Cone Materials Discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
Ruderalis is a sativa derivative and might be the hemp to which you allude? Sativa is the mothership that allows it and indica to become psychoactive, no?

There are 3 kinds of Canabis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis The actual taxony seems to be in flux.

Cannab2_new.png

Ruderalis is a short weed with no drug content and no practical application. It grows wild only -- little study has been done.

Indica is a drug plant (aka Afgani Hash Plants)

Sativa has the most strains from tall and spindly for fiber, heavy seed bearing for food & oil, short & bushy with high THC content...

Entrepnerial bbotonists have developed all sorts of sativa/indica crosses.

Cannabis_female_flowers_close-up.jpg

dave

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Thanx Dave, I was aware that sails were made from Hemp, but at the time that L.Strauss made his first dungarees I thought that most cloth was starting to be made from cotton because an industrial and mechanised method of spinning and carding the fibre had been developed which was making the use of hemp fibre uneconomical.

Like nettles hemp needs to be retted for a very long time ( in salt water ) to make the fibres strong and supple, where-as cotton was usable as soon as picked

Kevlar cones are a good bet. I've had a few from different manufacturers and all have worked with a 1st order xover, with the exception of one which seemed to produce a smoother response curve with no xover!
However, there seems to be a distinctive tonal quality which seems to emphasise the lower midband and upper bass frequencies.

In terms of sound quality, the good old paper cone seems, to my ears, the best, especially when it comes to speech material. I've managed low order xovers with paper as well.

rohacell, with carbon fiber covering,

may well be the new 'hi-end'

cone material ...

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...acell carbon fiber&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.clarasonic.com/en/rohacell_2.php

There are 3 kinds of Canabis.

the 4th kind.

altho most people call these 'Acer Palmatum',

the teenagers in the old hood knew,

this was 'Red Bud'

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

noted designer w/rohacell sandwich cone driver -

Attachments

• p660047160-3.jpg
    p660047160-3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 444
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thank you all for your contributions. I have found this very useful. From my experience, paper presents as the most subjectively neutral. However, this may be that its character coincides with my accepted and expected neutral sound, having grown up listening to mostly paper drivers. But, I have heard my share of live music, too!

Modern 'rigids' seem like the next logical step, though I do love polypropylene, admittedly for looks as well as its highly (sometimes overly) dampened tonality. I would like to give Kevlar drivers a whirl, also.

JF

I'm a real supporter of hard cone material, so I use Accuton ceramics mid and low drivers and Focal beryllium tweeters in my so called "reference" speaker; but I asked allways myself WHY manufacturers do not directly apply some thin dampening layers, assuming the lost efficiency would not be as huge...

crazyhub said:
I'm a real supporter of hard cone material, so I use Accuton ceramics mid and low drivers and Focal beryllium tweeters in my so called "reference" speaker; but I asked allways myself WHY manufacturers do not directly apply some thin dampening layers, assuming the lost efficiency would not be as huge...
Because normally it is quite huge when the damping becomes effective. Especially on drivers with higher frequency extension.

"but I asked allways myself WHY manufacturers do not directly apply some thin dampening layers, assuming the lost efficiency would not be as huge..."

JBL does on Titanium, Aluminum and Berylium diaphrams. They use coated tweeters and coated diaphrams in some of their compression drivers. The diaphrams are thin so the coating can be thin as well. It works well too and you don't loose that much efficiency.

Rob:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.