Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Affirmative

I am trying to Sim the paraflex in hr, but how do you connect the rear chamber to the front chamber, did you use a TH type to make it work?

USRFobiwan ,

That is correct ... You make a Super Planar Paraflex using TH mode with "rear vented" chamber , and keep the L45 short , in the 10cm to 30cm range ..... The 3x CSA flare in the main path only needs to happen near the very end , and that is also where the paths merge :)...

I am trying to Sim the paraflex in hr, but how do you connect the rear chamber to the front chamber, did you use a TH type to make it work?

USRFobiwan ,
Here are the inputs i used for your ESX 10" driver in a PARAFLEX style Super Planar .. I drove it with around 200 watts (30v) to keep the Xmax within the linear range ..

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_ESX_10_for_USRFOBIWAN.png

Dustin's Paraflex

Here are some photos from Dustin's PARAFLEX style Super Planar build ..... This was intended for car audio, loaded with a Soundstream T5 Tarantula 12" driver (not ideal parameters but will work well enough for this Proof Of Concept) ...

152 liter net, with a 28hz fundamental tuning ..

As you might notice in the last few photos he cut a rectangular hole out of the front facing panel on the short path, this hole will be covered and sealed with Plexiglass ... He wanted a window so that he could monitor the cone's movement :)

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz.png

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Early_Build_2.jpg

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Early_Build_3.jpg

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Late_build_3.jpg

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Late_build_5.jpg

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Late_build_6.jpg

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_T5_12_152_L_28hz_Late_build_7.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn't watching the output and the wizard suggested a flare for this one - what might be a good single PA310 Paraflex?

https://i.imgur.com/NZWNaLa.jpg

Freddi ,

You have the right idea there, although that is more driver-offset than i would normally use it looks like your model is working well :)

Enabling "Lossy Le" may call for a small increase in the path's CSA ...

The goofiest!

goof job.

I can't wait for the measurements

Goofy jobs are more fun than serious jobs! ;)
:p
Thank you ..

I am also looking forward to Dustin's reports .... He doesn't own the means to take solid response measurements at the moment but he might be able to use a friend's RTA, we will see ..... Dustin is very resourceful and he is definitely determined to come up with some sort of useful data for us :) ... ..

Last edited:
This could be useful for some

I was asked about how well a couple of Cadence 8" subwoofers might work in a Paraflex Style Super Planar .................. The parameters were suitable and the model looked good to me so i went ahead and put this following image (below) together as a demonstration and explanation about how a Paraflex model's Hornresp inputs can be translated to a fold ...

It is not a perfect sketch but it close enough to get the point across about how this is done .. :) .......

PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofer_2x_Cadence_CVL500s_147_liter_net_--_40.png

I am thinking about applying this format to a different fold ..

Well done! =D

even tho a single 5mm xmax 12 isn't an air pump, 5-7dB advantage and greatly reduced excursion in where drum toms tune is pretty good (the final comparison is Brian's lower tuned Boom Unit)

https://i.imgur.com/NG1B0rL.jpg

Looking good there Freddi !! :happy2:

With the Paraflex style Super Planar we do sacrifice bandwidth but the output and efficiency is tremendous! :nod:

The cabinet is also much larger than a offset-driver quarter wave pipe ....... The size of the Paraflex and Super Planar 8th are more like what you might expect from FLH designs . .

Last edited:
and the other tradeoff for the more efficient = less lows in proportion. Here's a rough attempt to compare the PA310 Paraflex to a Karlson half its size - I don't know in reality if the K would do even this well on the low end plus it seems to be working awfully hard compared to the Paraflex in the 80-110Hz region - still its good in the sim for 40v https://i.imgur.com/P6VQr35.jpg

Last edited:
Correct

Totally right guys .

The big cabinets and sacrificed bandwidth are the compromises we make for that increased efficiency ... . There is no free lunch it seems .....

Hoffman's Iron law is tough but yet we try to hammer away at it , just trying to bend it , at least just a little :smash::whip: :headbash: :violin:

The Super Planar 8th's cabinet volume is comparable to large Front Loaded Horns (FLH) but with better efficiency and a sacrifice of bandwidth ..

The Paraflex style Super Planar allows us to have a smaller cabinet but we have to sacrifice even more bandwidth , at least that is the case with most drivers ...... There are some strong PA drivers that extend our upper bandwidth up fairly high in a Paraflex optimized for increased bandwidth. We can get out towards 180hz-200hz on the high-end depending upon a few things , i first noticed this when modeling the 18TBW100 a while back (when i called this the "badass bandpass") , but also works with the 18DS115 and iPAL 18 (especially well with the iPAL 18 according to the model Dustin just put together) .......

You can make an extended bandwidth version of the Paraflex by squeezing down the CSA of our short resonator and lengthening it (i went with 1000cm sq CSA and 90cm length for the 18DS115 box), then reduce the main path's expansion ratio (i went with 2:1 for the 18DS115) .... There is quite a savings in cabinet volume getting us down to below 350 liters but it isn't as efficient in the 60hzto 90hz range compared to the 450 liter Paraflex which has more if it's energy focused below 100hz ..