Contemplating First Full Range Build. Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone explain to me why this modeling program only models when the width exceds 24.5 inches? Is there a minimum width to open baffle speakers?

FCLR56uh.jpg

Cfuty0uh.jpg

Contemplating first full range build, suggestions/

You have had a lot of information about drivers, etc... What I want to talk about is the use of paper cone drivers which are then treated with many very diluted layers of varnish and turpentine. This is a technique not dissimilar that of making a lacquer object. The net result is an increased stiffness to the paper cone in the driver with a very significant improvement in the quality of the sound. Silk dome tweeters can also be treated the same way with the same effect. To test this try your treated speakers using a Louie Armstrong CD and listen to his raspy voice, or play Blues in Orbit by Duke Ellington, I think track 5 has a lot of trumpet work using a plunger. You will see the difference. It takes time but it is worth it. Varnish only the paper cone outside face or the exposed face of the tweeter silk dome.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
many very diluted layers of varnish and turpentine...The net result is an increased stiffness to the paper cone

I have found that in most cases this degrades a FR driver. To maintain HF dispersion a FR needs to maintain the capability of concentric flexation to decrease effective cone size as frequencies increase. How controlled the designer /builder can get this decoupling behaviour is often een in the resonance behavior of the driver. The big peaks, or shouty behaviour of many FR drivers is a direct consequence of loosing control. Stiffening a cone can lead to much more dramatic loss of control.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.