Columbus DIY Audio Club

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The rest of the guys may not be monitoring the forum very closely.

I have a 3 day weekend coming up with Presidents day off.

Hopefully the roads will be clear by then. I live near Broad Street and I-270 on the west side.

If that's too soon, I am already planning an improved version and should have it up and running in a few weeks.

The current configuration sounds great as long as I don't play a DVD audio at 192K sampling rate.

I'd be happy to come again.

I've been hoping to find someone/people who would like to actually work on building and/or designing speakers.

I happy to come listen. The last time I heard speakers I really liked was years ago in Manhattan, but they cost $20,000 (Madrigal Revel Salons).

I'd be interested in hearing Mark's speakers, I'm assuming they're finished by now?

I'm in school now, so I don't get to buy new toys for a while. Otherwise I'd buy some of those 3 inch Aurasound drivers to play with.

I've been getting together every Sunday with a friend from work to do speaker building. Last Sunday I just got my new (from old parts) garage PC setup and running so we'll finally be able to start doing measurements. Should have both some Aethers and BAMTMs done within a week or two, or three...

I was thinking of getting my router table setup to make some waveguides like the one Zaph made for his WGTMM...

Just a reminder, I've got pretty much a full wood shop for making cabinets, and, I've got a big air compressor and a spray gun, if anyone wants to take a shot at spray finishing we could try to build some kind of "paint booth" with 1x2s and plastic sheet? Or, if you want to just paint outside you're welcome to use the compressor + paint gun, as long as you clean the paint out of the gun when you're done.

Let's get another meeting goin :smash:

SY said:
:cop: critofur, I've pulled a post of your that personally attacks another member AND drags fights from other forums over here. Please don't do that- your speaker posts are much more interesting.
First of all, let me apologize for stretching the rules a little too far? Sorry. :fim:

I was treated unfairly :tons: and I didn't know where else to express my frustration:sigh: as that moderator doesn't seem to allow anyone to disagree with him on the forum where he moderates:whip:. (how can you call that a "forum"?) I wished for the community to know, rather than suffer silently. I didn't think I expressed any of that information in a particularly inappropriate manner. Though, I suppose my judgment always errs on the side of honesty rather than etiquette. :nownow::blush:

I had attempted to give helpful advice :angel: to other members on that other forum, and, because a moderator disagreed, I was silenced, banned, and my IP banned:smash::RIP:. I suppose it is a flaw of mine that I don't respond well to unfair treatment.

This post is free from any personal attacks and does not name any particular person or website, is that OK?

I have asked other members to post on that other forum on my behalf previously, and they have done so, for the greater benefit of all.
:grouphug:

rossl said:
I ordered a new version of my latest circuit board and should have it built in about two weeks.
Ross,
Devin and I are building our first DIY amp kit (well he is, but I'm helping a little) the 3886 chipamp. Seems like you have a lot of experience in this area.

Do you have an idea what might be the cheapest way to get a good clean 200 watts (at the minimum) per channel good down to 2 (or four, if that's much easier) ohms? I've seen various people's comments about avoiding plate amps (zuch as Zaph) though I don't imagine there's anything inherintly bad about putting an amp on a plate :p

I'd like to make active bass bins, possibly with an active electronic crossover, feed it from my receiver's pre-outs, and drive the mid + tweeter section with the receiver's main outs.

The alternative, that I've been considering vaguely for years now: using my PC as an active crossover and using six channels of my reciever to drive a pair of 3-way speakers, one amp channel to each driver.

rossl said:
it's going to be a really tall order to get 200W out of a chip amp design. It may be much easier to grab one of the subwoofer amps from Parts express.
Hmm, some of the amps at 41hz.com are rated up to 500W per channel, but they seem to be out of stock of all the high power models at the moment.

I'm spending my time lately designing a DAC. I have a prototype that sounds really good. :D
I like Panasonic's DAC idea: no DAC - all digital, all the way to the outputs. (Models such as the SA-XR57) I haven't heard them yet, but when my dad had to replace his class A reciever he got one and said it was a big improvement.

Can there really be much improvement over a decent quality run-of-the-mill DAC? I admit, I don't like the sound of my Onkyo reciever much on music (I think), but, I always thought that other than the clipping behavior, and, how much headroom your amp has for dynamics, the difference in speakers was so much greater as to almost make changes in other components relatively insignificant?

critofur said:

Can there really be much improvement over a decent quality run-of-the-mill DAC? I admit, I don't like the sound of my Onkyo reciever much on music (I think), but, I always thought that other than the clipping behavior, and, how much headroom your amp has for dynamics, the difference in speakers was so much greater as to almost make changes in other components relatively insignificant? [/B]

I consider speakers and DAC to both be essential.

The speakers convert our signal from electrical energy to the acoustical energy domain.

The DAC converts the digital signal to the analog signal domain.

Once you make either domain change, any errors made in the conversion process mean that part of the original is gone for good and there is nothing much that can be done to get it back.

I have gone through a lot of equipment over the years, and I have had a number of seperate DACs since the 1990s. So now I'm doing my own. :D Of course, I don't expect you to believe me without listening to the results, so we should set up some Columbus DIY listening tests some time.

I haven't have the chance to listen to a good digital amp like your dad has.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.