Computer based Hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So what You say is that those mall Dll:s is all what it takes?

I am sorry I do not understand the question.
Download and install ASIO4all, download and install the latest foobar. Foobar places itsel into the Program Files directory. So... in Program Files -> Foobar 2000 there is a component directory. Download the three components, fooASIO, wasapi, and ks, unzip them and copy the .dll files into the component directory. Once you start foobar it will recognize them as a part of itself. Now start foobar and you can go to File -> Preferences -> Output and choose which one to use. WASAPI should be the siomplest to start with ASIO requires some fiddleing.

Download dbPoweramp and isntall it. Fiddle with it and see how to rip into flac and get the tagging the way you want it.

Thanks!

Time 00:30 and just arrived at home from the Green Day concert in Stockholm. Now looking at Patriots vs Broncos. How good can it be.

Yea I was just wandering if those small Dlls was all that should be put into Foobar to get the things going, and it seems that so was the case. I had imagine some software with an exe file, lots of GUI etc.

billyk, I come back with a verdict when I have tried and listened. Thanks for Your support

I have now converted 6000 WAV files to FLAC files in a batch during a day when a was away (20 hours). The program worked great, but no metadata were created.

If I read the information in and about dbPoweramp it should use three different ways of tagging files (ID-tags etc) but I guess it ony reads from the origianl CD as the WAV file as empty of that kind of information. So I guess I´m lost anyway when it comes to CD information . . . Damned :)

The sound? - The same !

The needed diskspace ~30% less

The Sound? Haven´really desided yet. Foobar acts a little bit strange with the plugins. The ASIO shows on different places both were its possible to choose output direction and in another set up place as well where it must be clicked in or the player is absolutely quiet.

Haven´t had the time to really listen yet. Just been fiddleing around for a short while to try to understand why it look and act that it does....

Maybe a first reaction to the sound would be - Ligher and maybe more "air". Both not really what I need at the moment as i switched to balanced silver fourtwinned signal cables a while ago and they are a little more "light and airy" than I really wanted.

Thanks again guys,
I´ll try out both of them to descide which one to use.

The sound FLAC or WAV ? ->The same
The sound with Foobar plugins (ASIO etc) or not? -> Little bit lighter, more air (possible thanks to less distorsion)

You guys in US (or UK) where is the best place to buy Thiel&Parnter loudspeaker elements. Need "a few" C220-T6´s for a small project. No one on ebay, and can´t google up any good place for buying these element (that also ships abroad).

This has been a problem for me with the two 64b-Vista that I have. The two D-Link NAS on the network doesn´t show up in the explorer. They have to be mapped with the D-link software to show up. Even with that done they just dont appear in some program etc.

I have had Serious discussions with D-link about this as they are persistant in syaing that it is nothing they can do. But every other item (PCs, NAS, writer, router etc) on the network works fine except for their hardware . . .

Anyway I manage to get them visible at last and have now put tags into all my CDs one by one. Works well. Mp3taghas great functions for converting file name to tags which suits me perfect as I have named all the music files with the information normally used in tags. Great program You let me know about.

Are only missing one thing in Mp3tag, and that is to the upload information to the Freedb. Found about 50 CD that´hasn´t any information there and I really like to contribute (lika in EAC).

The sound FLAC or WAV ? ->The same
The sound with Foobar plugins (ASIO etc) or not? -> Little bit lighter, more air (possible thanks to less distorsion)

If you are so sure then take a song and make two secure copies (1 wav and 1 flac) load them into foobar's playlist. Highlight both tracks, left click>utilities>ABX two tracks. Then see if you can actually identify one from the other.

If you are so sure then take a song and make two secure copies (1 wav and 1 flac) load them into foobar's playlist. Highlight both tracks, left click>utilities>ABX two tracks. Then see if you can actually identify one from the other.

The listening test is not sensitive enough. Most people can't hear the difference between 320K MP3 files and a real CD. and if they listened would conclude that they are the same.

The way to test for sure is to do a round trip WAV-->FLAC-->WAV encoding and compare the double transcoded wave file to the original bit per bit. A good way to do this if you don't have a binary file compare utility is to go into an editor like Audicity or Logic and subtract one WAV from the other and then check for anything other then dead silence.

There is really no point in doing the test because we know that FLAC, Apple Losses and the other "loss less" formats are in fact loss less and 100% bit accurate

That said, You might have buggy software. If you can find a bit error then it's the software not the file format to blame

There is really no point in doing the test because we know that FLAC, Apple Losses and the other "loss less" formats are in fact loss less and 100% bit accurate

Are they really loss less? I thought they were lossy, just not as lossy as MP3.

Hmmm. now I'll have to do some tests. Most of the analog stuff I save I capture in SoundForge and capture/save the files at 96khz 24bit which end up being pretty large. If I can .flac them and not lose anything. . .

If not for that I wouldn't need nearly so many TB of storage space.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Windows Media Audio 9 Lossless is a lossless audio codec by Microsoft, released in early 2003.

It compresses an audio CD to a range of 206 to 411MB, at bit rates of 470 to 940 kbit/s. The result is a bit-for-bit duplicate of the original audio file; in other words, the audio quality on the CD will be the same as the file when played back. WMA Lossless uses the same .WMA file extension as other Windows Media Audio formats. It supports 6 discrete channels and up to 24-bit/96kHz lossless audio.

How does this stack up to FLAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.