.

I have tried the DAC with a number of sources, probably the one with the best reputation is my soundcard, an M-Audio Delta 2496, I have a choice of players including Foobar and Cubase with kernel and ASIO drivers, the OS is XP. The DAC just worked, no problems. It's very good value at about UKP20 shipped.

I have listened with a variety of amps, a homebrew TPA6120, cmoy with a few different opamps, Behringer mixer, I found little to distinguish the DAC from the many sources I have here including the DVD and BluRay players, the soundcard audio output, various portable CDPs and MP3 players. Fostex 8-track.

About the only complaint, I would have preferred a socket for the SPDIF input, RCA or better 75ohm BNC, but it's not a big deal, I stick to short cables, most of my material is 44k1 so I have no concerns about reflections in the cable.

All-in-all a cheap bit of fun that I'd recommend to anyone with soldering skills.

9+

w

I found little to distinguish the DAC from the many sources I have here

With stock standard parts its will sound like everything else. Which goes to show that for the price its a good thing. A reduction in grain and sibilance, and an increase in clarity and depth can be obtained by installing better capacitors.

Its a good thing that you built the kit standard, because when you get around to it you will now be able to swap out some caps and hear the difference for yourself. Glad you like it.

I bought one of these a while ago, I've had it for a couple of days and it's built.

The build was very straightforward, I used the included components, because of the numbers tallying with the spaces on the board there was little likelihood of a mistake.

All-in-all a cheap bit of fun that I'd recommend to anyone with soldering skills.

9+

w

so sound good for price, in stock form, thanks.

I am unclear on how to power this, do I need a separate DC PS/wallwart?, has optical input I assume (will connect to my PC) and can use my t-amp clone to power thru RCA output?, sorry for the newbie question on this DAC.

You need one or two transformer that will output (AC 15-0-15 and 0-9 Volts)
(Or 12-0-12 and 0-9 volts). Some of the ebay sellers supply transformers or buy them locally. You will need to buy an optical receiver separately if you want to use toslink. The optical recievers have 3 pins: Vin, gnd, and data.
Vin is either 3.3v or 5V depending upon which one you buy, you then connect Vin to the appropriate point on the circuit to get the power, gnd and data to the SPDIF input.

check out the optical receiver datasheet here.
Connections are per datasheet. You don't strictly need to use the inductor to get it to work...

http://www.datasheetarchive.com/TORX173-datasheet.html

Last edited:
hello everyone!
im wondering if i could just use two 12VAC trafos not the simmetric 12-0-12 one as i dont need opamp and have couple of 12vac trafos lying around...so i'd simply connect rectified 12VDC to plus instead of using kbp206 and ground the minus?

as far as i understand only negative voltage is needed for opamps, so i wouldnt use c25 and 7912 at all....
please correct me if im wrong!

oh and i'll be building 48V aikido and i'll be taking signal directly from chip through caps.. i hope it will sound good indeed.

thanks a lot!

stormsonic, thanks.

As far as transformers are concerned, I bought the one for 0-15 0-15, but the 9v came from a disused wall-wart, of which I have over 20 collected over time from modems, routers, computer speakers, CDPs etc. It's worth having a look to see if you've got anything suitable.

As regards connecting 2 to the 15-0-15, you need to be sure that you connect the phases correctly, which would be easier if you have 2 identical ones. You could also connect rectified DC direct to the regulators, but I don't suggest you do either unless you are absolutely certain you know what you're doing.

w

erin;2524643 Funny thing is just how hot all the capacitors get. I think it needs a lot more than the supplied 1800uf reservoir capacitors. I intend to build an off board power supply with more capacitance for it. [/QUOTE said:
Capacitors tendto get hot if:
1/ Voltage is too high.
2/ Surge current is too high.
3/ Capacitor is next to another component that gets hot.

This needs some investigation to get to the bottom of the problem.

AKM 4396 fully built dac board

Guys -
A very interesting read. :)
I have had in my posession (these past six weeks) one AKM4396 equip'd dac board purchased from China via Ebay. The pcb came populated, all I did was connect 12-0-12v and 0-15v power / elec spdif / and line out R+L.

Initially, I used it as was - other than burn it in over some 4 days or so. Stock NE5532 installed on ouput stage.
I was completely staggered by the sound quality of this dac ! (I use Stax electroststic headspkrs).
I then substituted AD797's for the output...an now have the BB opa627 installed.
These changes brought a smoother sound overall to the proceedings.
I've experienced incremental improvements when dealing with power supplies / clocks / paper in oil mundorf's for output cap coupling - but NEVER have I heard such detail retrieval as this before.
Not too long back, I took it to a mate's house an compared it to his TDA1541 twin S2 built dac (which to date has held it's own against many contenders).
The AKM 4396 showed it could retrieve more detail. :p

I love acoustic guitar, and played one particular cd (on the stax 'phones) which, although recorded extremely well I never really connected with the composition.
Well FMS....on playing this disk I could now (seemingly, as good as) 'See' the strings being played...an how the guitarist changed pressure on playing the fret board. Also, it just make me appreciate even more the production work that goes into making these recordings.
This dac, without a doubt, is a steal at £40 ! :nod:

I have just seen a kit pcb with said dac incorporated, so I'll prob get that an furnish it with teddy Regs /Hynes design regs an do the cap mods as advised in this thread. :smash:

Thanks to all for their input so far & happy listening !
-Andy- :cheers:

AKM 4396 Versus "?"

Has anyone here made a comparison between their homebrew AKM chipset and any of the following..?

Audio gd 7.1 Ref
Young Dac
Calyx dac
Wyred 4 sound dac (1 or 2)
Antelope dac

Would be interested to know what your findings were and to get an understanding where the 4396 stands relative to current commercial designs

Thanks.:)

Has anyone here made a comparison between their homebrew AKM chipset and any of the following..?

Wyred 4 sound dac (1 or 2)

Would be interested to know what your findings were and to get an understanding where the 4396 stands relative to current commercial designs

Thanks.:)

You should check out post #80 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...c-kit-cs8416-ak4393-5532-a-8.html#post2574664 of this thread where I did a brief AB against the Wyred4sound DAC1.

Lets not have any misunderstandings though. IMO, the ES9018 is a way better chip as far as detail retrieval, dynamics, bass depth and punch. When you can get a ES9018 DAC kit for $37 someone let me know.

Last edited:
YohY, any chance you can let us know which TDA1541 board was used in this comparison? Is it the raindrop_hui board from ebay?

Erin -

I'm sure it's not that pcb as found on ebay. He had it in a group buy on the DIYaudio forum as I recall. He's not taken it to tube'd output as of yet an is running it with the OPA627 chip. He does have a number of separate pwr supplies running the board tho, even to the extent of using dedicated supply to the 627 opamp.

Yeah, I did read your piece on the W4S dac comparison (forgot about that).
I've now got the Audio gd 7.1 ref & Calyx dac to compare with now, so I'll be drawing my own conclusions on that. I have heard that the 'Antelope dac' is very good but is in a higher price bracket.
Audio gd & calyx dac are both priced at -£1500.
I'll need a lot of persuasion to prise that amount outta my hands after hearing what the AKM4396 can do...
Cheers,
-Andy-

AK4393 vs AK4396 preliminary listening comparison

My friends AK4396 board finally arrived so I had a listen to it tonight.
It is a pre-assembled board running stock capacitors as supplied by the ebay seller. Its sounds very good, perhaps I could say excellent considering its price. Stock standard it would be giving some "expensive brand name CD players" a run for their money.

Compared to my modded AK4393 board, the AK4396 board was not as good, it was not as smooth or refined sounding. I'm not going to give a detailed "review" because it was immediately pretty obvious after swapping DACs and playing the same song that the AK4393 board was better overall.

This is clearly not an apples for apples comparison. So no need for anyone to jump the gun. He will be upgrading the caps over the next week or so. After this we can do another comparison under more fair circumstances.

All the mods I have previously suggested are very good and yield very substantial improvements over the stock board.

Last edited: