Considering first DIY speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. i have not heard the screws story yet and since i have always used screws i cant say. in India we dont get things such as liquid nails etc so screws and nails are the only alternative.

it is a bit diffcult to get a good 45deg cut but i have done it about 10times now. of late i have been rounding of the corners on my baffle so i dont use this cut much anymore however if youa re using shapr edges it is not difficult you just have to be patient.

if you round of the corners be sure to use 1mm veneer it bends easier. in India you also get really thin paper veneer that is very flexible and leaves no mark but it has limited patterns.

i used to veneer the back. I dont do that anymore. also since I am not palying with boxes that are not straight. (curved sides) and whose back is much less than the baffle i fidn i can wrap the veneer easier. it bends with the box.

i am working on my first bent box (curved sides). as soon as I get some progress i will post pics. maybe in 2 weeks or so. i was down with tyhpoid so i lost 10 days of work now I am playing catch up.

the way to work on your speakers is to go slow. i get it from your earlier posts that you like to work out the detials. that is good. I too prefer to work out all details before gettign parts that I wont use.

just take it slwo and you will do a good job.

Seve,
I've been toying with the idea of building my first sub as well. As I go round and round the message boards and parts supplier sites I find myself more and more looping back to Rythmik Audios site.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.htm
He offers there a kit that includes a 350w plate amp with an integrated Linkwitz Transfer matched to a 12" really high quality driver. Don't know who he sources for the driver but it looks familiar - pictures of it are on the site. All the above for 319 dollars. Nice thing is that with the LT circuit included you can tuck this stuff into a 42 to 54 liter sealed box for some pretty impressive performance (according to specs). I'd love to hear from others what luck they've had from this kit. When you consider all the time and noodling you'd have to do on your own to get an amp, driver and LT circuit working together, this seems like a great deal in a kit. As a beginner, seems like good place to start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.