Da-capo issue (John W?)

The 1 Bit Noise shapers in the 7350 have many issues, which Philips tried to resolve (Or I should more correctly say hide) by adding "DC Dither", a fixed DC offset at about -30dB, once you drop below this level, you find a whole host of interesting spurie.

Despite the higher performance achieved by higher order NS, I personally prefer lower order - maybe why I like the sound of the 7350 NS despite its issues.

ESS solves the “audio fingerprint” of higher order NS, with there Hyper stream NS architecture (or what every they have christened it) – partly why ESS DAC’s sound superior to all “off the shelf” silicon I have tried.

John

john I noted on the 6moons review there's a shot of the inside of the Idecco showing the board with the Apple chip on it. It looks a different colour to the other pcb's, and identical in hue to the one inside my Wadia Itransport. What's the story, do Apple specify a specific PCB material or do you have to use their fab for that board?

do you by any chance know what will SAA7350 do with I2S input?
it is 3rd order modulator (without resonanses) with 1 bit end quantization designed to work with external SC DAC TDA1547 and DF SM5813\CXD1244, then for 1547 was developed TDA1037 (3-4order NS with build DF). SAA7350-TDA1547 was described in ieee journal of solid-state circuits in 1987-88years

Ordinal

Hi Jonh, I don't want to bug you more but:
I removed the dacapo ( now the noise is continuos) and pulled out my ordinal.
Well, it always worked but now...... noise from it too:mad:
I noticed that switching back and forth between the two inputs, (I have only one dic so I switchd between the input and "nothing") sometimes the noise disappeared from the locked signal. I only tryed for five minutes.
( it's not a caps issue because I slipped some small-slim paper strip under the caps and the board is completely dry)
Isn't it an issue of the device that swithches between the inputs?

Since my dacapo if definitely dead, I could send the board to you and you can do one good from two ( if you're not sure to succed in repairing the first one )?:)
Thanx again
Loris

ESS solves the “audio fingerprint” of higher order NS, with there Hyper stream NS architecture (or what every they have christened it) – partly why ESS DAC’s sound superior to all “off the shelf” silicon I have tried.

John

John
many are saying the ESS Sabre DAC is the best digital they have heard. What we want to know is just how much better do you reckon your own DAC is / will be (when it eventually comes out) ?

And what is your best estimate as to when it might become available?

cheers
Ian

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding, back in China, :( and already starving with the “fleeting" runs to the bathroom...

Hi Loris,

Did you set the jumpers correctly for the TDA1307 filter? (I cannot recall the settings without opening a unit) - But I would personally not bother anyway; I don’t like the sound of the TDA1307....

Hi Ian,

Yes I'm a very big fan of the ESS DAC's, Hats off to Dustin and the team for a great job. One of the great things about the ESS is the level of optimization that can be achieved - its benefits more then most when time is spent on the PSU's etc (I don’t wish to sound like a DIY tweaker here)... Having "Raw" voltage outputs is also a great benefit.

The lunch of the ESS DAC's caused a "shift" in the development direction of our FPGA based DAC's. One of the ESS's "weakness" is in a couple of "Digital" areas - that can be resolved with FPGA processing on the front end for the ABSOLUTE Hi-End, but for 99.999999999% of cases the ESS used with care is MORETHEN good enough - you really need to spend a great deal of time and money on the surrounding circuits before the ESS Digital internals become a designs limiting factor.

A review of our (Dominik and myself's) latest design using the Saber DAC,

6moons audio reviews: Peachtree Audio iDecco

Ill post a picture later (Once Renata returns HER camera :) ) of one of our latest designs in development using the ESS to get an idea of the level of external circuit detail required to squeeze the last ounce of performance from the ESS, not your average "Hi-Fi" design...

sq225917

You know the smell of "Pork Crackling" when you burn yourself with a soldering iron, well that would be the odor emanating from my private parts if I mention "ANYTHING" about the Apple Digital Doc - I might be "hard to control, and have a discipline problem" but lets just say, that when it comes to Apples legal team - I'm a good slave worker Ant who does nothing to step out of line... Nothing to see here Gentleman - Pls. move along...

John

Last edited: