Considering New Project - AE TD18H and Large Horn, opinions wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Scott, what drivers are you using? Thanks.

Hello Face Man,

The in-wall infinite baffle drivers are Acoustic Elegance IB-15
The push-pull, slot load use Eminence Definimax 4012
The large round (Red) mid horn houses TangBand w8-1772
The Ribbon Tweeter on top is the Stage Accompany Sa-8535

The whole system uses a custom made active, analogue, class a single ended crossover at points of 60, 250 and 6k Hz

I've been doing this for 44 years and this system is my "Life Statement".

Smart move going for the Inlow 100hz horn !!! Since you will have the plans, I suggest making all the walls as thick as possible and brace the horn as much as possible. The amount of pressure inside the horn and the vibrations are no joke !!! Once you get a handle on Hornsresp you will be set. The "magic" low end cut off for a mid bass is around 80hz. but any PROPER front loaded horn around 100hz is excellent. When it comes to horns, bigger is better. The best glue IMHO for building speakers is Unibond 800 epoxy or similar although Titebond wood glue is fine. Once you hear a good mid bass horn, it will be a chore listening to anything else !!! Good luck with the build.

Hi

You should have a look at Weltersys synergy thread... Xrq971's work as welll.

Will dig also about full range horned driver (Vifa TC9, etc) or direct horn where the life is (first octave with a necessary choice around ~100 Hz to ~700/1000 Hz because the size of the load).

In your shoes I would give up the 18" if there is Nothing between it and the upper mid (if a compression driver like you plan in the upper mid and treble and efficienty are a goal).

Certainly not easy for a single driver to cover the main area of music then adding a compression driver like JBL did with the M2!

Btw excellent thread about it in the Lansing Heritage bar... pos member made the filter with time delay for MiniDSP,and his soft...

Few choice when it comes to marry the dynamic of a compression driver with the lower frequency range made by a direct driver! (most important is below 1000 Hz area... but special tastes: Operas, singers....) .

...but just according to me and if Jazz and classical/acoustic music!

Last edited:
Ok...so after nauseating over this all week and swinging one way to the other, here is what I decided and will be building over the next few weeks, and quite a departure from where I started, but this satisfies my curiosity to keep trying new things and learning:

1- Seos24 horn with Radian Radian 745PB-8 1.4" Aluminum CD, I will test these down to as low as 500hz and up to as high as 800.

2 - Midbass horns, Inlow design, uses B&C 12PE32, I've been speaking to John about it and am very excited to hear these, will be my first horn build ever. Here is the modeled FR

881780_orig.png

Once I have the midbass horn and HF Horn up and running and to my liking, then I'll figure out what I'll be doing for 100hz and below, strongly considering another horn, something like the Lab12 or am open to suggestions, or I may do 2 AE 18".

Thanks everyone!
Javad

Oh boy...this is going to be trouble for me! :)

I'm very interested in trying a midbass horn such as Inlows 80 or 100Hz, but my wife doesn't like them and the system is in the living room.

Javad, I will be very interested in reading your assessment of their sound qualities vs direct radiators. Especially in the context of non-limited power amps, as I believe you don't have that constraint. High efficiency of midbass horns make them a natural choice for those using limited power amps. Mine is an active system with 400W for midbass, so not the case. But midbass horns are also said to provide a sense of impact direct radiators can't convey, while keeping sound very clean and musical.

I bought the plans for and built a pair of the Inlow 135hz mid-bass horns with the B&C 8PE21 driver. It is a fantastic mid-bass horn, with great dynamics and presence. I like them so much I never finished/painting the exteriors for the past ~15months. The horn system I was using them in is taken down for some big changes, so I am likely to actually pretty up the exteriors now.

I suspect you will be very pleased with his 100hz mid-bass design in your system.

Javad,

Keep your options open on your midrange horn. If you are looking to cross over in the 500hz. ( lower the better ) range a 2" compression driver will usually sound better. The idea is to have as much of the midrange as possible covered by the compression driver without being stressed. The 1" - 1.5" compression drivers usually sound better when crossed around 600hz. to 800hz -- but that varies with the final speaker design. John Inlow is a fountain of knowledge and his web site is very informative. Can't wait to see your build !!!

Oh boy...this is going to be trouble for me! :)

I'm very interested in trying a midbass horn such as Inlows 80 or 100Hz, but my wife doesn't like them and the system is in the living room.

Hah, yea I made a deal with my wife to take over our virtually unused dining room, I just need to be sure it's clear to use for major holidays and I can do pretty much what I want with it in the meantime.

Javad, I will be very interested in reading your assessment of their sound qualities vs direct radiators. Especially in the context of non-limited power amps, as I believe you don't have that constraint. High efficiency of midbass horns make them a natural choice for those using limited power amps. Mine is an active system with 400W for midbass, so not the case. But midbass horns are also said to provide a sense of impact direct radiators can't convey, while keeping sound very clean and musical.

Absolutely, will keep you posted, very much looking forward to documenting the differences, stay tuned!
Javad

....maybe an exception ? Altec A7 load (short front horn which is more a wave lens for the higher frequencies (to 700/800 Hz with a 15") : good to 60/80 Hz to 700/800 Hz ?

Theorically something (the frequencies range) interessant when talking about drums and sense of impact ???

Don't forget too what Volvotreter member did with an EV 15" bass driver and a direct front horn in this frequency area ! http://wp.volvotreter.de/

I'm asking myself when dreaming what coulbe be such midbass horn with a Gedlee waveguide above 700 Hz ?

By the way : did someone try conf with XO at 500 Hz or 1000 Hz, then heard huge difference enough between both? Is there a good trade off or all a phase intregation question ?

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm asking myself when dreaming what coulbe be such midbass horn with a Gedlee waveguide above 700 Hz ?
Just think, where does the sound need to go (and not go) to match with the waveguide, frequency where you will accept full space radiation and how do you want to take it there. Then consider how it looks, fits and loads, and adjust.

By the way : did someone try conf with XO at 500 Hz or 1000 Hz, then heard huge difference enough between both? Is there a good trade off or all a phase intregation question ?
You mean if there is a directivity mismatch? Phase tuning is just a procedure but depends on this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.