Da-capo issue (John W?)

Im looking forward to the Dacapo DAC (this is an understatement!), When i was 19 i bought a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 2 from Rchersounds, it was (and still is) one of the best purchases ive ever made, i just simply could not believe how real everything sounded, nothing has impressed as me much since.

I didnt get to hear a Dacapo until later, and i couldnt afford one at that time anyway.

Im not expecting the new Dacapo, to be the same revelatory experience as all them years ago (but one can hope).

The fact is ive just joined this forum, not for the DIY (although ive made a few speakers) but just to thank John Westlake for the years of enjoyment, his designs have brought me, Im lucky enough these days to work with musicians now and again, music is important to me, its had a large influence on the way ive lived my life and how creative ive been, John your creativity has put me close to some of the musicians ive admired, and will never meet, so thankyou, you are an artist.

Looking at the specs of the Dac, in a connection and facility's sense (not to mention the number of DACS!) it looks perfect, balanced, preamp etc, I hope its a massive success for you.

Jon.

John, could you elucidate on the inner working of the mini DAC please :)

Does it have the complex discrete arrangement like the new DaCapo or a single or twin DAC chip.

Can you supply it without a PSU so an enthusiasts currently redundant OTT PSU with 300VA Tx, 40,000uF, discrete reg's that they happen to have laying around could be employed? Or is the supplied PSU beyond improvement? Or would a different PSU adversely change the balanced sonic character that you've tuned it to have?

Thanks.

Wow - Thanks Jon, you really cheered me up, helps to make our daily efforts worthwhile - being in China it’s sometimes hard to keep ones enthusiasm going.

I've had a pretty bad week here; I had to make some very tough decisions...

But on the more positive note we have just issued to production the "Mini DAC" which will proceed the Gen 2 Dacapo - while its not as advance as the Dacapo - it will still be one of the VERY best DAC's at any price - easily out performing the original Dacapo.

USB to 96 KHz / 24Bits

SPDIF to 192 KHz via Optical, Coax or AES.

Balanced and Singled- Ended outputs

27 regulated supplies

Discrete Class A outputs

HQ Discrete Headphone output

Very Low Phase Noise Master clock

Organic Low ESR capacitors

Remote Control & LCD display

4 layer PCB

I really believe that the DAC will be ground breaking – nothing will compete anywhere near its price point – I was recently challenged by another manufacturer in a different forum – and I guess this will be my response ;) unfortunately I guess he never got to see the GBP129 DacMagic - mark my words, this will be double in price - but in a completely different performance league...

More information and pictures once the first units arrive from production.

IanAS,

Great length’s have been taken with the Dacapo Gen 2 PSU design – I would be interested to see if so massively enlarging the PSU would make any difference – however the design is very complex, and it would not be easy to add an external PSU as the Dacapo has many supply rails – such as high current / low voltage for the power hungry FPGA’s… it has something close to 30 regulated supply rails, many cascade to improve performance…

JohnW

Hi Loris,

I'm sure you will be VERY glad to know that your PCB has had full time Rat protection since it left Prague - seen here guarded at the Airport lounge in Prague....

:D

JohnW

Attachments

• loris dacapo.jpg
    loris dacapo.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 879
Hi Loris P,

I'm sorry I have bad news for you,

There is no problem with the capacitor rework - the PSU rails are OK - it looks like capacitor failure was not your original problem.

At some stage (maybe during the testing of your board after the capacitor rework, the digital filter was removed while the Dacapo was powered up - this destroyed one of the 74AC541 on the bus. I had high hope that’s this was the problem - but after replacing the damaged AC541 still no results.

I then found that the clock line within the Dacapo DAC section is shorted internally to ground (it can be probed from below the board) - as the DAC section is potted, there no way to repair - I guess this has always been your original problem.

I'm very sorry for this bad news,

JohnW

Hi Loris,

Do you have the Cardinal? if you do was the Dacapo fitted with the Clock Lock card (with Dual BNC's)?

If you only use the Dacapo with Cardinal, I could directly inject the clock into the DAC section - thereby isolating the non functioning PLL section under the potted box (the Clock tracks can be cut on the underside of the PCB).

This would also improve the Dacapo's performace - but would only allow the Dacapo to be used with Cardinal - I would need to also modify the Clock Lock Card which you could send to my HK office.

I would only need the Clock-Lock card that's inserted into the rear of the Dacapo - no modification are required to the Cardinal.

John

John, i thought Nelson was one of a kind with his attitude about not talking up his products. but here you are in China with a legacy product on your desk, willing to mod it to keep an old customer's system ticking away.

You are a Gentleman of the first order. ;)

if you want any help with copywriting (sic) when you are ready to start promoting things, let me know i'd be only too happy to pen to paper on your behalf.

sq225917,

Thanks for your kind words and offer - someday soon I might take you up on your offer...

Loris’s

I will only need your Re-clock card (not the Cardinal) - also Pls. send your Digital filter so I can test as a full working system - I will Email the HK address.

Also, as your Dacapo PCB will be heavily modified - would you also be interested in upgrading the OPAMP’s to a discrete Class A design used on my new products (FOC)? I have them fitted to my personal Dacapo for auditioning... these with the Clock modification makes a huge difference...

Just let me know... :D

John