Comparing LME49810, 49830 and 49811

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bas,

No sign of oscillation when tested with 8Ohm and 4Ohm resistive load. The output was monitored by a 500 MHz scope. I will make more test including square wave after Chinese New Year.

Panson

Dear Panson,

I guess it is due a PCB design error from mine. Most likely the sink and source PCB lines to close to each other.

Already advanced happy new year! ;) And thanks for all the info and good work. I am sure we all learn a lot from it.

With kind regards,
Bas

Hi!:)

I'm building the 49830 version with IRFP9240/240 and I'm trying to figure out wich bias setup should I use. I can go with traditional Vbe multiplier (with Q1 fixed to the heatsink), 4 1n4004 diodes in contact with the mosfets, or BD139's connected as diodes.
Wich of these would be best?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Paulo.

Hi!:)

I'm building the 49830 version with IRFP9240/240 and I'm trying to figure out wich bias setup should I use. I can go with traditional Vbe multiplier (with Q1 fixed to the heatsink), 4 1n4004 diodes in contact with the mosfets, or BD139's connected as diodes.
Wich of these would be best?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Paulo.

Hi Paulo,

I have tried to use two BD139 diodes each mounted on top of an output device http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/143163-comparing-lme49810-49830-49811-a-6.html#post1840314. This offers faster thermal tracking.

Panson

Last edited:
Help!!! I fried my speakers!!!:(

I need help understanding what I did wrong so I don't blow my other speakers and became speakerless!

The tweeters are fine but the woofers died! Was it DC at the output? Was it oscilation? Too much bias voltage? Was it because I changed some values of the capacitors? Please help me understanding so I don´t do it again!

Thank you,
Paulo.

I tested the amp with the speakers connected.
First I couldn't get bias more than half a volt. I measured bias connecting 2 10R resistors in series with the power rails and used ohms law. After trying diverent bias setups I decided to remove R23 (180R) of the power board. Now I could mesure more voltage across the 10R resistors. I adjusted the trimpot so I have 5V across the resistors. Took them out and connected the speakers. First I heard a repetitive noise like someone hiting a drum, over and over. After that the woofer was fried.

Thanks,
Paulo.

I've search for the bulb tester. My PSU is fine. I'm thinking it was a bias problem that blew the woofers. Now I have both channels working. Only a few mV DC at the outputs. I connected the speakers and seems working fine. I like the sound of this amp! But I'm afraid to have the speakers connected for more than a few seconds... Should I be afraid? after all, there is almost no DC at the outputs - is DC the only thing that can damage speakers? Can I be confident the amp is ok and not going to damage the speakers? What about oscilation - how do I know it's not oscilanting in a frequence I can´t hear? I don't have a scope so i can't see the waveforms at the output.

Thanks,
Paulo.

Help!!! I fried my speakers!!!:(

I need help understanding what I did wrong so I don't blow my other speakers and became speakerless!

The tweeters are fine but the woofers died! Was it DC at the output? Was it oscilation? Too much bias voltage? Was it because I changed some values of the capacitors? Please help me understanding so I don´t do it again!

Thank you,
Paulo.

Hi Paulo,

Is you amp 49830 MOSFET? Did you adjust the bias with measurement either the current or voltage drop across any 0.22R emitter resistor? Was it adjustable? Did you short the input+ to ground and measure the output DC level? What value of the compensation cap do you use?

You should have the bias level and output DC level stable (say measure them for 10 min). The bias level may move up or down slowly due to heat sink temperature. The DC level must be very stable.

To check oscillation without a scope, you can connect a dummy load to the output (8Ohm power resistor). Input should be shorted to ground. If the resistor is getting warm, you have osc problem. You can also make a envelop detection circuit to rectify the osc waveform to DC. It consist of a small signal diode and RC filter. However, if the osc level is too low to turn on the diode. it does not work.

Assume the osc is 100 kHz, 100 mVpeak, the circuit below can help you to detect it.
Panson

Attachments

• envelop det.JPG
    envelop det.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Hi Panson! :)

Hi Paulo,

Is you amp 49830 MOSFET? Did you adjust the bias with measurement either the current or voltage drop across any 0.22R emitter resistor? Was it adjustable? Did you short the input+ to ground and measure the output DC level? What value of the compensation cap do you use?

Yes, I'm using the LME49830 with IRFP240/9240.

Did you adjust the bias with measurement either the current or voltage drop across any 0.22R emitter resistor? Was it adjustable?

No, I mesured bias connecting two big 10R resistors between the power rails of the PSU (+-50V) and the amp. First I got only about 0.5 V not adjustable. Then I removed R23 (180R) from the power module, went back to the traditional Vbe multiplier connecting B+ and B- and using a BD139 fixed to one of the mosfets. This way it became adjustable and I got up to 5-6V across the big 10R resistors (that means 500-600mA, right?).

Did you short the input+ to ground and measure the output DC level?
I mesured the DC level but with the inputs open...

What value of the compensation cap do you use?
I used the BOM value - 15pF Silver Mica. The ones I bought have printed on them: "ACLD15R D150D 0645". Seems to be 15pF... or maybe 150pF???

I'm also worried about the electrolytics whose values I've changed. The 330 and 390uF were too big and I got 100uF instead... What are the consequences of this change? I also changed the 820uF on the power board for 2200uF (big one!) and because I mounted the boards in right angle position the electros on the driver board had to be short - that's the reason I changed them for smaller 100uF ones! Is this bad?

ou should add a speaker protector which cut off the speaker for the present of DC. Here is a simple circuit for your reference.
I bought this exact kit from eBay some time ago! It´s the exact same circuit but I forgot it and never assembled it!!! Should've known better... :(

Can an oscilating amplifier, not heardable on speakers, cause them to fail or the only thing I should be concern about is DC at the output?

Thank you Panson! Your help is very important! :)

Regards,
Paulo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.