Complete mod of the AMP6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
complete mod of amp six

I have a basic question on building an amp 6 basic, I need advice on selecting the correct gain for my application. I will be feeding the input with a NAD CD player Vout is 2.2v and running through the preout section of NAD AV receiver. What would be the most benificial gain setting, as speakers are 89db sens three way config rated at 6ohm.

Anybody else have problems getting on the 41hz site?

Been doing a few mods to my Amp6 and was thinking about trying better output inductors if worth it, any idea's regarding better coils?

I currently use 2.2uf Auricaps for coupling, may give the 4.7uf Siemans MKV a try next although they are huge, I have some Jenson PIO but they are only 0.47uf

Nice work on your amp panomaniac:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have not put anything bigger at C18/19, but the biggest high quality cap you can get in there will certainly help.

I always added an outboard 10,000uF cap tied to C18/19 or sometimes two.

In the Trends mods that I do now I'm using 2x2700uF Panasonic FM with very good results. They are too big to fit snug against the PCB, but they still work nicely. Something that size or bigger on the AMP6 should be great.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: complete mod of amp six

dzampella said:
I need advice on selecting the correct gain for my application

Use the low gain setting. That is where the input and feedback resistors are the same value. E.G., 22K.

With a normal 2V CD player, you'll begin to clip at about 1:30 on the volume knob. So you have plenty of gain.

panomaniac said:
I have not put anything bigger at C18/19, but the biggest high quality cap you can get in there will certainly help.

I always added an outboard 10,000uF cap tied to C18/19 or sometimes two.

In the Trends mods that I do now I'm using 2x2700uF Panasonic FM with very good results. They are too big to fit snug against the PCB, but they still work nicely. Something that size or bigger on the AMP6 should be great.

Thanks Michael:)
I just tried a 4700uf Panasonic FA for C18/19 but the bass seemed to be less tight and a little bloated, maybe its down to the type of cap.
Unfortunately Farnell over here only seem to stock 2200uf and no 2700uf FM's, I've not tried the FM series yet, would you say these are better sonically than the FC's? I'm going to give the higher BC136's a go too.
I've compared a 470uf BC136 against a 470uf FC in C1819 and found the BC to sound much better in my system at least so will be interesting to see how the larger values sound.
Its all good fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.