Computer based Hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Idiocratease do you use ASIO and foobar when you use XP? If not most likely kmixer/direct sound has been resampling your audio badly on the fly when you use XP.

No, I had it on 'good authority' from Marian that their drivers by passed the kmixer (assuming you're using the native sample rate of the input file). So I suppose this must be correct as they write the software, so I suspect that somethign else was going wrong.

Now however, I've ditches Marian Marc 2 and XP for the X-Fi under Win 7. Significant improvement.

No, I had it on 'good authority' from Marian that their drivers by passed the kmixer (assuming you're using the native sample rate of the input file). So I suppose this must be correct as they write the software, so I suspect that somethign else was going wrong.

Now however, I've ditches Marian Marc 2 and XP for the X-Fi under Win 7. Significant improvement.

Here's a couple of pics of the system...

...Zero noise from the PC, no fans, not hdd noise, no artefacts

I don't want to speak to soon.... But I genuinely feel as if I can stop messing around with the system and just listen... (Maybe when I get my next place some B&W 802D !)

Attachments

• IMG_5636.JPG
    IMG_5636.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_5637.JPG
    IMG_5637.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 667
I use a marian prodif pro with the "xp non resampling" marian drivers for xp and i did also detect some garbage in the high end of the spectrum. I used xp sp3 with foobar and found this problem using both A and D outputs in foobar. So I also figured Kmixer was still not shut off. So I set the marian asio driver in foobar and the problem is completely gone. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I use a marian prodif pro with the "xp non resampling" marian drivers for xp and i did also detect some garbage in the high end of the spectrum. I used xp sp3 with foobar and found this problem using both A and D outputs in foobar. So I also figured Kmixer was still not shut off. So I set the marian asio driver in foobar and the problem is completely gone. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm glad to know there is someone else who can kind of validate what I've observed. Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, and nice inexpensive option of the Creative X-Fi Titanium seems to work perfectly under Windows 7.

Cheers,

Sorry to interject, but I'm hung up on this asynchronous vs. adaptive stuff. I read this:

Asynchronicity: A USB Audio Primer | Computer Audiophile

So, basically, in order to use USB (which I have to with a Mac laptop, I don't see a digital out anywhere) without a ton of jitter, I'd have to buy a gazillion dollar DAC? There is just so much snake oil in this hobby...

Would you guys say for sure that it's best to not use USB?

Last edited:
Netdewt,

I use an Enhanced USB Monica from DIYParadise. I got the caseless version @ about $180 usd. Paired up with my Mac Mini running lossless files, this thing beats the pants off of any digital front-end in my system.

If you want to get a full on headache, read this whole thread here. I think the whole thing died when someone found this thing for $150 (still too rich for my blood considering you still need a quality DAC on the end of it.)

If you want to get a full on headache, read this whole thread here. I think the whole thing died when someone found this thing for $150 (still too rich for my blood considering you still need a quality DAC on the end of it.)

Wow, interesting...

A key factor in the reproduction of high quality audio, the reference design’s unique asynchronous clocking mode achieves sub-3ms roundtrip latency, making it suitable for live music playback. The credit card sized reference design board will suit the development of speakers, home theatre systems, sound cards, musical instruments and professional audio equipment.

Gordon Rankin, Chief Scientist at Wavelength Audio, a designer of award-winning USB DACs said, “I’m glad to see XMOS producing a USB Audio 2.0 solution that’s clearly focused on achieving excellent sound quality. In particular, its asynchronous mode is a vital ingredient in the reduction of digital audio jitter which results in superior sound reproduction.”

$150... hmm... https://www.xmos.com/products/development-kits/usbaudio2

Last edited:
USB works well for me...

My file format of choice is FLAC. I use EAC to rip copies of my CDs to my HDD. I use Foobar2000 for playback using the WASAPI plugin. I use an optical connection between my Xfi Xtreme Gamer soundcard and my modded Beresford TC7510 DAC. Amplification is curtesy of my DIY GS Novo to a pair of Grado SR80s.

Do you listen to music from your PC? How do you go about it?

I also use FLAC and Foobar2000, but use ASIOforAll V2. I've had really good luck with the USB interface using Doede Douma's design Description of the DDDAC1543 MK2 project and a 24 chip version of his DDDAC 1543 DAC. For the amp I am using a Cavalli Bijou with Grado 325i's. I've tried other DAC's, but I keep coming back to the DDDAC. I recently built the Buffalo from Twisted Pear, but it paled in comparison. Even more recently I completed "Franks Ultimate Linestage" to use with the Buffalo instead of the "IVY" linestage. While this did improve the Buffalo's sound, it still couldn't compete with the DDDAC. When I added Frank's linestage between the DDDAC and the Bijou, all I can say is wow! Talk about taking my setup to the next level (and I thought I was already close to being there...). I've decided that it will be worth the expense at some point to add 3 more DAC modules to bring the chip total up to 60 and really open the sound up.

Attachments

• DAC 169a.JPG
    DAC 169a.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 644
  • DAC 181a.JPG
    DAC 181a.JPG
    638.6 KB · Views: 599
  • DAC 182a.JPG
    DAC 182a.JPG
    594.8 KB · Views: 579
  • DAC 186a.JPG
    DAC 186a.JPG
    665.5 KB · Views: 475
  • DAC 190a.JPG
    DAC 190a.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 469
I use quite an array of kit but the core is:
Asus M3N78pro mobo, AMD X4 Phenom, Windows 7 64 Ultimate on Seagate 1.5 TB drive for music storage (actually 3 x 500 in RAID). Ripper is EAC, playback either XMPlay or Foobar - soundcard is Soundblaster Live USB at 24/96 and with the new Win 7 drivers from Creative it never sounded better. In fact the improvement over the previous 64bit XP set up astounded me. I rip my LP's via a Sansui AU777 or an AU6800 off a Thorens TD125 with rebuilt SME arm and Ortofon cartridge straight into the USB box. Always use WAV for LP's (via Wavelab and Wave plug-ins) and restore to FLAC; everything else ripped to FLAC. Listen thru ML Aerius speakers, Technics SE-A3 amp and Angstrom 200 front end. Extremely satisfied with results.

Hot tip: cPlay and cMP

I have an ASUS P5WD2 mobo with a Realtek a/d section capable of 24/192 processing. This mobo also has a SPDIF port that I prefer to use. I feed the SPDIF signal into a Behringer DEQ 2496 and this combo sounds just great. The Behringer has been set up for room correction and it's el-cheapo DAC is actually quite good. My only issue is keeping the Dual Code processor cool without blowing up a sonic storm. My next system upgrade will be a fanless cooler.

For software, I have finally settled on Media Monkey for playback and EAC for ripping. I rip to wav and the results are generally excellent.

Guys,

I just switched to cPlay for playback software and it is a significant improvement in sound quality over both Media Monkey and Foobar. Check out cMP² | Main / HomePage .

Hardware wise, I switched from the Asus Mobo's spdif output to a RME Hammerfall card running SPDIF to a modified Behringer DEQ2496 (AKM 4396 dac and BB opamp output stage)

Guys,

I just switched to cPlay for playback software and it is a significant improvement in sound quality over both Media Monkey and Foobar. Check out cMP² | Main / HomePage .

Hardware wise, I switched from the Asus Mobo's spdif output to a RME Hammerfall card running SPDIF to a modified Behringer DEQ2496 (AKM 4396 dac and BB opamp output stage)

I am working on the assumption that the bit perfect option in my Creative X-Fi card does exactly that. I suppose that there are minimal errors in the data transfer, and I have adopted an optical cable for galvanic isolation from the PC into a re-clocking DAC.

What I have learned is windows 7 gives a much purer sound that XP, which has been a revelation to me (also revealed by the new DAC).

Works very well:-

YouTube - idiocratease's Channel

Hello Idiocratease, Your system looks really great. The Chord DAC with it's buffer and clock re-generation obviates the need for a low jitter interface that the ASIO driver and cPlay offers. It will be interesting to compare a cPlay, cMp ASIO sound card combination against Windows 7 and the Creative Card played into the same Chord DAC.

Hello Idiocratease, Your system looks really great. The Chord DAC with it's buffer and clock re-generation obviates the need for a low jitter interface that the ASIO driver and cPlay offers. It will be interesting to compare a cPlay, cMp ASIO sound card combination against Windows 7 and the Creative Card played into the same Chord DAC.

Indeed, but I guess we are not so geographically close, though my sister does live in Niagara (well not in it of course :)

are any of you guys using a quality DAC like the apogee DA16 or Dave Lavry Blue for your PC playback systems? What is your impression of these?

I'm looking for a new multichannel interface/soundcard/DAC, these are on my short list.

Please help!

I have got neither but both are highly regarded in studio circles.
That said in blind tests it seems very difficult to tell the difference between the classy Apogee and the comparatively lowly Echo Audio AudioFire.
Apogee does not support Windows anymore btw.

Interesting Converter Comparisons ... - Home Recording

I have got neither but both are highly regarded in studio circles.
That said in blind tests it seems very difficult to tell the difference between the classy Apogee and the comparatively lowly Echo Audio AudioFire.
Apogee does not support Windows anymore btw.

Interesting Converter Comparisons ... - Home Recording

Are you kidding? I thought the 16x could still be used with windows? I know that the Ensemble is Mac only.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.