Cone Materials Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am listening to full titanium cone since 2000 TI100 visaton. It has also a very high QMS, I read a topic about the fact that a high QMS driver sound more open.

Very detailed bright open sound.

I used for the speaker I build for my friend a polypropylene titanium cone. That sounds overall most like a polypropylene cone. Warm sound I would call it.wtp138 TS

Because I have a book shelf with a polypropylene cone. I hear the same sound colour.

I am talking about these three.
DSCF0379.jpg

When it comes to best performance price ratio I think a nice paper cone speaker is still the best choice. Good damping behaivour and bright detailed sound.

The metal cone's are also the result of manufacturers trying to distinguish from each other with exotic cone material. Because paper is such a common product it isn't sexy, although it has great sonic behaivour.

Helmuth said:
Hi

The metal cone's are also the result of manufacturers trying to distinguish from each other with exotic cone material. Because paper is such a common product it isn't sexy, although it has great sonic behaivour.
For some manufacturers, this might be true, but I believe very few know how to get maximum performance out of metal coned drivers.

tinitus said:
Delamination could be an issue with many diaphragms

Do you think about sandwich of different materials?
Another way is the ceramics used by Accuton which manufacture process gives a lot of air cells enhancing their dampening characteristic.
Also I remember some manufacturers (Cabasse?) use(d) very light and damped syntactic foam, sandwiched between two relatively stiff peels; the constrained folded peels give the stiffeness and the foam the dampening and lightness. Remarkable idea I find.

crazyhub said:
Another way is the ceramics used by Accuton which manufacture process gives a lot of air cells enhancing their dampening characteristic.

I'd really like to try those. Do they make a midbass that would go to 30-40hz?

Since I like ceramic in tweeters, i don't see why I shouldn't like it in the bass, where the advantages of rigid materials outweights the disadvantages :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.