Cool simple "clean" CFA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Richard - it's not so new then :D But it makes me sure I'm going in the right direction :)

Thanks for the schematic. Any pdf for the pcb?

What I don't like about the circuit is (1) resistive VAS loading (2) big gate stopper resistance.

I don't know, I just try to avoid such resistor in VAS or output stage. OS schematics have them as well but almost 1M (yours is much smaller). I will usually try to connect the resistors together (so no ground connection).

The base stopper (470 is too big for my taste), is that to stop oscillation tendency?

Thanks for the schematic. Any pdf for the pcb?

What I don't like about the circuit is (1) resistive VAS loading (2) big gate stopper resistance.

I don't know, I just try to avoid such resistor in VAS or output stage. OS schematics have them as well but almost 1M (yours is much smaller). I will usually try to connect the resistors together (so no ground connection).

The base stopper (470 is too big for my taste), is that to stop oscillation tendency?

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your interest and comments ;)

Schematic is not yet available, this is just the beginning of the project - I will work on it over the weekend and publish here as soon as it's done.

With regards to the points you mentioned above:

1) Those resistors is a common approach to slightly linearize the VAS load. Lateral FETs have got some complex non-linear frequency-dependent impedance. Putting a "linear" resistor in parallel will increase the load, but it will make it a bit more linear at the same time. In case you really dislike this approach, you can simply omit those resistors and see if it brings some benefits - no problem, push-pull VAS will work without them.

2) Those gate stoppers' value was actually determined during experiments/testing within the other project - TubSuMo hybrid amp. 470R resistors with 220pF G-D caps at the N-channel resulted in sustainable stability of the output stage.
Probably, with this front-end (high currents, good stability margins), we can get away with lower values - just a matter of prototyping and testing. Such local instabilities are difficult to simulate.

Cheers,
Valery

Hi LC,

I tried jfet+bjt - not so good as a super pair. Looks like low B-E voltage does not allow the jfet working properly. Nelson Pass uses exactly the same IRF610/9610 "like hell" in gain stages :D But not in super-pair configuration.
JFET+MOSFET super-pair appears to be rather linear. This front-end has got not too much of a loop gain - performs primarily based on decent open loop linearity.

We'll see what the prototype is gonna show ;)

Cheers,
Valery

:D

Attachments

• Clean CFA.png
    Clean CFA.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 501
Schematic update

Hi Didiet and All,

This is the "final" version of the schematic, at least for now :)
I have market the added / changed components / values with red frames.
R11 consists of 5 x 2.4K resistors in parallel.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• @CF-FET-02-sch.JPG
    @CF-FET-02-sch.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 478
3"x4" double-sided PCB

I'm back home, back to all my tools and systems :)

Here is a "standard" size PCB layout.
Gerbers are available on request ;)

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• 01-PCB-01-Silk.jpg
    01-PCB-01-Silk.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 410
  • PCB - CF-FET-01-Silk.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PCB - CF-FET-02-TOP.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 115
  • PCB - CF-FET-03-BOTTOM.pdf
    25.5 KB · Views: 109
Hi Terry,

Yes, setting R1, R3 to 43R will give you the VAS current close to 4.7mA, perfectly suitable for driving the Slewmaster OPS.

Cheers,
Valery

Do you have the .asc for this one ? If you do , add the .include for the fet models.

If 43R gives 4.7ma , 39 should = 5+ ?
Most slew IPS's are 5-5.5ma , 4.7 would make the OP's a bit overbiased.
I changed
my first "wolverine" IPS from 4.4ma to 5.3ma (the only exception). Standard 5.3
on all allows direct swaps without bias re-adjustments.
Thanks ,
OS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.