CS8416/CS4397 board at 96kHZ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Best results

edinm said:
Hello to all,

I played with this board for some time. Change components, replace OPAMP with 2111, but THE best results is if you solder left and right chanels directly on DAC schip (there are 4 caps after chip and before output stage. On first connectr one chanel, and on last one connect another chanell. There should be 2 caps between these two connections.

So whole output stage together with OPAMP i trashed :)

Chears

If you bypass the output stage, you also bypass the output LPF.
CS4397 features a SCF LPF, which removes aliasing residuals veryeffective, but it generates noise @ its working frequensy. This means that the chip generates noise @ around 400KHz just 14-16 dB below full scale. That is not very good working conditions for the next amplifier. At best your preamplifier is to slow to get bothered by the noise, or the input is filtered, at worst you create massive amounts of distortion.
The Crystal DAC´s calls for post filtering by 2. order @ 50 KHz acording to application notes, in our project we ended up with 2. order @ 100KHz without problems, but without post filtering the noise can be lethal for preceeding amps.

Ipanema said:
I also found that it sounds better without the 2nd order filter (cirrus suggested value at 50kHz) but there is audible hissing. How much different is the sound between 50kHz and 100kHz filtering? Can you share you filter design here? Thanks.

Our analog stage is discrete, so I don´t think you can use the design, but anyways here is the design of the analog stage. http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7729/analogstagetl8.jpg
It only shows 1 pole of the filter, the second is driven directly by the chip 0,22nF paralleled by a resistor of which I don´t remember the value, but that can easily be calculated.

You can se pictures of the project here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138230&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

lampucera 96khz

I have recently purchased three lampucera dacs cs4397/cs8416 from lawrence in Hong Kong. I have lifted pin 2 on the dac and bridged it to pin 16 on the receiver and am still unable to playback audio from a dvd on any of the boards. I am using the spdif out from my yamaha dvd/cd/sacd player, can anyone help me out, cd's play excellent but when I bridge the two pins I get no output.:confused:

The design has evolved

I've bought this dac three months ago, and it works at all sampling rates (tested at 44; 96 & 192kHz) without any mod. :D

P.S: on my board the control bits of the CS4397 are as follow
M0=1;M1=0;M2=1;M3=1;M4=0 ==> automatic switch

Regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK, thanks. Too bad.
I do see a number of Lampucera kits for sale, but I don't want all that extra stuff, just a good little, inexpensive DAC board.

BTW, I love Montpellier. Used to go down there years ago. And to the beach. Great place, pretty town.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
But of course!

Any good line level transformer will do just fine. I tend to use the 1:1 or 600:600 ohm models. No filter is needed because so little noise gets thru the transfo. Much of the noise is common mode, anyway, so the transfo cancels that out.

I've used many different brands. Edcor, Jensen, Sowther, Onetics, various no name and Chinese. They all work, they all sound different.

The CS chips are specified for a 1K load. They will work well from about 600 ohms on up. With a 1:1 transformer, the DAC chip will see the same impedance that you put on the secondary. So if your following amp or preamp has in input impedance of 50K, that's basically what the DAC "sees" on the transfo primary.

Depending on the circuit and the transfo, there can be ringing. A simple resistor across the output winding or even Zobel can tame this. If you have access to an oscilloscope, you can check and fine tune this. Or just put 3.3K across it and be happy. :)

As described, this mod probably won't work for 192KHz. The CS8416 doesn't provide a '192KHz' or similar output, so there's no way to detect if the sample rate is greater than 96KHz. The 96KHZ output will be asserted, but the DAC needs an extra input set low (M2, pin 4) for sample rates > 100KHz. To complicate matters, the M2 pin also controls de-emphasis in low speed mode (44-48khz). If you need 192Khz, you could try pinning the M2 pin low (or attaching a switch), but beware that if this pin is low in 44 or 48khz mode it will enable de-emphasis.

It might be able to receive 96KHz with M2 low too (datasheet says 100-200KHz), so maybe it's worth a try.

if you want 192khz just make high the U pin from 8416 and force dac to quad speed regards John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.