Cyburgs-Needle for Tangband W3-871S

I agree, and I've never got a subwoofer to fit perfectly to a TML, sealed or even br, no problem, but with TL's it can be quite difficult sometimes...

A side firing woofer would be a low-tuned 2-way speaker setup, so no need for a TL, unless you do want the woofer to make use of the TL off course.

Best place for the corssover; not in the speaker itself, in a nice heavy-gritt/sand filled box... But you could make a small caibinet in the TL for this though. Give better sound because the sound pressure can't reach the coils as good... So no heavy vibration on the coil from external signals (electrical is another story).

Can someone point me to a source for the Tangband W3-871 in USA, preferably with low shipping? Parts Express doesn't seem to have carry the unshielded. They do, however, have the HiVi B3S. Where results ever reported with this driver? I've combed through this thread but haven't had the chance to read every page.

Wasn't it the B3N/S that was suboptimal in the Needle? I.e. 2nd harmonic distortion at 50-100Hz, leading to flabby bass. Try searching the thread for B3N specifically.

A big part of the magic of the W3-871 Needles I built is the clean and pretty bass they have ... Not big bass, but clean and pretty bass.

I have tried the HiVi B3S in my TABAQ, and I can not reccomend this driver.
FYI, just finished a TABAQ cabinet with TB 4" driver, testing will be done during Easter. The T/S are different for TB 3 and 4 inch driver. By pure luck, the cabinet should work without any changes for both drivers. Looking forward to the direct comparison between the the two.
Regards
Bjorn Johannesen

Over the past few weeks I have been contemplating buying some more drive units for my Needles, again :)

And, as you do I have looked at other designs with 3" DU's and found in this thread the Tabaq which looks very good indeed.

My Needles are 830mm from floor to the centre of the DU's which is why I made them in the first place and why I like single driver speakers. I like to listen with the DU's at ear level when sitting, I think and this is just my personal opinion, that the stereo effect is at its greatest when DU's are at this height.

I also think that the port, and I maybe wrong about this, should also be close to the floor and if possible in a corner.

I now have my Needles in a corner in a 7 ft wide room and the increase in bass is noticeable over placement not near a wall or corner as in my previous setup.

Alas the Tabaq's DU's are 560mm from floor level and therefore well below ear level.

I think but am not sure about this, that if the Tabaq's were raised off the floor the corner effect would be lost.

I wonder if anyone has actually experienced this or anything similar.

Regards - Jem

Hi Jem
I have seen in the simulation that you will loose some bass response if you raise the cabinet from the floor. I know from others posts in this forum, that you can add some additional space at the bottom to make the TABAQ taller so the driver is in ear level.
This extra "box" in the botton is filled with dried sand.
The result skould be very good.

Regrads
Bjorn

Hey All!

I've been lurking this thread for some time to find tips building a pair of needles. Well, it helped me a great deal and it's just fair that I post a picture of the completed couple.

They still are without shoes, havent really decided on the size, they sound great for being so small, that frs8 isnt so bad as it looks.

Here goes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks guys!

Question

I like the looks of the speakers without the "shoes". Will leaving these out affect the sound quality much (and if so how)? I've tested them (on carpet) without the shoes and they sound pretty good to me.

so with the underside open? having a carpet close to the port would influence the low output somewhat I expect

Yes that's what I mean. I'm not an audio expert, but my guess was that the low frequency bass sounds that come from the underside would not be that much affected by carpet (or any other type of flooring). At least not as much as the mid- and high-tones. So that's why I'm thinking leaving the underside open would be ok.

easy to experiment I'd say. just try it on the carpet and then put some wood or other hard material under them

I've tried that and did not notice a clear difference. However because it takes some time to switch the material it was not easy comparing. Maybe I should test again, one speaker on wood, one on carpet, and switch speakers with the amplifier on mono.