Contemporary Blues

How about some tribute to the originals that inspired modern hits…….something tells me there‘s quite a few!
Here’s one most will recognize. This is Henry Thomas with ’Bulldoze blues’ (1928?)
It’s amazing what you learn just by digging into this stuff……what I thought was a regular flute all these years is actually the ‘quills’ a pan flute like instrument. Which was faithfully used in the Canned Heat interpretation. http://kzfr.org/broadcasts/211

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome, glad to see the blues thread isn’t dead (was starting to wonder!)
I just went back and edited my first post to include all blues so we can delve into the older more obscure stuff, like @bhjazz said…..gotta know your blues roots! :cool:

I'll be honest: I just stumbled on to this thread recently. I normally spend too much time reading build threads and thought I should venture out more. Great work to everyone here, especially @mountainman bob. I'll be digging though even more of the thread now. ;)

Edit: I also appreciate that some of the posts here are Blues by form, and not necessarily Blues by style. Well done!

Reactions: 1 users
Dan Auerbach is quite amazing! Here’s a album project he did with Tony Joe Whites son that pulls never before heard vocal/guitar tracks from tapes stashed away by Tony over the years and then adding a full band to it!

Tony Joe White - "Boot Money" [Official Video] - YouTube

I'm a big fan of Auerbach, and this is quite a find for me. He gets such great sounds out of his rig; I'm always amazed. He even showed up on an episode of American Pickers at one point (see below.) Seems to be a super nice guy. Thanks for posting this!

Reactions: 1 user