Critical Midhorn Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's just it, the RCF's look *better* to me than the Radian's, even the 475. (..manufacturers claims are marketing on a more "pro-sound" basis, not really for domestic use.)

Operating a driver below Fc, may not be much of a big deal because of the horn loading.. it's something you have to look at for each design.

IMO a good bit of what TrueSound is describing can be related to driver fatigue - both suspension and diaphragm. Older fatigued aluminum drivers tend to sound better.. they *age* better (..until they break). . Based on the description I suspect that the mentioned JBL 2470 had a titanium replacement diaphragm.

NOPE, most of the drivers I have were bought new and NOPE no titanium in 2470 - phenolic, that's why it works so low, operating the compression driver below resonance is a problem in a horn (distortion, destruction, bad sound) not so much with certain cones and certain back chamber annulling. Who recommended that to you? Why do you think an aluminum driver would "age" better?

NOPE, most of the drivers I have were bought new and NOPE no titanium in 2470 - phenolic, that's why it works so low, operating the compression driver below resonance is a problem in a horn (distortion, destruction, bad sound) not so much with certain cones and certain back chamber annulling.

Who recommended that to you? Why do you think an aluminum driver would "age" better?

Purchased new and then used for many years?

I'm surprised that the phenolic JBL was so poor at mid freq.s.

If I remember correctly, aluminum in a compression driver fatigues over time to a greater extent than titanium.

Purchased new and then used for many years?

I'm surprised that the phenolic JBL was so poor at mid freq.s.

If I remember correctly, aluminum in a compression driver fatigues over time to a greater extent than titanium.

That is indeed the issue. Titanium doesn't fatigue. It fails or works. Titanium phragms are a heckuva lot tougher than Al but are not as well behaved in the top octave.

Hey guys, how about this one?

Peavey RX22 1" Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI | Parts-Express.com
http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-321s.pdf

The lowest "recommended" crossover is 500 Hz @12db/octave.

Larger diameter.. but titanium surround. In other words it's likely that distortion will hit a "wall" near Fc (where it rises dramatically). Also titanium drivers tend to have more non-linear oscillation on the leading edge (particularly with titanium surrounds).. i.e. they aren't as "smooth".

ick.. it uses fero-fluid as well.

Last edited:
That is indeed the issue. Titanium doesn't fatigue. It fails or works. Titanium phragms are a heckuva lot tougher than Al but are not as well behaved in the top octave.

I've never blown an aluminum driver.

The 2480 series is much better then 2470. The 2470 has a lift from 2K up that sounds raspy and chalky for lack of a better word. It also dies off real early, you can use them 500 to 1.8K but I like a wider response from a compression driver

I have some of the latest generation Tannoy with neodymium magnets and titanium diaphragms and they sound very nice, sweet refined with the lack of clang found in other titanium drivers. Not sure what they did but they really agree with me.

Yes i have a collection, it's an obsession.

Fatigue - can you point me to facts on that?

I'm well aware of your obsession. :D

Only generically..

Yield Stress to Yield Point to Buckling for the material.

The yield strength of Aluminum is generally less than half that of Titanium - and as a result starts becoming plastic (elastic) at lower stresses (such as compressive stress). Because of the higher plasticity for aluminum it tends to become more plastic/elastic over time with reoccurring compressive stress.

I have some of the latest generation Tannoy with neodymium magnets and titanium diaphragms and they sound very nice, sweet refined with the lack of clang found in other titanium drivers. Not sure what they did but they really agree with me.

Neo motors *generally* sound better (i.e. present more subjective detail), than ferrite ceramic. Doesn't seem to matter what the diaphragm is made of. Of course higher force in the gap *also* seems to do this as well.

I think Titanium gets a bad rap because of the surround. When you look at the material (without looking at fatigue), it's *very* similar to Aluminum. Propagation Velocity and Internal Loss are nearly identical for the two materials when used as diaphragms.

There are some new drivers getting produced with poly surrounds and Titanium diaphragms. I don't know if the new Tannoys are in this category, but these are:

1"
NSD1095N - HF Neodymium Driver
..in fact most of 18Sounds 1" exit neo drivers are like this.
1.4"
RCF - ND850 1.4
B&C SPEAKERS

Last edited:
ok, so Ive been thinking about this for some time now and im stull very unsure about several choices that I have.
I think I want to go with a 2" mid- but I realy dont know which one- the selenium d405 as suggested looks good for the money, but im unsure given the fr realy isnt anything like what im used to as calling flat.
A 1" on top like the 18 sounds nsd1095 for instance would be good.

crossovers are a issue-
I can see the advantage of running the behinger active crossover but im already having issues with noise in my system so I realy cant see this helping, + this will be used for HT, so I only have analogue available as a input and a daada conversion process isnt realy ideal either.
A analogue active crossover maybe. - but no options for propper eq then.

ok, so Ive been thinking about this for some time now and im stull very unsure about several choices that I have.
I think I want to go with a 2" mid- but I realy dont know which one- the selenium d405 as suggested looks good for the money, but im unsure given the fr realy isnt anything like what im used to as calling flat.
A 1" on top like the 18 sounds nsd1095 for instance would be good.

The d405 does have it's problems.. Not a strong motor, ferrite based, and ferri-fluid in the gap (..which I find the most disturbing). The freq. response on a horn below 1- 2 kHz should be much worse than most other drivers. Of course you have to "weigh" all that against price.

One of the biggest things you should look at for 2" exit drivers is their diameter.. Most are only 3", but if you are looking for a midrange driver and you are going to go with a 2" exit then look to a 4" driver, otherwise you might as well just go with a 1.4" exit with a 3".

Reactions: 1 user
Don't buy from Crisp Deals

If anyone on here wants to buy RCF ND350 compression drivers whatever you do - DO NOT buy from Crisp Deals. They use the classic bait and switch. They list the ND350 at $104 each on their web site. However, they ship the N350 instead and pretend to be surpprised when you call them. Dirty scum.

Rgs, JLH

Got them from from Parts Express in the end. Top notch service and no games.

If anyone on here wants to buy RCF ND350 compression drivers whatever you do - DO NOT buy from Crisp Deals. They use the classic bait and switch. They list the ND350 at $104 each on their web site. However, they ship the N350 instead and pretend to be surpprised when you call them. Dirty scum.

Rgs, JLH

Got them from from Parts Express in the end. Top notch service and no games.

Good info.. :)

Typically what I do is find the lowest price and then go to a vendor I've used before (and like).. and see if they will lower their price to something similar. ;)

Ive been offered a pair of Yamaha JA6681B, but I dont know much about this driver.big vc, 1.5 inch exit. alnico if ive read right.
The bms 4592ND-mid could be a option maybe.

The Yamaha is often considered to be an excellent driver. The only real question is what kind of shape are they in? Alnico motors can be "off-spec" due to physical jarring or stored in close proximity to strong magnetic fields (..like each other). If they are OK then the next question is the diaphragm assembly of each.

Brett seems to like the non-neo mid (4591) version. Note however that the operation of the driver is quite a bit different - it's basically a "ring radiator", and because of this it's quite a bit more damped than a standard compression driver. (..perhaps emphasizing the initial impulse over the decay.)

http://www.assistanceaudio.com/graphics/4594ND_freq.jpg

http://www.assistanceaudio.com/graphics/4591_freq.jpg

If this is to be beleved, I would be inclined to have a look at the 4591 then.
However, Assistance audio suggest the neo drivers are higher higher resolution?- Not sure how as nearly all the specs are identical between the 2 drivers.

Yes, neo motors tend to sound more detailed than ferrite ceramic. (..but no one seems to be able to discern precisely why.)

At the price point of the BMS neo mid though you have to start considering the Radian 950PB again.. :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.