• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Commercial Gainclone kit- building instructions

Dear Peter, im planning to mount and test the LM4780 or LM3875 kits that I purchased in an MonoBlock design, I was thinking abt use aluminium instead an heatsink, want to know if you test it. I see that you use no heatsinks in some of your amps using copper/aluminium.

I want to know if you measure the volume of the aluminium to see how is the minimum to get an optimal chip temperature.

I was thinking about use an aluminium of like 10cm x 15cm x 1cm You think that this will work? I really want an small piece, but don’t want to get it too hot!

Btw have you some LM4780 pic of Bottom and top with components on it? I don’t finish it because really don’t know wich are the pcs that I really needs!

Thanks in advance.

slight buzz

Peter, I completed one of your 3875 kits last weekend and it sounds great :D . Only issue I have is an audible buzz that is noticeable when you are very close to either loudspeaker. The level of buzz is not affected by volume - still there with volume control at minimum. Doesn't affect music listening but I'm curious what is causing it and how I might resolve it. Note - no hum at all - followed your earthing advice! This forum provided excellent build support - thanks!! Mark

Which Schematic

Peter...

Which schematic are you using for the amp portion (LM3875)?

I have at least 6 versions... is it the "minimal" with only 4 resistors & no capacitors?

2nd question... How does one order the Black gate caps with the kit? It looks like even the premium kit does not include these?

3rd question... Can one use a CD player w/ volume control drive the Gainclone when not using a pot, IE using the CD player volume control?

Thanks in advance.

MDH

With kits I use schematic posted here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1508778#post1508778

The Integrated amp uses Premium kit components, including Panasonic FC caps, with exception of 220R Caddocks which are simply omitted.

With Patek, I'm using parts as in attachment.

I'm not selling Black Gates, as they are discontinued. AFAIK, BG STD 1000/50 are still available, BG N 100/50 not any more.

A volume control in CD player will work fine, although the sound quality may not be exactly the same as using quality pot directly at amp's input.

Attachments

• gc new.jpg
    gc new.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,332
Capacitors ?

Peter...

Thank you for the information.

Two further questions... I'm ready to build using the Patec schematic.

1) Since the BG's are not available what brand / value are needed for the PS caps and the AMP caps?

2) If I use no pot, is a series resistor needed at the signal input? Say 200R.

Best regards,

MDH