Cryogenic Processing Does It Work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
g'mornin boys....

Attachments

• cryofuse.jpg
    cryofuse.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 137
OFF TOPIC:

PHN,

I don't know where you live... but I live in a world where unscientific sectarian beliefs, an impending energy shortage, and a planet populated like so much agar in a petri dish might soon bring out the worst in all of us. I am largely prepared for it. Oil is on its way out. Alcohol, tobacco. and firearms may be our next global currency... I really hope not.

I can't reply further without violation of the "politics" rule...

Where's Kofi dammit?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SY said:
edit: I'm interested in the idea that heating removes the effect of cryo treatment. If it's something that demonstrably works on gun barrels or vacuum tubes, how can that be?

In the case of the experienced vendor doing your cryo-treatment, heating the tube up to a specific temperature in a specific time frame for a specific time period is part of the process.

dave

Attachments

• cryovac-process.gif
    cryovac-process.gif
    57.1 KB · Views: 115
Chris,

I gather you're up on the technology as well... good man... Canada boy... go figure! "Berkeley glue"... good one!

John,

You didn't notice Quasi's fuse artifact from the depths of antarctica? The ancients had charlatans too.

SY,

I am cooking "jerk chicken" that has been marinating for a day or two for my 4000 girls... this with raw cabbage and a fresh fruit salad. Just for fun, I am hiding the milk.

:)

The shafts were stainless castings... our theory was that there was a void or a chunk of foreign matter inside the casting that caused an uneven shrink... we were in too much of a hurry to care.

You really should know better. Rifle barrels are never cast. Target shooting has developed to such a high degree that if any improvement is noticeable (e.g. consistently higher scores), that process will stick.

John

Many comments...

Rifle barrels-
Stuff that is done for competition is often as much about giving the competitor a psychological boost as actually doing something objectively beneficial. Bike racers fill their tires with helium, target shooters cryo treat their barrels even though the manufacturer says it will have no effect. If the competitior believes it has an effect, it will improve his mental condition for the competition.

Resonances-
This word should trigger your marketing BS detector and send you running in the opposite direction. It is such a meaningless bit of nonsense you should laugh in the face on anyone (except maybe a physicist) you hear uttering it. It's equivalent to explaining how it works because it is Tuesday and the moon is a waning crescent. 99.99% of everyone who uses the term to explain anything does not know what they are talking about. How do you find the 0.01% who do? That's easy. They are the ones who aren't trying to get at your wallet.

A/B testing a cryo'd amp-
If you're going to compare two circuits they should be the same except for the cryo treatment. You'll have to use conductive epoxy for both amps, not just the cryo'd one or you won't know if the "improvement" you are hearing is due to the cryo treatment or the epoxy or the combination of the two.

"But you cannot discard millions of people as wackos because of their beliefs." Any exception made for Naziism? How about "intelligent design"? How about the Khmer Rouge? What about electing W not once, but twice? What about all those alien abductions and anal probes? Yes, the masses are certainly in tune with good sense and reason...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a book-burning to attend. Tonight's menu includes a first edition copy of Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species". It promises to be a real crowd pleaser!

I_F

Re: Re: Re: REAL cryogenics

john curl said:
Jneutron has no experience in what we would look for, if we were to try to establish listening changes.
From a measurement point of view, yes I do. I find it has been especially difficult attempting to explain it to audio types, as the end concept requires far too much up front homework, without entertaining the mathematics at all, just the concepts.

But making up scientific explanations and pushing them as reality, that is not acceptable.

john curl said:
Again referring to Hummel: "The residual resistivity p(res) is interpreted to be due to imperfections in the crystal, such as impurities, vacancies, gain boundaries or dislocations. The residual resistivity is essentially not temperature dependent. According to Matthiessen's rule the resistivity arises from independent scattering processes which are additive, ..." pp. 84-85 'Electronic Propeties of Materials' 2'nd edition.
While relevent to something, it certainly is not applicable to the discussion at hand.

You need to find some text that explains the inhomogeneity of the mass structure, the current redistribution, and the resultant end effects. I'll give you fair warning...you will find nothing in existing literature which details that. There may be some EMP work which considers this problem, but that will not be accessible by you, there is a little bit of HTS work which starts to think about this, but not much else..

Bratislav said:

My guess is because instrument will be at room temp, it is quick and cheap to precool it with LN. Both He and N tanks are emptied before LHe is applied, and then only LN dewar refilled, so no chunks of nitrogens result after LHe is flown in (unfortunately! it'be fun to throw some nitroballs ;) )
It is very cost effective to use ln2 to get down to 77K, the helium is so expensive. That way, the helium only has to get the stuff down to about 50K, where the heat capacity darn near vanishes.

We've had some issues with the helium freezing leftover nitrogen, bolluxing the system to where we have to warm up to 80K or so to pump down the gas.

SY said:
I don't know whom you could be talking about, Pearl Harbor Guy.

Hmmm..ah,,,,some old guy...who just loves Jackson..

Cheers, John

poobah said:

Let's just look at a transistor for a moment... copper leads, an epoxy jacket, and everthing is at zero stress. Copper contracts about 16 ppm (or 0.0016 %) for every degree C. I have measured epoxies that contract at 80 ppm / C.

So... you cool the whole mess down, the copper shrinks a bit, the epoxy shrinks 5 times as much. Now the epoxy wrapped around the leads wants to tear... eventually it will. The reverse happens as you heat the transistor... but now the epoxy wants to peal away from the copper... and it does.

Copper:16 ppm/C
Aluminum: 25.5
silicon: 3.3 (temp dependent) (718/(T + 173))
silver 19.6
Molybdenum 5.1
gold 14.16
germanium 6.1
beryllium 11.5
lead/tin solder 25
Gold/Ge 13.35
Gold/silicon 12.33
Alumina about 7

Stycast 2850: 29 below alpha, 90 above.

The die attach solidifies at a high temp, as it cools, it builds up residual stresses. At room, it has a shear stress. Over time, this stress will lower if the die attach is with a ductile alloy.

Cryo may force the issue of stress reduction, but may also compromise the die attach.

Transistors will changer parameter if the die attach stress is lowered, but that is an easy thing to test. I suspect the first thing to be altered will be secondary breakdown of bipolars, with some small, probably not measureable, increase of thermal resistance.

Large epoxy units typically use a matched expansion epoxy to lower tce issues. They also choose glass transitions above operating temperatures, as softening is not good, nor is the rapid expansion above it.
Cheers, John

I have not recommended cryoing whole electronic assemblies, mostly because of dissimilar expansion coefficients. In fact, I once threatened to void the guarantee of a CTC preamp on this account, if they damaged it by putting it through a professional cryo process. So far, some caps, heatshrink, some plastics, and a few other parts that either have air or water 'pockets' seem to be badly effected by cryoing. Virtually everything else, including CD's, guns, pistons, Bybee devices (raw state), circuit boards, etc come through OK.
Is it useful? Some say yes, others say no, and still others think that they know that it doesn't do anything, without trying it.

"Condemnation without examination, is prejudice"

Now where did I hear that before? ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.