• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

@ ijscobar,
Not an engineer here, but just wondering... Photo in a previous post shows blue and violet wires leading from IP_S. I also saw this post regarding ES 9018 noise behavior. Are you confident in the continuity of the loop connected to IP_S? ...just a thought...

The blue and violet wires are indeed connected to IP_S. On the other side is a switch. When I turn the switch in the off position I measure 1.3K Ohm. (on = 0 Ohm) Checked the switch and it is functioning as it should.

I got my old Marantz CD60 from the attic and connected it through spdif to my BIII3SE. I could get no sound from the cd player. Connected the cd player in a "normal" way to mightier amp and it plays.

I have no idea if the 1.3K Ohm is normal or not.

Hi Russ,

I have been battling with lock probs between my B3 and the multichannel USBStreamer from MiniDSP for some time. There is a forum on modding the hardware to enable injection of external master clock here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/244042-master-clock-isolator-minidsp-usbstreamer.html

Would it be possible to use the Cronus to do this and reclock the 4 I2S signals? Jens designed a detector circuit that switches the external master clock between 22.5/24.5 based on the onboard USBStreamer MCLK signal.

Russ, I'm afraid I need some help here. :(

Hmm still problems I'm afraid... I have distorted sound on the left channel...
Any advise what to do?

Had some more time to try some possibility's. I have distortion on the left channel only when upsampling to 352-384 ( using power of 2).
I also think this sudden distortion could be the reason both left channels of my power amps failed. (I'm bi amping). Repaired one amp, the other needs more attention :confused:

No, have not tried native 352.8. I will download and try.

The problem with the left channel came very unexpected.
I had everything going well for a couple of day except I had
some distortion now and than but only for a very short time.

I was listening to music a bit louder than usual when suddenly I got
very loud distortion over both channels. I turned everything off and on again.
Both my amp (left channel only) had failed. After repairing one amp I found
out that the left channel still gave distortion while the right channel was functioning normal. Tried my cd player which was functioning normal on both channels. This means my pre amp is also okay. So I started to try my Buffalo IIISE at 44.1 to 384. It functioned allright until I went past 192...

I must be going slightly mad: distortion now on both channels.
Downloaded a 352 flac but it would not load in Audirvana... Try again tomorrow.

@ ijscobar,
Not an engineer here, but just wondering... Photo in a previous post shows blue and violet wires leading from IP_S. I also saw this post regarding ES 9018 noise behavior. Are you confident in the continuity of the loop connected to IP_S? ...just a thought...

The blue and violet wires are indeed connected to IP_S. On the other side is a switch. When I turn the switch in the off position I measure 1.3K Ohm. (on = 0 Ohm) Checked the switch and it is functioning as it should.

I got my old Marantz CD60 from the attic and connected it through spdif to my BIII3SE. I could get no sound from the cd player. Connected the cd player in a "normal" way to pre amp and it plays.

I have no idea if the 1.3K Ohm is normal or not.

I measured IP-S resistance on three BIIIse with no power hookup but attached to I/V boards. All 3 above 1.6 Megohms.

I just measured again and and this time it was 2 Ohm with BIIISE turned off and 25 turned on. :confused::confused:

Tried an old version of Amarra (2.4.5) today. Distortion at 384 (couldn't hear music) then at lower up sampling the pitch was wrong and at 44.1 I had normal sound...

tested again today for stereo imaging and discovered that the dac goes into mono(left channel) when I turn the reclocker off
also the spdif autodetect bypass seems to change the sound with a lower rolloff for the top end.

what I am doing wrong?

edit: when using spdif bypass it won't play dsd

Last edited:
For the Cronus Re-clocking Module, if I already got a master clock, do I still need the Rhea Pair? Which socket should I connect the master clock? If purchase the Rhea pair as well, will the master clock override the Rhea pair if a master clock is connected?

Just wanted to check before placing my order.