Convert Krell 300iL to European voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had a look at the ROM for the Krell KCT, and it appears that it is protected in the same fashion as the 300iL. It also uses the 68hc11 family of microcontrollers, but appears to use a separate EPROM chip. I received a bin file by email, and it's easy to have a look at such files just with a binary dump tool, or hex editor. I use 0xED on a mac myself.

Looking at the decompiled code I presented on page 13, the binary codes are shown alongside the decompiled code in hexadecimal format.

Scroll down to the code where I've written "B I N G O !" in the comments. The infinite loop that happens if the input frequency is not 60Hz, has hex code 20FE. Along with the code prior to it, it forms the hex sequence 4D 2702 20FE. Such a sequence is easy to spot, and indeed in code sent to me, labeled KCT F.P V1.76 60hz_BIN.bin, this code is found at location 036859.

Since this binary sequence would very unlikely be there for any other purpose, and since we're dealing with an external EPROM chip which can easily be duplicated with minor modifications, it should be easy to test this. Similar to how we fixed the code for the 300iL, by changing the FE to 00. This in this case we can change location 36863 from FE to 00.

Anyone know how to make Krell 300i from 120 volt to 220 volt?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 307
Left side is mains 220V or 110V, right side is the 2 sections of 110V which are now parallel,

black /orange is 1 part of the 110V section the other part is the red / white wire, in serie is : remove the lower smal black wire , the middle smal blackwire disconnect from the left side and connect the white wire with the the rightside black wire, now the to 110V sections are in serie

hi, actually i was responding to some forum's member from Israel offering help. otherwise read from page 7 on, it is possible to fix it (?) by 60hz clock circ. feeding Motorola chip or if some people are programming eggheads they can reprogram this chip to accept 50Hz. Damned Krell and all so called High End audio industry. not talking about thieving sellers, distributors etc. are we suckers?
to hell with them! thank you

also read entire story from page1. authorized Krell dealer in UK offered to fix the problem with 120/220Volt conversion for mere 500BPounds! yeah and you know how he fix it by himself?
flipping one or two switches inside KAV300iL! LITERALLY. and it costs 1000US bucks.
That is criminal!
I should trash this amp out of my window(5th floor) and send pics to Krell with note that it was caused by their genius screw you idea of cowardly putting in circuit of 60hz detection/locking. thanks a lot to one of "legendary US brand" awful disservice to it's costumer. Catering to money grabbing middleman. Shame.
"& do not let me start"(SNL reference) on and about total ripoffs kinds of WillsonAudio.

for the lucky ones with 50/60Hz chip i remeasured resistances on switches again with quality DMM:
[in the order of sw1-sw2-sw3]
2-1-1= 120V=2.9Ohm between white and black.
2-2-1= 4Ohm
2-2-2= 4.1/4.2Ohm.
good luck.
pray that you have KAV300iL with 50/60. all you have to do is 2-2-1(=220?) or safely 2-2-2(240?).
my Krell just flying out of window. 60Hz "lock in" made me do it. Scrap aluminum goes to recycling.
cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.