• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

For Sale Complete Troels TL-1

Things you have for sale.
Hi JT,
Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated.

As regards DriveRacks, the ones commonly used in sound reinforcement, e.g., the PA2, the 260—no experience yet with the Venu 360—don't qualify in my experience, for use in hi-fi systems. Compared to those or to the mini-DSP models, the now-discontinued 4800 and 4820 are in my opinion far better. Some studios use them to run their main monitors. I only wish dbx had come up with a replacement for them as I'm sure they'd benefit from advancements in digital technology, since their design goes back to 2003. The Zapco processor you mention looks very promising, though I'm restricted to balanced XLR connections so they wouldn't work for me. But I've got a couple of DACs that use the ESS 9038Pro chip and have only good things to say about them. I do slightly prefer the some AKM-based DACs, although of course one is always hearing a DAC through the manufacturer's analogue output circuitry, which is just as important.

But. . .to your TL-1s. . .

1. How exactly did you follow Troels Gravesen's build plan? As I'm sure you know, he's very specific even about what damping materials to use inside the cabinet and where to put them: 8 mm felt in certain places, Acoustilux (not sure what that is) in other places. Or the type and position of the bracing he prescribes. These are just examples that come readily to mind. And if you didn't always follow his specs exactly, could you explain at what points you departed from them?
So first of all I ordered the full kit from Troels/Jantzen which includes all of the damping material to spec. The internal wiring etc is also all provided by Jantzen. So living in US it wasn't as easy as going to the hardware store and picking up the baltic birch thicknesses prescribed by Troels. So I first built them in CAD (Fusion 360) and made it so the internal volume and front dimensions matched his dimensions exactly. I can't remember top of head if in the end depth is more or less by a few mm but it's very close due to slight differences in material dimensions. So all external panels are 1" baltic birch. I'll have to take a peek inside again as I don't remember what I used for bracing but am pretty sure it's as good as what he called for. I have the CAD I used for my plans so could send that over for your review. I did not receive any detailed build plans in the kit but rather had to get most of the info from his main page. So again, tuning/volume and front dimensions are the same and that is what practically matters from an acoustics standpoint. I have a CNC machine and used CNC to cut front baffle and some bracing but rest of it was easier just to run on a table saw.
2. You mention you used the 252 amp instead of the FA501 that TG uses. Assuming that's the FA252, is there any difference between a bridged 252 and a non-bridged 501? As you can see from (1) above, I'm deliberately being quite neurotic about wanting to exactly duplicate what TG did and wanting to be certain even small changes would not change performance. Also in this "slavishly following TG" way of thinking, would you be able to specify what changes you made to which passive crossover components so that I could, if I wished, restore the passive crossover to TG's original design?
So this is what came with the kit from Troels/Jantzen. I think there is a difference in that the FA252 doesn't have speaker level inputs but otherwise I think the FA501 is the same from power/snr perspective.

3. For shipping to my location, around US$1K seems, alas, quite possible, as I imagine, at around 200 lbs. each, they'll have to be crated and palletized—plus that UHF driver perched on top will need special protection, and the shipper will have to clear them through Canadian Customs.
Of course I'd take care and pack appropriately. Last time I did this with LX521's I recorded the packing process and got buyer's thumbs up before shipping (could do FaceTime/video chat). I could likely provide him as a reference if you feel the need.

4. I could make do without the 18N682s in your cabs and simply mount the ones I already have. I think I paid more than US$1K for mine—will have to check. But, in principal, the idea of funding the shipping by you keeping the woofers works for me.
I'd say it'd save weight too but those are pretty light woofers for 18's:).

5. In conclusion, I am serious about purchasing your TL-1s at the price you have quoted and would appreciate what you call "a real quote" for getting them to Toronto, ON, Canada M6P 4H3. I understand that may take awhile.
Ok, I'll get to work on that. Just a warning this week is a little crazy with several work projects coming due this Friday but will target getting it put together by the weekend. I'll contact you via PM when I have this information.

Let me know what you think. Regards, JT.

I checked the specs of the Hypex FA252 and you're right; unlike the FA501, it doesn't have the high-level input.
That may, or may not, be an issue for me. I'm not sure at this point because I don't know if one has to power the TL-1 differently using the 252 than when using the 501. Will I need a preamplifier with two sets of outputs to use the TL-1 the way you have it configured? Don't have one of those! Or would I need an external crossover to deliver the correct frequencies to the LF section and the sections filtered by the passive crossover?

I believe Troels recommendation is to just split the output from your preamplifier. If you have questions about this I'd reach out to Troels directly as he usually responds to questions pretty quickly. This is what came in the kit, not sure if they were out of FA501 but he provided the Hypex DSP settings for FA252 specifically. No external crossover as the Hypex has DSP built in.... For me I had no intention of using high level inputs. The FA252 also supports digital input but I believe some delay changes MAY be required. Troels would be your best source to answer questions here!

I will indeed check with Troels.

But now that I think about it, since, with your TL-1s, one needs to connect the preamplifier to two different power amplifiers via line-level outputs, there's really only two ways to accomplish that: (1) use a preamp with two sets of outputs that can be used simultaneously. or (2) use, as you've suggested, a "splitter" cable.

That's a concern for me as I don't have that type of preamp and have not had good results using splitter cables.

Should I assume, then, that with the TL-1s you've been using a preamp that has two sets of outputs?

Will let you know what TG says about this issue.

— Joel.

Joel,

When you do get around to pricing the cost of shipping the TL-1s, please make sure it is for delivery to my door and that it includes clearing the shipment through customs. From previous experience I know that many cartage companies often quote a price that assumes the consignee will do his own customs clearance and also collect the pallets at their local warehouse—which I am not able to do.

For what it's worth, I recently had two subwoofers (160 lbs. each in their cartons) shipped from Rhythmik Audio in Texas. They used UPS Freight—though the name has since changed. My payment to them for shipping was an all-inclusive package: all I had to do was confirm that I'd be at my unit (it's a commercial building) on a given day to receive the pallets. That's what I have in mind.

If this proves to be too complicated, or too expensive, I'll be sorry, but that's the only way I can do it. Shall wait to hear from you probably early next week. Thanks, (also) Joel.

Troels agrees that, with the FA252, the only two options are a preamp with two sets of outputs or a splitter cable.

He also suggests that a properly designed preamp with two sets of outputs will perform better than using a splitter cable.
So I have used both preamp with multiple outputs (RME ADI-2) and splitter depending on my given scenario and had no audible impact to my ears. I spent a little time thinking through this and reading some professional opinions and it really shouldn't impact things assuming A) preamp has low output impedance, B) Amps have high input impedance (54k for FA252), C) Preamp is robust enough meaning it can provide enough current for slightly lower apparent impedance. Regardless of the amplifier impedance the preamp will try to supply the same voltage. If it has enough current output I can't really see what would be impacted except damping factor. Some do prefer speaker level inputs because any character amps impart is translated to the woofer as well....

Joel,

When you do get around to pricing the cost of shipping the TL-1s, please make sure it is for delivery to my door and that it includes clearing the shipment through customs. From previous experience I know that many cartage companies often quote a price that assumes the consignee will do his own customs clearance and also collect the pallets at their local warehouse—which I am not able to do.

For what it's worth, I recently had two subwoofers (160 lbs. each in their cartons) shipped from Rhythmik Audio in Texas. They used UPS Freight—though the name has since changed. My payment to them for shipping was an all-inclusive package: all I had to do was confirm that I'd be at my unit (it's a commercial building) on a given day to receive the pallets. That's what I have in mind.

If this proves to be too complicated, or too expensive, I'll be sorry, but that's the only way I can do it. Shall wait to hear from you probably early next week. Thanks, (also) Joel.
This shouldn't be an issue and is in line with what I did last time (Fedex freight). I'll have to spend some time weighing, planning crating strategy, and shopping for quotes this weekend. I totally get your concerns and will ensure your requirements are met when shopping:)

To continue my speaker building hobby I’m posting a complete pair of Troels Gravesen’s “The Loudspeaker“ TL-1 which you can look into easily with a simple web search if you are not familiar. This version uses the Hypex plate amplifier for subwoofer duty and based on its efficiency only requires a handful of watts to drive the top end. I’ve been happy driving it with 300b tube amp as well as solid state amps including a DIY Pass Aleph-J. They also sound great with several class a/b amps. Describing sound is very subjective so I’ll just make a few observations based on my opinion. The crossover as designed by Troels seemed a little mid range centric to my liking so I very slightly padded the midrange (in midrange cabinet easily removable). Overall the presentation is the most dynamic I’ve heard to date from any speaker. These speakers are very smooth sounding and capable of playing to ear bleeding levels. Of all the speakers I’ve owned it seems friends and family connect with these more than anything else I’ve had because they are easy to listen to yet present detail and dynamics in a way few other speakers can. I’m a FOH engineer and regularly get to mess with PA gear and can say with confidence that the 18N862 is the best sounding woofer I’ve encountered!

Here are some additional details on the build:
  1. Crossover uses superior caps on the midrange and alumen-z on horn and super tweeter.
  2. The Hypex used is bridged 252 instead of 501 as provided in kit (original USB program for woofers is included as well as plans)
  3. The build is out of 1“ Baltic birch built by me
  4. I contracted out the finishing in rosewood with black painted baffle. The quality of finish is like 8/10; I wasn’t thrilled with what I got compared to previous finishes obtained using a different furniture maker but it’s decent. I’ll add some additional photos to show you what I mean. I have ~$1500 is the finishing not including my cost to build the cabinets which easily is $500+ (1” Baltic Birch where I live is very expensive now)
  5. Current cost of kit without any fees/shipping is $2513 USD + cost of drivers from Lean Business UK is $2529.09 again not including any fees/shipping
Any questions please feel free to ask! Current pictures are ones I provided to Troels for his website but will take more detailed pictures this evening of crossover etc. I’d prefer to keep sale local to Denver area but have shipped LX521’s via freight carrier previously so can entertain that if there is interest….. Asking price is $4500. Don’t hesitate if there are any questions….

Did you sell ?