Da-capo issue (John W?)

Ordinal Input board

Hi,
Does any have a spare Digital Input board for a PT Ordinal? Or know where I can source one?

My Ordinal is working fine:), but I would like to feed it with a second digital input (from a Squeezebox) and compare how this feed to one from a CD Transport.

Plus also have some 24bit/96KHz tracks (playing in 24bit/48kHz flac) and want to see have they sound through the PT.

Thanks,
Simon.

The Clock-Lock interface is optical based (the clock is outputted via Toslink). Via the front panel the user can select within a “range” any output clock frequency, permitting fixed synchronization between the MDAC’s internal modulator and external data source. The Clock-Lock frequency is generated via an internal PLL / Digital divider circuit. By insuring the Digital source is synchronized to the modulators clock, allows the internal DPLL to be set to an ultra low BW for greatest performance (Greatest Jitter Attenuation).

I primarily intended the Clock Lock interface to be used with possible future transports from AudioLab – but can be used with older CD transports from Arcam, DPA/ Deltec or the Cambridge Audio CDT I designed (if there are many left working) and possibly other brands I’m not currently aware of.

Any CD transport / Digital Data source that facilitates an external Toslink clock input within the frequency range of the PLL can be used.

I’m happy to publish circuits and possibly design and ship small PCB’s that Forum users can retrofitted to there CD players to allow clock-locking – resulting in “Perfect” digital transports from “any old CD player” that has a Bit accurate SPDIF Data output.

Hi John,

Any news on clock-lock circuit? Shematics will be fine...we do not expect from you to do all the hard work:D

PT Digital Input Card

Alternatively if no-one has a spare Digital Input Card for a PT DAC (Da-capo or Ordinal) does anyone have a non-working model that I can take the Digital Input Card from?

There was one recently on eBay that went for £11 - willing to match and cover shipping to Dublin, Ireland - of course.

Would like to get the second digital input in my still working Ordinal with 24-bit filter, operational and taking its feed from the Squeezebox.

Many thanks in advance.
Simon.

Cardinal Laser Assembly Replacement.

Hi John,
just a quick question. If a Cardinal had started having difficulties playing a disc(skipping etc) and had then been looked at by an audio engineer who may or may not have played around with the settings to try and rectify the problem but, to no avail and ultimately had given up trying without having schematics available, would you then say that the Cardinals life was OVER, DEAD, KAPUT!!! Or (as i am an incurable optimist) could it be resurrected with a new complete laser assembly just like the one that is currently listed on ebay?

Your thoughts?

Steven.

Hi Muz,

Did I miss you at the show? I was around...

Not sure why they are saying Oct, we have 300 Pcs on the production line as I type...

Sorry if we missed each other...

John

Hi John,

I wasn't at the show, it was Markus over on Pinkfish that had talked to one of the reps, i think maybe he only asked about the DAC and the not the CD player, you said in an earlier post the CD player was coming out first, is that what's on the production line not the DAC?

As it stands at the moment i cant see anything that has the functionality of your design for Audiolab (other than the Benchmark Dac and some Dacs i cant justify spending £2k+ on, unless it had the amp built in, see below).
Im still soldiering on with the new Dacmagic which for some reason works better in my system than the Benchmark did.
It'll be good to hear how your design stands in comparison to the to the little Dacmagic.

It was interesting to hear you talk about your own Class D amps experiments and how you thought it was one of the best amps you'd heard (i think it was in this thread, sorry if ive got mixed up!).
I was using Lyngdorf TDA amps before which are essentially power Dacs, into the right speaker they could sound very natural, not perfect, but showed a lot of promise.

I just wondered if this true digital amp/Power Dac is something your going to pursue in the future ?
Thanks for keeping me/everyone in the loop on what's going on with the Dac etc, and fingers crossed it will be out sooner rather than later!

Best, Jon.

Those of you who are having problems with the digital filter, have you checked to see if the blue wire solder joints are broken?

I just repaired a 24 bit filter with one wire that had detached from the chip pin.

I guess it must have been weakened during manufacture when stripping the wire sheath and over the years the small movement imparted by fitting the filter a few times onto the pins was enough to flex the wire and eventually break it.

With this case the filter had simply been removed and then refitted.

The broken wire in this case carried the SCLK. The symptom was that the Dacapo went from playing normally to not doing; no white noise or other sound.

Attachments

• 2009-08-31 DaCapo_00001.jpg
    2009-08-31 DaCapo_00001.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Moog, Its seems no one knows, not even Audiolab, i did email them but never got a reply maybe they are on holiday? ;)

Why they don't want release the MDAC in Europe/USA?

As John says in an earlier post, its seems they are concentrating on the Eastern market first by releasing the CD player. Seems a bit bonkers to me, as there are very many exciting new Async Dac/Preamps on the horizon, lets hope Audiolab dont miss the boat.

P1014597.jpg

If only this were £3000 less ;)

Interesting to see them releasing new amplifiers, M250 monoblocks sound interesting, wondering if they'll be Chip amps?

Last edited:
Hi John,
I am hoping you were Mr Pink Triangle and may be able to help me. My Litaural CD Player has given me fantastic service since I bought it in 1999 but has now developed its first fault. It trips out with a quiet click but sound track can still be heard faintly through the speakers. I am looking for someone who knows the product well enough to service it. Can you help please?