Critical Midhorn Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've traveled this path and arrived at the destination with 19" Trachorn's and JBL 2482's fitted with Radian Diaphragm's and JBL 2404H's sitting atop EV Georgian KD2's KHorn's.
Built of 1/2" and 3/4" high grade plywood
and a few 1/12" stainless screws.
Know as a "Super KHorn".
The hardest part of this project was locating the JBL 2482s, without which "the project" would never have gotten off the ground.
This is my third attempt at uncovering the
"perfect" corner horn design and this project worked quit well. Thank You Mr. Paul Klipsch.

B&C DCM50 modified to field coil operation

I am the guy who had B&C DCM50s modified to f.c. operation. I use them on a pair of Bill Woods' AH300 conical horns. The modified DCM50s replaced a pair of original diaphragm JBL 375s on round tractrix horns.

The f.c. B&Cs sound MUCH better than my JBL 375s. Warm, rich, corporeal, but quick, no metallic edge and VERY detailed - more detail retrieval than 375s, which is really saying something.

The DCM50 is a modern version of a 1930s f.c. compression driver made by RCA, the MI-1428 and it pretty much sounds the same. I have heard the original 1428 and it's also nice and warm but very detailed and they too sound great all the way from 400 Hz to 10 kHz. My DCM50s are crossed over to HiVi RT2PRO planar magnetic tweeters at 5kHz.

I have not listened to an unmodified pair of DCM50s but Bill Woods says they sound great and recommends them as the best driver to use on his AH300s.

If you want to upgrade your Khorns they are ideal, far far better sounding than any midrange driver PWK ever used.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.