Da-capo issue (John W?)

JohnW said:
If you want to replace your IsoMagic / DiscMagic I recommend the coming CD player which can also function as a DAC.

Its not to hard to modify most CD player to accept an external Clock – so you can still Clock Lock your IsoMagic – do you have a donor CD player? I can maybe draw you a circuit if I can find enough data on the CD player.

John

I have an IsoMagic DAC with a beefy outboard regulated power supply. I also have a spare IsoMagic, so I want to stay with that system. I'll try to get the transport repaired again when it craps out. If I can't I'll look into a clock-lock cct for another transport. Thanks John.

Hi Jon,

I'm happy to say it has a very nice Headphone Amp + Simple Line Level Pre AMP + Balanced outputs.

Betto,

Yes - has USB to 96Khz 24Bits.

Dan,

Better to give up on the Diskmagic - and add a clock-lock to a standard machine - you should find a CD player with 16.9344MHz Clock - and not a Philips based 11.2896MHz - I will help you with a simple Schematic.

John

Hi John, welcome back to the thread, and glad to hear that you still have a DAC coming. I can't wait.

On the subject of adding an external clock to a CD player, I have a streaming device (squeezebox 3) and have been wanting to do exactly that for a while now - originally using the DaCapo, but now with your new DAC.

Could you possibly help me out with this? If so, what data would you need?

All I know at the moment is that it rquires 3.3v and 11.2896 MHz. Looking at your previous comments I'm guessing this may not be the best start :(

indypants said:
All I know at the moment is that it rquires 3.3v and 11.2896 MHz. Looking at your previous comments I'm guessing this may not be the best start :(

I hope there is a simple solution with clock dividers/multipliers in order to send right clock to Philips transport/Squeezebox 3, but we (geeks with Philips transports) have to wait for John, especially me 'cos I've invested in few SAA7350 and PMD100 to get dual differential configuration advocated by the man himself. As per his suggestion elsewhere on this forum, I even designed discrete SMT version off AD797 with J-fet input (Philips BF862, thank you Mr. Wurcer) and hybrid super-shunt regulators with AD797 as error amplifier...And if I could get help in digital domain (it's not my cup of tee, I'm analog guy:D ) a trivial reason like different x-tal, hopefully, will not stop me.

DaCapo

Hi John,

I have a DaCapo and I know you have mentioned the nippon chemicon capacitors can leak. Is it a fair bet to say that if it hasnt happened yet its likely to be ok and its best to let sleeping DaCapos lie or just bite the bullet and replace the lot?. Thanks in advance.

Russel

Hi,

For the new DAC, Clock output at basically at any rate above say 2-3MHz is no problem - it features a basic programable DPLL for the ClockLock output - which by the way is Optical. The output clock rate can be selected from the front panel menu system.

Depending on time scales I can always design a small PCB with Optical RX - and buffer circuit to fit within a CD player or other devices.

I can add the PCB design to the edge of PCB's we have manufactured in China - there’s always spare space that gets discarded during manufacturing (the outer Frame, and other "cutout areas" - so the bare PCB's would be for free - I can also simply the optical RX - as they can be hard to source in small Qtys.

Just let me know what everyone needs (Voltage / frequency) - and I will see if I can design a common platform / PCB.

Russel,

All Dacapo PCB's I've seen have leaking Caps - so I suspect yours is as well - So you should change the Caps ASAP,

John

JohnW said:
Hi,

Russel,

All Dacapo PCB's I've seen have leaking Caps - so I suspect yours is as well - So you should change the Caps ASAP,

John

Thanks, Can I be cheeky and ask for a a BOM listing for the caps and a recomended manufacturer?. Also when is the new D2A on sale?, I guess there is a good chance of damaging the board it they have leaked and I may be in need of one.

Hi Loris P,

I believe your Dacapo Board's seems to be growing into the New DAC - Gosh - your going to have a hard time to put it into your old case - Oh well the cat will not loose its home....

But it does look nice!! - I can tell you how it sounds next week :)

John

Hi Loris,

The new DAC has a Full Display, Front panel Controls, Remote Control, Headphone jack, Balanced outputs, Analogue Inputs etc - It's a very different beast to the Dacapo.

I will send you a complete unit - (one of the early Prototypes built by me, once the design is cleared for release and we no longer need the early proto units) - For your valued Feedback :)

As your Dacapo PCB has failed under the potted section, there’s not much that can be done - so atleast the Cat can keep its new home.

Just been building up the PCB and testing the unit - its looking very good. TOTAL Master Clock Jitter 1.8pS at the DAC IC!! (After the complete clock distribution chain). Random Jitter is around 800fS - wideband, with one spurie component at around 34MHz this accounts for the other 1pS - although oddly I cannot see the component on a spectrum analyser - so it might be an "Idle Tone" or some kind of aliasing artefact within the WaveCrest system. I’m not very impressed with the WaveCrest – even though I have one of there most expensive units (Over US$200K), not the “cheaper” DTS units – if you’re in the habit of calling US$50K cheap…

Long Term clock drift (Ok, well over 24 hours) is hovering back and fourth around 0.5ppm!!! That’s a with no intentional temperature compensation – just a VERY NICE oscillator design.

Phase noise plots at LF are below what I can measure (it would appear limited by the Close-in Phase Noise of the WaveCrest / Spectrum Analysers I have).

The Analogue sections have a FFT noise floor below -160dBr - again limited by what I can measure with a balanced 2.4V output.

THD below system limits until loaded by a 50 Ohm resistor and at full output level!!! - And even then THD is below -120dB Ref. Full 2.5V RMS.

Measurements say VERY little about the sound quality (maybe apart from the Jitter Measurements – but that’s takes on a whole other “complex” dimension), Looking forward to listening (Dominik now needs to get the unit's software running)...

John

Would Ordinal work with DC?

Hello johnw,
would it be possible to modify an Ordinal to work with DC? My Dc unit has been sitting in it's box for the last 12 months(with brand new caps and batteries) since the demise of my Da capo. I still have the Da capo board(which i have been using for de soldering/soldering practice) which could be canabalised for bits. My Cardinal is going in for a service soon so, i could get the engineer to do the modification to my Ordinal at the same time if you think it would be straight forward. I look forward to hearing what you think.

thank's
Steven.