• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Could this become a Baby Huey killer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you get the IXY series CCS mosfets from mouser - they might be the solution.

I was trying to rearrange the screens to eliminate a bit of cross talk. Those CCS will be the death of me, had it all lovely and stable and one poke around and bang. i just spent the afternoon and evening trying to salvage the situation and got nowhere. Plenty of work, no spare time and the Rugby is on tomorrow. S**t !!

Shoog

Its the one that Jed pointed to, though I thought they did a 600V version which would be better. 8 of those would be great Fran, though I still owe you for some MPE you got. We will have to get together so I can pay you back.
I was thinking about the fault this morning, theres some weird short going, its possible that the CCS are still OK and if I can sort this problem all will be OK. i will have a poke around today, though timing is critical because i am out this morning, and after Rugby and Beer it won't be safe.

Just to make my day perfect the latest Linux security update to Java has broken my internet connection - typing this on my Netbook. I must have been bad in a past life :bawling:

Shoog

The issue with the switch on transient is that it can throw the whole 400V of +B over the CCs at the switch on instant. this quickly falls away but its enough to push all but the most rugged Transistors outside of their SOA.

Fran I know its confusing, I had to do a double take on the data sheet. I think I will risk it so can you go ahead and order me 8.

Cracking Irish match, absolutely edge of your seat stuff.

Shoog

If the voltage strays outside of the SOA then I think the current is not that important. It might help a bit, but what might it bring to the sound.

Declan Kidney is the man, you could tell the effect he has had on the team -discipline which is what they always lacked under the last joker. Grand slam is in order I feel. Looking forward to tomorrows match to see if wales have maintained their form.

Shoog

Attachments

• syclotron.png
    syclotron.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 441
Jaap,
I think it probably could be used - haven't done a real analysis.

For your info - last night I pulled the original Baby Huey off the shelf and modified one channel to the cross coupled feedback to the diff amp grids circuit arrangement similar to the 6BM8 circuit you posted at post #22.

I still had to use 47K 15K 47K network off the output tube anodes to drop the feedback level (15K actually reduced to 10K), thus retaining some of the basic "Baby Huey'ish-ness" but instead of the 220K resistors back to the diff amp anodes I used 100nF cap and 4M3 in series back to the the opposite diffamp grids and the 27K grid input resistors. The 220K anode loads then went to a separate decoupled High Voltage rail (10K + 22uF from the main B+). All else remained the same. These component values were arrived at to set the sensitivity (and therefor presumably output impedance etc.) to the same as the other unmodified channel.

Still listening too it and assessing sound BUT I can say that the opinion I expressed about that circuit configuration giving a different sound is correct. Not hugely different but noticeable. Early days BUT it seems to NOT have that mid range richness and strong (exaggerated?) bottom end of the "Baby Huey", instead it seems to have more tonal balance, improved top end and possibly better detail. That suggests less 2nd harmonic distortion and possibly less higher order (3rd 5th etc.) harmonic distortions as well.

Will advise further, will probably have to do the other channel as well to assess this properly. Of course it is probably the strong 2nd harmonic distortion profile of the original Baby Huey circuit which is what people seem to like about it, getting rid of that may prove a "bad idea".

Cheers,
Ian

Ian,
Nice to see that you are still experimenting. I am ashamed to confess that I still didn't build the original BH, but that will certainly happen in the near future. So I cannot compare things. But I have built something else that is quite diferent and on the other hand is near family of the BH. I must say that it sounds so good that I won't dismantle it and keep it for reference.

Attachments

• el84_stc.gif
    el84_stc.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 455
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.