Da-capo issue (John W?)

Hi Steven,

If the Batteries in the DC are in good condition, there no other known “lifetime issue” with the Dacapo / DC. That said, while GBP200 might reasonable in the UK considering Labour and Parts Costs, its slightly under half the projected cost of the New Dacapo which is vastly more capable unit (~GBP500).

I lost track of my Dacapo over the years, then a couple of years ago I was re-introduced to the Dacapo once again, as a result of having to repair a Capacitor damaged unit.

After repairs I unexpectedly had the opportunity to listen to the Dacapo with friends (Who had brought around there own “Modern DAC’s) – almost half embarrassed, expecting to be blown away by today’s DAC offerings – and yes I was blown away – not by today’s design – but how the Dacapo truly annihilated “Today’s” design – Dacapo design roots date back to 1990 / 1991.

After these listening sessions, I bought a Dacapo / DC / Cardinal of EBay as a reference for future designs (It’s a strange feeling having to buy your own product).

The original intention was to design a new filter module, however during the course of the development, the limitation of the Original Dacapo design became an all too limiting factor – so while the filter module project did not see the light of day for original Dacapo – Dacapo Generation 2 was born.

I still have my original Dacapo, however the new design is so much better that – yes now I’m almost embarrassed…

So I strongly recommend saving you money and waiting for the new design, Pilot production run units around June…

The new Dacapo is fully user upgradeable & therefore future proof (as the original design), and can support DSD, sampling rates to 384 KHz (DXD), offers USB Audio support, and much more….

I guarantee that you will not be heartbroken and you will once again “hear and feel the effects of DACAPO” – however beyond what you believed could be possible.

The strange thing about Dacapo is that you can “hear and feel the effects of DACAPO” even when listening though cheap Bose PC speakers ???

JohnW

Dacapo to repair or not to repair?

Hi JohnW,
Many thank's for your swift reply, i'm sure you must be very busy. I am very interested and excited to hear that Dacapo2 may soon be a reality, would it be possible to contact you off thread to discuss further? Also i tried to attach photos of my Dacapo board on the last thread but, for some reason they did not appear. I would really like your second opinion on the damage(if it is easily repairable) in case i still decide to have it repaired. I know June is not far away, but, it is very difficult to go back to listening to Ordinal after Dacapo, especially with the 18bit filter, rather than the HDCD. I have tried to put the HDCD in ordinal but, i do not know the different dip switch settings.
Even if i do decide the repair route, you must know that i am still very, very interested in Dacapo2.
I look forward to your reply,
Kind regards, Steven.

Hi John W,

I have a da capo, DC and cardinal which has been repaired/services by Pink Triangle before they went out of business, however I have one channel down and I have not used the unit for some time. I am reading with interest about your da capo 2, is it an upgrade or a new unit?
As you replied the cost to repair my unit may be out-way'd by the cost /benefits of the new unit.

What is the spec of the Da Capo 2?

Thanks

Hi Terry (and all),

As you have lost one channel – this is typical of an electrolyte damaged PCB (electrolyte having eaten the copper PSU traces). The repair is simple in electrical terms - just remove the capacitors, thoroughly clean the PCB & repair the damaged copper PCB tracks & Vias and then replace with new capacitors.

For a keen hobbyist this would be an evening’s work, however it involves a few hours labour, and the PCB while repaired will be cosmetically damaged & in poor condition – I would be more the happy to offer help / advice via the phone to anybody who might wish to attempt the repair – just Email for my contact details.

The new Dacapo is a totally different beast – while the DAC sections are still fully discrete, as the world first in the original Pink triangle Dacapo which consisted of two DAC sections per channel, the new Dacapo has 64 per channel – a total of 128 DAC’s per unit.

“Supported” Specifications - which I’m prepared to tantalize you with now :)

1 Balanced AES / SPDIF input

5 BNC selectable Digital Inputs (SPDIF / DXD / DSD64 & DSD128. Note: - DSD and DXD require 2 inputs)

1 BNC Output (SPDIF / CLOCK / AES Black) Selectable 500mV / 5V output

4 Toslink Optical Inputs (SPDIF / DXD / DSD64 & DSD128. DSD and DXD require 2 inputs)

2 Toslink Selectable Optical Outputs (SPDIF / CLOCK / AES Black)

USB Audio streaming (Bit accurate to 48 KHz & 24 Bits)

3.5mm Optical / Electrical remote input (with 12Vdc Ext power)
3.5mm Optical Remote output

Class A Single Ended and Balanced audio outputs.
Class A Headphone output

Relay switched attenuator / Balance control, with 0dB Direct bypass (unit can be used as Digital Pre Amplifier – no analogue inputs)

Balanced 64 Discrete DAC’s per channel

DSD 64 & 128 Direct mode / DSD upsampled mode (When the DAC’s attenuator is used then only DSD upsampled mode is available in DSD Mode).

Ultra low phase noise Digital controlled “Rubber band” VCXO clock recovery

Directly supported native sampling rates (No Asynchronies sample rate conversion) 32KHz, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz, 352.8KHz(DXD), 384KHz (DXD), DSD 64 & DSD128

Full VFD graphics display

Remote control

Fully user upgradeable Digital architecture

Internal expansion slots for future hardware upgrades

The new Dacapo will be available in two “Cosmetic versions” one a standard 19” 1U rack mount unit (around GBP500) and a “Milled Heavy Aluminum” Premium version (about GBP850) – both have identical internal electronics and functions. The aim with the standard 19” version is to offer the cheapest possible unit while preserving the audio quality – but also offering a Premium cosmetic design.

19” Rack Version can be upgraded to the Premium version at any time.

To meet this very aggressive point, The units will be Internet sales – with 30days home trial.

JohnW

Questions re Da Capo

OK John, it worked, we are all getting excited:) Whilst we are waiting would you mind commenting on the following:

Toslink: I think I've seen you state before that this is the best solution for linking a transport to a DAC. However, you seem to be in a small minority on this. I'm told that in the computer world Toslink is known to be a lossy medium and I've seen plenty of digital hi fi technical gurus being totally dismissive of it. Care to comment?

Can you explain a bit more about the VCXO clock recovery feature; what is this/what benefits does it bring?

64 DACs per channel! I take it we are not talking Burr Brown/Wolfsen etc type DACs here. Can you tell us more about them?

Lastly, I have a name suggestion: Deux Capo. If you like it and use might I suggest a mighty discount as a reward for myself :nod:

Hi All,

Just running for a flight, but heres a quick reply about jumper settings:-

18, 20, 22 Bit & HDCD filters fit jumper 3 only (1 & 2 are not fitted)

1307 filter fit jumpers 1 & 2 – leaving 3 open

24 Bit, fit all jumpers

No harm can be done from incorrect jumper settings, just "White Noise" from the system if set incorrectly, (Just takecare with the volume control)

JohnW

HDCD filter settings?

Hi JohnW, on the HDCD filter the bottom left hand corner is open and has four switches, for use with my Dacapo it is set at: DITHER ON, SCALING INT, EQ 44K, - 16BIT. This is how it was set up when i purchased it. As you know from previous posts my Dacapo is not well at the moment, as a result i would like to use the HDCD filter in my Ordinal but, at these settings i have no playback! The jumpers, i believe, stay the same, as my Ordinal normally has an 18bit filter in it. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards, Steven.

Scubaboy,

I'm currently in Europe for Chinese New Year, my Dacapo's in China - however I believe the HDCD jumpers should be the same as the 18Bit.

Its strange that your having problems – I suggest trying once again – Failing that, try setting your filter to 24 Bit mode and set to all jumpers fitted – or fit jumpers 1 & 2 (sorry I don’t recall).

You can also set to Ext. scaling – this will give you 6dB increase in Dynamic range.

neep01,

Yes, some form of “chemical treatment” treatment would be a good idea – but I’m not sure what to recommend – I’m lucky that I can drop the boards into the cleaning tanks we have on the production line here (once the Caps have been removed).

It’s ok to wash the PCB well in water, then dry carefully with a hair dryer – I also use “Aerosol flux remover / cleaner” to clean the boards – they can be a real mess…

sq225917,

Thanks for your interest, sorry no website yet – wanted to put one up – but we don’t have pictures yet of the unit / PCB so not much to build a website with at this stage – I will post links here as soon as we are closer to release.

However my wife has posted some pictures of our life in China (well really it’s our DOGS Website :rolleyes: ) – as you see we bring our own live food with us (OK, sorry Bobby thats a really bad joke). I’m the thin very unhealthy looking one (sorry to shatter any conceptions) – but take a closer look at that food!

Picture of Life in China

loris.p,

I’ve received you Dacapo PCB. You did not send a filter module – so I cannot test / repair here in Europe – I will take it back with me to China to repair.

It’s a PCB I originally tested back in 1993 (has my initials on the PCB) – if I would have known then that 15 years later I would be taking it back to China to repair via Czech Rep… weird how life goes…

PCB looks well repaired – however I suspect that the problem well still be with an open PCB track – sadly the PCB is badly corroded.

JohnW

HDCD Filter Settings.

Hi John W, well, it would appear that nothing was wrong with the filter dip switch settings(thank's anyway for your suggestions) however i did change the scaling. I turned the unit on tonight and hey presto music! One track into The Police, audio started to break up, so i switched the unit off, whilst doing so i noticed a smell, then it registered, it was the capacitors again!!! Obviously the unit's tendancy to work on and off was down to the failing caps. I tried to power up again but, nothing...dead, so i can only assume the caps must have damaged a power rail or something.
Ah well, at least i was prepared for it this time and probably pushed my luck not having them changed sooner! Sad thing is, now, i don't have any tunes, so i think i am going to get Dacapo repaired but, i want you to know that i am still interested in Dacapo2 if you can add me to the list(if you're compiling?)
Thank's again,
Kind Regards, Steven.

p.s Prague for chinese new year?

Hi John

Some years ago I sent you an Ordinal DAC unit which you would give a look at. I had almost forgotten it...but now that I see this thread I remembered that is must probably still be somewhere in Czech Republic. Did you have a chance to repair it?

Many thanks, Erik

(from Eindhoven, the Netherlands)

Hi Erik,

A couple of years ago I received an Ordinal in the post loosely packaged in newspaper and with no sender details nor return address. At the time I had no idea where it had come from – with a badly smashed BNC socket protruding thru the carton box.

The unit is very badly damaged - the rear panel completely bent where it had been dropped onto the BNC connector - the crumpled Newspaper offering no protection to a unit of this weight.

Electrically I was able to get the unit working (with a different BNC input card as the PCB edge connector was also fractured) - however due to the physical damage to the Metal cassis work, I could not squeeze the unit back into the casing.

That was a couple years ago - since the unit has bee put into storage waiting for its owner to contact me - so I guess this must be your unit!

I would need to try and find this unit once again - however I recall putting it aside thinking there’s little chance of recovering the Casework / Input board, and as I had no idea where the unit had come from, and could not discuss with its owner – sorry for this sad news.

In fact after this instance, I always recommend that people only send there PCB’s to repair – to save on the chance of Casework damage.

JohnW