Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Nice work with the 8! The fold does have a lot of wasted space tho.

MMJ, no internet access in LV??? I'm on my cell 95% of the time on this site!

BP1Fan,
I was looking forward to getting a vacation away from social networking and the internet, i even left the laptop at home ..... It was a nice escape for a few days :D

And about Mr Vansickle's fold:
It was before we came up with more folding schemes.... He told me he had plans for the wasted space, going to mount an amplifier in there or something ... I don't think it was ever used that way, at least i suppose not since he has kept that area paneled over in the pictures I have seen.....

The folding definitely could have been rearranged or refined to get rid of the wasted space if he was more concerned about it ..

mmj, what I meant was that in competition usually they use one note (frequency) for getting the high spl. most of the time box tuning frequency or even better the cabin gain frequency.

USRFobiwan,

Oh yes, those boxes :p .....

The peaky one-note SPL cabinets used in car audio competition are notoriously bad for music reproduction but with the Super Planar 8th we can have our SPL along with enough bandwidth to be musical all at the same time .... "Like having your cake and eating it too" as long as you don't mind the LARGE enclosure :)

.......Thus concludes today's shameless promotion of the Super Planar 8th design ... Hehehe:D..

Last edited:
MMJ, well i can try to build a planar car sub with a 10inch ESX woofer (Specs) I have currently sitting in a BFM autotuba I build for my brother. Which is a great automotive reasonable sized subhorn, however because of the long horn inside it, its bass is waaaay behind the front-door/dash speakers output. And delaying in a car very expensive especaly DSP units which can delay.

Last edited:
MMJ, well i can try to build a planar car sub with a 10inch ESX woofer (Specs) I have currently sitting in a BFM autotuba I build for my brother. Which is a great automotive reasonable sized subhorn, however because of the long horn inside it, its bass is waaaay behind the front-door/dash speakers output. And delaying in a car very expensive especaly DSP units which can delay.

Pioneer has a multimedia deck that has the time alignment feature for a cost of around $100. It's not that expensive these days - just a matter of choosing the correct head unit.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Digital+Media+Receivers/MVH-S501BS

Updates for Luca and Akvaro

Akvaro and Luca ,

I wanted to get back to you guys about the drivers that were in post#474 (links from the Italian car audio website) .....

The published parameters for the MD Lab SW-C12 definitely do model very well , but as Akvaro had pointed out there is a lot of vital information that is not listed in the ad ...... There is also no guarantee that the parameters listed are accurate without verification .... At that price it is tempting but risky ....

Other drivers from that website that might have potential (under 200€)

Ground Zero GZRW 300X

Ground Zero GZRW 12D2

Alphard Machete M12 (Qts is a little higher on this one but low Vas.. Would need to model it to see if we could get it to behave)

I am sure there are more potential options on that website but i stopped looking at 200€

I might have a way

is there a functional k-ized variant ? - or just a dumb lens and konfusing kavity? https://i.imgur.com/RZkWM7n.jpg

Freddi ,
I do have an idea about how a K-slot may work with one of these cabinets with the fundamental tuned up in the 60hz to 70hz range ... So a sort of kickbin/midbass or maybe a bass guitar cabinet, or something that could be used in place of a classic K-cab...... I will put together a simple sketch for it ....

Last edited:
Ok , no problem

USRFobiwan ,

I will model that ESX driver in a Super Planar 8th to see how it looks :)..

Last edited:
NEW THINGS .... COMPARED =D

You guys might really like this :D.....

Time for an introduction...

USRFobiwan, your ESX driver does model well in a Super Planar 8th , although the cabinet ends up being very large for a single 10 ...... We have been working on developing a new variant of the Super Planar that can be made much smaller with only minor loss in performance .... It is something that i have been hinting around about lately ;).

We are calling this new variant the PARAFLEX ...... The first Super Planar Paraflex (a proof of concept) is being built right now by our friend Dustin Morgan in Florida ......

Super_Planar_VS_PARAFLEX_horn_subwoofers_ESX_SX1040_35hz_tunin.png

Dustin has sent me a bunch of his build pics, and he is nearly done as of today ...... I will post the photos here for all to see .........

If the Paraflex meets our expectations then we will have another very useful design option :nod:

Last edited:
real world versus sim observations and other topics

here's what looks to be a six of one case for a given bulk - I think the Super Planar would win around tuning due to vent compression with a practical vent

https://i.imgur.com/WZmhXjs.jpg

Freddi,
Right , there are performance and bandwidth limitations with the mass loading being used that way ... ..... With the Super Planar tops that we have made we found out that our high-tuned short resonator path without any mass loading has much more upper bandwidth than Hornresp suggests making the design very useful ....

Since most of the upper response emerges from the short tuned path in our Super Planar tops then it also means that it reduces the path length induced delay on the upper end of the cabinet's response (relative to direct radiators) which USRFobiwan is trying to get away from somewhat when it comes to the Autotuba FLH with it's long path and delay for the entire spectrum of it's output......

Freddi , that is an interesting way to recyle the old port-assisted W-bin design though, with the ports on the front no longer being tuned to 1 octave below the horn's cutoff but instead would be tuned very high and used to fill-in the midbass response hole well above the horn's tuning :) I have seen a few scoops set up this way .... I can post images of them if you like ....

Last edited:
Another idea for Freddi

Freddi,
:bulb:
A fun K-experiment would be to convert those ports on the front of that port-assisted horn cab into a vertical slot (full cab height) to see if it behaves anything like a K-slot !! If the bandpass cutoff isn't too abrupt then it could be your answer to a Super Planar K-Variant!! :happy2:

I have another possible way to install a K-Slot onto a Super Planar , i just have to make a sketch for it ..... I would probably not have such an abrupt bandpass cutoff and may allow for some extended bandwidth ..:scratch2:

Last edited:
I like the one on the lower left , and the one on the upper right

Some more layout ideas:

y4mcqojVGQuNmh_K3m5EtDDX2R87fBD4TRQpNs1Mr3t_t8OU7cbTSChp4k_CWT9CWMazxIO37Pv-i0pNPfdaivVPa4fWhjaujMmPQLigqRnYTOBCcFRtlLRMxumrd6sKJiNrf70mQBzpEE_j2NQ1W3vpeBkqvxywBuX2UdxpT7z-zfc3lVXh0ynWK45WrKfTvEg0jwe7zRMgD0pFnOtodxDpQ

USRFobiwan ,

Something to keep in mind here (some rough rules of thumb) :

• The expanded resonator on our main path will ideally be around at least 3x the CSA of the slender portion ..... 3:1 or 4:1 (when practical) seems to be a sufficient ratio for good performance if that section is made around 90cm long for tuning in the 30hz to 40hz range ..... If you want to make that expanded section a little shorter then go with the higher end of the ratios like 4:1 or 5:1 ... If you watch how it effects the Hornresp model you can see how changing this ratio & resonator length shifts the midband resonant hump up or down (meaning the middle resonance out of the three main ones that we are juggling here) ....................................... NOTE: The rules change with the PARAFLEX since we are sharing volume between chambers due to the merging at the end of the paths. .. .

• Also keep in mind that it is ideal to have the short path somewhat shorter than the main path's expanded resonator (meaning the high tuned path needs to be shorter, sometimes called rear/front chamber , it is technically "rear vented" in Hornresp) ...... That is why i prefer your sketch on the lower left , and also the sketch on the upper right , those examples have the right relationships .......... This method staggers the resonances in the right order ..

Last edited: